Will 35 year old seeds sprout

Some people say brick weed or swag sucks but I used to live in New Mexico right next to the border and down there you could get a quarter pound of brick for like 100 bucks and if you don't have any weed at all, swag looks like an oasis in the desert for a man who is about to die of thirst. Now, brick weed isn't all crap. Sure it has seeds in it most of the time and some of it is really crappy but some of it is actually pretty well grown. Some of the bricks would be better than others and they would have some pretty good buds in them.

I would be far more worried about pesticide, paraquat (etc.) residues than I would about quality and taste.

I totally agree with you there TS. The whole reason marijuana is grown in Mexico in quantity in the first place is because of the balloon effect. When the police clamp down on production in 1 area large scale producers simply moves somewhere else where there is less enforcement. If marijuana were legalized it could be grown like any other crop and we would not have to worry about money ending up in the hands of international gangs of criminals in Mexico or pesticide residues or contaminated chemical spills and trash from clandestine "off grid" diesel grows. The cartels that are dressing like policemen and terrorizing the country would lose most of their revenue if marijuana were legalized. However, sadly, I don't think this is going to happen any time soon. Americas politicians are mostly old, out of touch, rich, fatcats who are against all drugs and prostitutes except when they are using them.

G247 and TS,

These seeds are all from top notch strains of the late 70's early 80's. They were some favorites for me and why I saved them and gave them to a guy that used to grow way back when.

I used to have so many seeds around it was ridiculous. I swear I threw pounds of brick weed seeds away. I would only save exceptional seeds. I just wish I could have peeked into the future and known to keep them stored better than my buddy's attic.

Colombian Gold, Maui Wowie, Kona Gold and Oaxacan.

Close to a 100 or so seeds of the first three and a medium size ziploc bag of the Oaxacan. I used to go over a guys house that got bricks of that from across the border. There would be at least a hundred seeds in a big foot long bud. It was bricked, but packed very nice. Long buds laying side by side in a shoe box sized brick. Not just crammed in there like regular Mexican bricks. Unfortunately 50% or more of the weight was from stems and seeds. But that's the way it was back then.

The Colombian Gold was from Miami. Very multi colored weed with a mostly gold over tone. Great kick ass weed that would get you going, or couch lock you depending on the situation.

The Kona Gold was for the most part all gold weed. Very nice sativa high.

The Maui Wowie was all green and probably the first sensimilla type weed I ever saw that had very few seeds which was rare for those days. more of an up high that was good for afternoon partying.

At least that's the way I remember them.

However it still can't compare to the hash I smoked in Germany in the early 70's. That's why my quest goes on, and why I am the HASH HOUND. :hookah:

Ahhh the good old days.

I have exhausted all but the Oaxacan seeds trying to get a sprout and no luck. I will try to get more from my friend on the next visit. It's a mission to get one of them babies to sprout now.

I am going to give high tec seed cross strains two or three more grows (since I already have the seeds). If I don't get the results I have been looking for, I am going to grow land race single strains and see how they come out.

Nothing I have grown recently except for maybe the White Widow is exceptionally great. It's all good, just not great. Or should I say not as described by the breeder.

Everyone I have turned on to the recent crops thinks it's real good.

But, I still haven't found what I'm looking for.
Hey that could be a song.

I tried the same methods and nothing for me either. I however got lucky at a yard sale and found an Areogarden set up. It's a hydroponics type system. Now all but one LSD seed didn't sprout. I have one moby 1 cannobi and 4 mystery sprouts. It's a nice setup for doing seeds or clones. I haven't tried any cloning yet, have to many seeds to mess with first.

Here are some pics of my sprouts. Top pic shows what they look like after 5-7 days. bottom shows 2 weeks.

ThreeSprouts.jpg

Areogardenmystery.jpg

TY Mr Krip

I have seen that one before, and it's the only thing I haven't tried yet.

Next time I visit my friend I am going to get more of the old seeds from him and give it a try.

H

Absolutely nothing. :rip: The closest thing to a sprout was one of the seeds cracked open and some white goop oozed out. I used up all but the Oaxacan seeds so far. I might give more of them a try as soon as I get my next grow going.

I still haven't seen my friend yet to get the rest of the ColGold and Maui. He kept them in his attic. Perhaps the worst place for storage with the heat/cold in our area. Temps here in an attic probably range from below freezing or close to it in the winter, and 140+ in the summer. I'm sure 35 years of that didn't help them.

The Colombian Gold was from Miami. Very multi colored weed with a mostly gold over tone. Great kick ass weed that would get you going, or couch lock you depending on the situation.

In the late 70's I was in Florida. I believe I had what you describe above it was billed as "rainbow" it had the most amazing vivid colors.

I visited an old friend to catch up with and turn to him on to a bud of my NL. He pulled out an old box from back in the day that had all his old bong, pipes etc. AND he had bags of seeds I had given him about 35 years ago.

A huge zip loc bag almost full with old school Oaxacan seeds. And a few other small envelopes with maybe 100 seeds in each marked; Colombian gold, Kono gold, and Hawaiian. I remember each of them being excellent smoke.

What's the chance if any that a few will sprout?
Any advice on how you would go about it to give them the best shot at sprouting?

Gealous to say the least. I had about 15-16 film canisters, you know the plastic ones grey with a black top, for 35mm film. Anyway, i had several years worth of seeds I saved from back in the 70's. I finally got around to finding them. They had been stored perfectly, in my basement, no light heat moisture, etc. Well, i open the box they were in and GDit! Mice had chewed through the plastic containers and eaten each and every sedd! those little Fuc%ers!!! There was some Acapulco Glod, Panama Red, Oxacian, Thai stick and many, many more. I grew up in chicago, and this is what we got (on occasion) of the good stuff...Most I hadn't a clue of what they were, but they were ALL good $hit. Thanks for the post to get me dreamin' again...

well the few posts in the other old seed thread got me motivated enough to try a few more.

I started 14 Oaxacan direct in dirt last night. I have a LOT of them. If anyone ever had Oaxacan from the 70's they will know why I have so many seeds. They were all buds about a foot long and LOADED with seeds.

But I only had 1 Maui left to try. Next time I visit my friend I will get more.

I'll give them about 10 days or so.

If I even get one sprout I'll be ecstatic, especially if its the Maui.

I even have a new strain name for the Oaxacan if one ever sprouts. "the Rat"

The Mexicans I used to get the stuff from called me "el Raton" because I would look through a ton of bricks to pick out the best looking 40 or 50 for me.

revisited my old friend the other day and he dragged out the rest of those 35 yr old seeds. there were a 2 surprises; Thai stick and seeds, and about a gram or two of what I believe to be some Colombian

I have tried sprouting each of them over the past year or so except the Thai which I will give a try first.

here is a little glimpse of the stuff, and of course I tried some in a bowl and believe it or not I am high. Not fresh WW high, but I def got a buzz.
Columbo_multi_color_78.jpg

Thai
Thai_stick_n_string.jpg

this is a large zip of Mexican mix
Mex_Mix_big_bag.jpg

this is a medium zip of Oaxacan
Oaxacan_medm_bag.jpg

together I bet it is over 2lbs of seeds
2_bags_Mex.jpg

Colombo Gold
Columbo_Gold_78.jpg

Kono Gold
Kono_Gold_78.jpg

Colombo mix
Columbo_78.jpg

Maui Wowi
Maui_Wowi.jpg

Freak'in cool on the stick!!!I hope they sprout .... I would germinate a handful of the others all at once and see if you can get 1 or two going, you got noth'in to loose!!! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Good Luck

That's so freakin cool. I was following another thread with some really old bag seed ..... here it is. It's actually a pretty good read.

Olderthandirt's 42 yr old bad seed

I've got some Maui Wowie that is grown locally here. It is some really fantastic shit. I have no idea how close it is to the original strains. But if this is what your stuff is like, then you are a very lucky man. But, if the Maui Wowie I have growing right now decides to hermie on me ..... I may just let it. I would love to have some seeds from it for later.

Back
Top Bottom