White House Responds to DEA Raids, Vows to End Policy

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Washington, DC -- White House Spokesman Nick Shapiro reacted to new Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) raids at medical cannabis collectives in California, saying he expects President Obama to end that policy when a new DEA Administrator is seated. “The president believes that federal resources should not be used to circumvent state laws, and as he continues to appoint senior leadership to fill out the ranks of the federal government, he expects them to review their policies with that in mind," Shapiro said.

The statement puts the Department of Justice and the DEA on notice of a change in federal policy, and indicates that continued raids may not be tolerated. "Americans for Safe Access acknowledges President Obama's continued pledge to end federal interference with state medical marijuana laws," commented Caren Woodson, Director of Government Affairs. “We look forward to working with the President and his Administration to enact long-term policies that support safe and legal access to cannabis for therapeutic use and research." Americans for Safe Access (ASA), the nation’s largest medical cannabis advocacy organization, sent policy recommendations aimed at harmonizing federal and state law and encouraging research to President Obama and Congress earlier this year.

Shapiro’s statement followed a groundswell of public opposition and critical media following a DEA raid in South Lake Tahoe on January 22 and four simultaneous raids in the Los Angeles area on Tuesday. ASA members and other medical cannabis advocates responded with thousands of phone calls to the White House and an Internet campaign on the President’s web site, Change.gov, asking the President to fulfill his repeated campaign pledges to not use federal resources to interfere with state medical marijuana laws.

Medical cannabis raids intensified under former President George W. Bush, with more than one hundred paramilitary style raids, new indictments, and letters threatening property owners who rent to medical cannabis facilities with prosecution and civil asset forfeiture. "More than 72 million people live in a state that has enacted laws that authorize the limited use and distribution of cannabis for therapeutic use," Woodson said. "The White House's comments have provided patients and their loved ones a sense of relief, and we hope the President and our Attorney General will keep this pledge in mind when considering appointments to the DEA and Office of National Drug Control Policy."

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Americans for Safe Access
Copyright: 2008 Americans for Safe Access
Website: ASA : White House Responds to DEA Raids, Vows to End Policy

I'm lighting candles, crossing fingers, just all around praying that thers followup on this by the administration. For too long the DEA has been able to rob these places. And it has been robbery... they hold up the place with guns... take the money and the meds. It hurts too many people....

This is some of the best news this old man has heard, maybe this is where society starts to pull its head from its ASS and evolve some, Am I glad W. is gone away......far away, thanks to Mr. Obama I live with a little more peace today than I did yesterday.
Waaaahoooo !!!

A huge step in the right direction. To my mind, if they can end the raids, then decriminalization of small amounts for personal use nationwide is not far behind and is the next logical step in ending the war on decent Americans. :peace:

This is BIG! Sonic420 said it perfectly.

President Obama would have nothing to gain from having this statement released and then not following through, he's already elected.

GONE> the local LEO rationale that MMJ is against federal policy
GONE> the same argument used by local governments like san diego
GONE> states needing to fear federal persecution if they go MMJ

like i said . . .
BIG

GONE> the local LEO rationale that MMJ is against federal policy

Also, just yesterday we saw South Dakota using federal law as an excuse to avoid passing their own MMJ law. It was something like, "Even if we did pass such a law, MMJ would still be subject to federal prosecution, so our law wouldn't do anything."

That logic is now GONE too! Here come my pom-poms: :cheer:

Tommy Chong would make a great new DEA administrator.

now that we've had 24 hrs. to feel good about this . . .
it will only be a policy, this admins policy
its not a law change
when obama goes so could the policy so we need to do everything we can while the sun shines.

Yeapper, according to sound bites I heard:
Pres. Obama says he doesn't want to spend his political power on "that issue".
Not sure what the exact wording of the question was
But
it's a pod cast from NORML national.

Who can afford Kellogg brand stuff?
Must be nice :cheesygrinsmiley:
We all will have to research the store brands we buy too,
make sure they aren't kellogg culls :cheesygrinsmiley:

a good bi-partisan dea honcho would be ron paul

I second that nomination :cheesygrinsmiley:

I'd rather see Ron Paul as head of the ONDCP

He would do a great job at least for the first week

On the second week, there would be nothing left to do because he'd have laid off the DEA as a non-constitutional agency :cheesygrinsmiley:

everyone needs to get on change.gov, setup an account and join the marijuana initiatives so we can keep pointing him in the right direction....

Back
Top Bottom