When should I start pH balancing my water? Pics Included

OMGReptar

Hey everyone! My seedlings are currently on day 4. So far I’ve just been keeping the top soil moist with tap water. Should I start to pH balance the water and what would be a proper pH for Happy Frog soil?

Attachments

• DE3A6F69-C223-4050-A84E-22A00045908C.jpeg
    DE3A6F69-C223-4050-A84E-22A00045908C.jpeg
    768.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 4D8AF1E3-9867-466B-AC04-AA2495D696ED.jpeg
    4D8AF1E3-9867-466B-AC04-AA2495D696ED.jpeg
    630.7 KB · Views: 85
  • DD5AA0AC-5A3B-4BF3-BF86-6D14C98630FF.jpeg
    DD5AA0AC-5A3B-4BF3-BF86-6D14C98630FF.jpeg
    636.1 KB · Views: 87
Happy frog is fine just water tap will do fine ph is not needed in soil only hydro set ups and coco.Happy frog is all I use just for that reason it is perfect out the bag.
Oh dang! Thanks for letting me know, I wish I would have asked before I purchased the pH control kit from General Hydroponics lol. How come the soil doesn’t need the pH balancing? Also, I got the Fox Farm big bloom, grow big, and tiger bloom. Are those ok to use later on?

They will sell you anything even if it's for hydro only lol. Happy frog is specially made for growing cannabis it has ph buffers and all the good stuff like beneficial fungus and microbes and other elements like humic acid in my honest opinion it is the best you can get it is idiot proof in my book.
When I transplant these into 5 gallon, I do plan to use Ocean Forest. I just heard that Happy Grog was better for seedlings. So do I keep watering just the top soil now or when is it best to start a full watering?

Happy frog is fine just water tap will do fine ph is not needed in soil only hydro set ups and coco.Happy frog is all I use just for that reason it is perfect out the bag.

I can kill my plants with tap water with a pH of 10 no problem only takes 3 weeks. I'm in soil.

Test your water pH its important even in soil.

Anything between 5-7.5pH will work.

Tap water with chlorine in it will kill seedlings as well. Let water sit out in a container overnight and then pH test.

Never had an issue here guess my tap is the shiznit!My tap has a ph of 7 that is why.But i have read some literature that says ph and soil is way different than ph in hydro or coco.so much that ph is almost never the issue and most likely you have over fed underfed or over or under watered them plants grow fine outdoors as long as it rains enough and not to much even with acid rain.and again happy frog is ph buffered so you should not need to ph balance tap water because almost all tap is ph balanced at the pumping station to about put 7 ph.For human consumption.With calcium and magnesium added for taste.Just like with bottled water .

Bob, you are putting out misinformation. Chlorine WILL NOT kill seedlings. Tap water is just fine. Stop trying to scare the new folks.

The only reason we pH adjust our water is so that artificially chelated nutrients can break apart as they are designed to do, within the proper pH range. If you are not running chelated (synthetic) nutes, or havent gotten to them yet, there is absolutely no need to adjust pH of your incoming fluids.

I can kill my plants with tap water with a pH of 10 no problem only takes 3 weeks. I'm in soil.

Test your water pH its important even in soil.

Anything between 5-7.5pH will work.

Tap water with chlorine in it will kill seedlings as well. Let water sit out in a container overnight and then pH test.
I call BS @bobrown14

Bob, you are putting out misinformation. Chlorine WILL NOT kill seedlings. Tap water is just fine. Stop trying to scare the new folks.

The only reason we pH adjust our water is so that artificially chelated nutrients can break apart as they are designed to do, within the proper pH range. If you are not running chelated (synthetic) nutes, or havent gotten to them yet, there is absolutely no need to adjust pH of your incoming fluids.
Thanks Emilya, can you please tell me if the Fox Farm (tiger bloom, grow big, big bloom) are considered “synthetic?”

Thanks Emilya, can you please tell me if the Fox Farm (tiger bloom, grow big, big bloom) are considered “synthetic?”
Yes, the grow big and the tiger bloom are edta chelated, the big bloom is actually an organically safe, natural product. When you use these three in combination as per the feeding chart, and especially if you also throw in the three solubles, you are conducting a synthetic grow. Salts will build up as the nutes break apart in the soil, those salts being the EDTA itself that binds them together in the bottle, hence the strong recommendations to do a flush every couple of weeks in a Fox Farm grow.

There is no way your tap has a ph of 10 that's way to high.Science baby
Capture.PNG

Wanna to see pics of 2 different pH pens saying the same reading?

Well water, we live on a dolomite lime deposit. It's sorta ok outside in the garden with lots of soil, in a container not so much.

Chlorine will fer sure kill seedlings and my water with high pH WILL KILL my plants. Seen it with my own 2 eyes.

With Chlorine its about the concentration over 4ppm it will become toxic to plants and fish.

It will gas off overnight if left out.

The last city I lived in has ppm reading in the +250ppm range. What was in the 250ppms? Chlorine and chlormine as well has a healthy dose of fluoride and some chemicals too keep the pipes from rusting.... yes it will kill plants over time with repeated use.

if it won't kill you or your animals, it won't kill your seedlings. If you can spray it on your grass and it doesn't kill your lawn, it won't kill your seedlings. If you can use it to water your tomatoes, peas, corn and onions out in the vegetable garden, it won't kill your seedlings. It takes swimming pool like concentrations of chlorine to become toxic to plants and animals.

You mentioned well water... lots of well water is not fit for drinking and its high alkalinity makes it also unsuitable for plants directly out of the bucket. If a city tried to pass this off as drinking water, the leadership would be run out of town on a rail. Apples and oranges... quit passing off BS as the truth. Tap water pretty much by definition has to fall within the safe limits for both pH and chlorine.

This old chestnut again !

A public swimming pool with high a concentration of chlorine will damage plants but you will need a lot of it.

I'm pretty sure over in America chicken meat factory's use chlorine on the meat it self for cleaning !

Must be safe on food as well as in water for human consumption

I'm also a soil grower (biobizz) for many years & most of the time I water straight from the tap with out a problem... Oh I use to work in a commercial green house growing other plants some 20k at times, germinating thousands of seedlings that all was watered from the tap never, never had a single issue.

detailed-Truog-pH-chart-1024x717.jpg

The above chart is the range of PH nutrients work in soil so in essence it is the soil PH which needs to be balanced & not the liquid feed.

The above chart is the range of PH nutrients work in soil so in essence it is the soil PH which needs to be balanced & not the liquid feed.
sorry, but this is not correct. When you water to saturation, that column of water/soil has a pH exactly the same as the fluid you just watered with... the molecular weight of the water compared to the soil overrides everything else... the container has no choice but to assume that pH of the incoming fluid. It is imperative that your fluids come in at the lower part of the soil range of 6.2-6.8 and then the higher base pH of the soil with its buffers forces your fluid/soil suspension to start drifting upwards through the entire useable range. When your soil has dried out, from the top down, the soil assumes its base pH, at the top end of the soil pH range. There is a reason that all of the advice and all of the publications don't just say to adjust to a specific number, although there are those who do actually profess that you must always water at 6.5 pH. The goal is to move your container THROUGH the ENTIRE pH range, with every watering... not shoot for some specific number that favors one set of nutrients over the others.

Your chart shows you the mobility of chelated nutrients in that soil/water mix. Some nutrients are more mobile at the lower parts of the range and some at the higher.... and by allowing drift to happen, each element is picked up in its turn as it becomes the most mobile.

sorry, but this is not correct. When you water to saturation, that column of water/soil has a pH exactly the same as the fluid you just watered with... the molecular weight of the water compared to the soil overrides everything else... the container has no choice but to assume that pH of the incoming fluid. It is imperative that your fluids come in at the lower part of the soil range of 6.2-6.8 and then the higher base pH of the soil with its buffers forces your fluid/soil suspension to start drifting upwards through the entire useable range. When your soil has dried out, from the top down, the soil assumes its base pH, at the top end of the soil pH range. There is a reason that all of the advice and all of the publications don't just say to adjust to a specific number, although there are those who do actually profess that you must always water at 6.5 pH. The goal is to move your container THROUGH the ENTIRE pH range, with every watering... not shoot for some specific number that favors one set of nutrients over the others.

Your chart shows you the mobility of chelated nutrients in that soil/water mix. Some nutrients are more mobile at the lower parts of the range and some at the higher.... and by allowing drift to happen, each element is picked up in its turn as it becomes the most mobile.

So basically ya telling me I'm WRONG for posting chart with a range of PH nutrients work with in a soil whilst ranting on about the PH buffering effect of soil !

Really........ that is the smallest font size I could find, bla

Back
Top Bottom