When to start counting flowering days

Start your count when you see pistols. Just because you flipped the lights does not mean it's flowering. It's a process the plant goes through which usually takes 2-4 weeks depending on what strain you are growing.

That's why I posted this thread, because from my previous and the current op, they have been preflowering since week 2 or so on in veg from clone, and the day I flip the light every node have preflowering except the newest growth obviously, and after 1 night of 10 hours then in to 12/12 since 2 days ago, I now have new growth of pistils at the very top of the main stem. So when do I start counting. Today? Or first night of their 12/12? On my last grow they were done 54 days from flipping the light and it was a 49 days flowering white widow X big bud, which I have in one bucket and a bubblegummer in another, which is a 56 days flowering girl, and they are both doing the same :)

sorry, but that is incorrect. flowing period begins at flip, otherwise the 12 week flowering Sativa's I grow would need 15 weeks. howeveer they are already at 25% amber at 11 weeks, and ready in 12..

I got to say at the flip,

when the veg is done,the first light cycle in 12/12 is the first day of flower

I dont believe sexual maturity and flowering are the same thing

I understand what your saying, couple of thoughts

on my current plant it was vegged for 12 weeks,showed preflowers at 6 and for the next 6 just chilled

Ive kept plants in veg for 6 months,flip my lights and 50 days later harvest,so I would agree there is a sexual maturity,but it wont go on to flower untill photo-period 12/12 is enacted.

IF it was all based on plant maturity,how do the 12/12 from seed guys do it? no veg and 65 days later its done,no veg,no maturity ??

flowering hormone build up starts after 12 hours darkness, and the process is mostly invisible to the naked eye, but it doesn't mean it hasn't begun; the flowering period begins before any flowers are visible..

you can choose to not accept this, and accept only that your plants have a flowering period some three weeks less than everyone else's, or not, either way, it doesn't change the fact that flowering begins at flip :peace:

As soon as flipped to 12/12 period. Like previous poster I've had plants backed up in veg 6 months and 8 weeks hhad pistils. And I can take a clone that has pistils and it is in veg quite awhile so pistil as the judgement is wrong

I'm wondering that as well...I cannot see it being from first sign of pistils, cuz I saw pistils as far back as when they were cloned from the mother. The first sign of pistils is much too vague...not precise enough, one person might think it's in full flower mode, while another might not think that for a week or half a week..too much space of confusion. If you go from the first day of the "tricking" process (12 & 12 light/dark cycle), then you'll know exactly when each strain turns from that important day. Once the hours get cut down to 12 hours or less (+/- for various strains and sativa/indica ratios), the flowering hormone is introduced via the photosynthesis process...makes more sense and would be more precise. For example, you'd know that you started tricking both your sativa dominant strains and indica dominant strains at the same time...knowing that the sativa will take a month or so longer than an indica dominant strain. The other way, there's a gap for differences of opinion...you may see signs of flowering when another might not see it for a week later...that's 7 days mixed up. My 2¢ worth...if that. lol

Back
Top Bottom