Why transplant?

dfw-guy

Is it really necessary? I've been reading a lot of grow journals and they all start the seed in a small container then transplant to its permanent home. Could I just simply start the seed off in its large permanent home? Would I face any disadvantages?
:thanks:

Can I have the top inch of a 2 gallon pot filled with seedling soil and have the rest filled with miracle grow organic potting soil? Also the miracle grow is prefertilized for 2 months and i'm planning on going to 12/12 about a week after the seedling sprouts. I'm not looking for a big plant. Well that's the plan anyways.

Miracle Grow is no good brotha.

The time released nutes may kill your plants. You’re much better off investing in more expensive soils like Fox Farms OF, or something similar. Your plants will thank you.

Fox Farms also supplies excellent ferts for your plants.

Oh and yes, you can start them off in your finishing container. For a 90 day grow you’d want at least a 3 gallon pot.

From my understanding the transplanting shocks your plants. Shock can be a good or bad thing depending on what your overall goal is.

I have used Fox Farm Ocean Forest for years and have been very pleased with the results. I do add 10% perlite to it but that is all you need except the ferts later on

Oh, and to answer your original question, I was taught that you want to start in smaller containers so A) you can start more seeds at once (never start with less than 5 IMO) so you can pick and keep the best, and, B) it has been my experience that I always get a major growth spurt every time I transplant. I will do a total of 4 transplants - start in 16 oz cups, then to 1 gal then 3 gal in the middle of veg, and finally 5 gal when I'm ready to flower Hope this helps a little

I returned the miracle grow, I had no idea it was such crap.
I found a place 25 min away that sells FoxFarm - Ocean Forest - Organic Potting Soil 18lb bag for $11. Do I even need to give my pant nutes after this? Here's the product detail.
-
Ideal for containerized plantings. Light texture and well aerated. Contains earthworm castings, bat guano, and micro-nutrients. Premium blend of good things from the earth and sea. Ready to use.

I was thinking about using FoxFarm - Peace-of-Mind - Fruit & Flower - Fertilizer alone. here's the product detail on the fertalizer.
-
Specifically designed to supply nitrogen for early season growth and higher percentage of phosphorus to increase luscious fruit and flower development. This fertilizer will also establish very healthy root systems.

I found a place 25 min away that sells FoxFarm - Original Organic Planting Mix - SOIL 20lb bag for $11. Do I even need to give my pant nutes after this?
You should be fine without nutrients for the first 3-4 weeks. After that, you will want to start feeding them. Start your nutes at 1/4 strength and then start increasing to full strenght over time.

Back
Top Bottom