Will weed dry in 70-80% humidity?

Yes you can but 80% - that’s mighty high rh to start with. Don’t crank up the dehuey, that’s pulls moisture down too quick. Yes on indirect fans, keep air moving. Do you have mini hygrometers? If not order some right away.... it’s cheap tool to protect your bud as you cure & dry

How much you got? Ever tried low & slow fridge curing? It’s the bomb. Try this split your harvest do 50% low and slow fridge cure and the other 50% traditional dry hang and cure into jars with burping.

the only thing you need for low and slow curing are paper bags and a refrigerator. It’s a long link but first page or two will get you started.

Here’s link.... Low & Slow fridge cure

my 2 cents - see what other replies come in

Yes it will dry, but only to a point.
We usually measure the moisture level of bud by putting a hygrometer in with it in a sealed jar. Generally people people dry their bud to about 60% RH at room temperature. This does not mean that the bud is 60% water- it’s actually less than 10% water. It’s a measurement of the moisture in the air around the bud. It shows indirectly how moist the bud is.

If the air directly around your bud is 70% RH, the bud can’t get any drier than that. It’s against the laws of physics.
70 is getting close to the safe zone for mould, but you’ll want to dry it a little bit more than that, somehow.

Yes it will dry, but only to a point.
We usually measure the moisture level of bud by putting a hygrometer in with it in a sealed jar. Generally people people dry their bud to about 60% RH at room temperature. This does not mean that the bud is 60% water- it’s actually less than 10% water. It’s a measurement of the moisture in the air around the bud. It shows indirectly how moist the bud is.

If the air directly around your bud is 70% RH, the bud can’t get any drier than that. It’s against the laws of physics.
70 is getting close to the safe zone for mould, but you’ll want to dry it a little bit more than that, somehow.
what could i do? it almost never gets lower than 70% here :\ and a heater isn't an option that shit pulls at least 1500w

isn't a fan blowing on them gonna dry them out to a crisp eventually no matter the humidity? i've always worked with 60% humidity with grate results, however my harvest never lasted me this long into winter, and humidity gets a bit higher... can 10-15% humidity more make that much of a difference?

isn't a fan blowing on them gonna dry them out to a crisp eventually no matter the humidity? i've always worked with 60% humidity with grate results, however my harvest never lasted me this long into winter, and humidity gets a bit higher... can 10-15% humidity more make that much of a difference?
Yes, a fan blowing directly onto the plants will dry them out to fast.

The fan does not have to be directed at the hanging plants. It should be blowing air near to the plants. The idea is to have air movement in the area of the hanging plants.

what could i do? it almost never gets lower than 70% here :\ and a heater isn't an option that shit pulls at least 1500w

Yes I would move it into the room with the lights on for the final dry. I’d dry it most of the way in the moisture darker room first. Just keep a close eye on it and air flow going between the buds to avoid mould.

Dark is better but a bit of light for the last day or two won’t hurt much. I assume we’re talking regular room light and not drying them in a tanning bed....
If you’re worried about it then make a drying box in there or partition part of the area off with a sheet or whatever. I dry mine in my flowering room- inside a converted fridge for a drying box.

Yes air flow will speed up the drying. That can be a good thing in the early stages if you’re worried about mould. Definitely avoid completely dead/stagnant air in the drying area.

But no matter how much wind you have blowing, it can only equalize the bud to the overall moisture level of the air. 70% RH air blowing at 100 miles an hour will never dry stuff out past that 70 RH point- it just gets there quicker because the moisture exchange is faster.

In reality you’re probably going to be ok only drying it to 70. It’s maybe just borderline.
It will be a bit moist to smoke, but the main problem is that mould likes to grow in damper conditions. You can’t store bud in sealed containers if the conditions in there are much wetter than 70% RH. It will mould. I like to get mine down to at least the high 60’s before jarring. Tobacco is usually kept a bit moister and boveda makes 69 and 75 packs too- so I guess you can get away with it in the right conditions.

On the other side, don’t dry much less than the mid 50s or this tends to screw up the curing process and the bud smells bad. Around 60 is the generally considered the sweet spot.

on a big plant especially if you are new to curing.... it really helps to break it down into single branches, rig up an indoor clothes line or two, leave air space between each of the branches. it’s more work but the airspace between helps it to shed moisture
yep, exacly what i did

Yes I would move it into the room with the lights on for the final dry. I’d dry it most of the way in the moisture darker room first. Just keep a close eye on it and air flow going between the buds to avoid mould.

Dark is better but a bit of light for the last day or two won’t hurt much. I assume we’re talking regular room light and not drying them in a tanning bed....
If you’re worried about it then make a drying box in there or partition part of the area off with a sheet or whatever. I dry mine in my flowering room- inside a converted fridge for a drying box.

Yes air flow will speed up the drying. That can be a good thing in the early stages if you’re worried about mould. Definitely avoid completely dead/stagnant air in the drying area.

But no matter how much wind you have blowing, it can only equalize the bud to the overall moisture level of the air. 70% RH air blowing at 100 miles an hour will never dry stuff out past that 70 RH point- it just gets there quicker because the moisture exchange is faster.

In reality you’re probably going to be ok only drying it to 70. It’s maybe just borderline.
It will be a bit moist to smoke, but the main problem is that mould likes to grow in damper conditions. You can’t store bud in sealed containers if the conditions in there are much wetter than 70% RH. It will mould. I like to get mine down to at least the high 60’s before jarring. Tobacco is usually kept a bit moister and boveda makes 69 and 75 packs too- so I guess you can get away with it in the right conditions.

On the other side, don’t dry much less than the mid 50s or this tends to screw up the curing process and the bud smells bad. Around 60 is the generally considered the sweet spot.
ok, i know this is gonna sound like a dumb questio, but lets say i had a room that is always 20c 70% humidity, would the buds cure there? or do they still need to be put in a jar? if like you say they'll get to a point where they can't dry further, there shouldnt be a need for jars for curing? (i'm just asking, not that i would do such thing)

i found a room where humidity is around 60-70, will try there!

ok, i know this is gonna sound like a dumb questio, but lets say i had a room that is always 20c 70% humidity, would the buds cure there? or do they still need to be put in a jar? if like you say they'll get to a point where they can't dry further, there shouldnt be a need for jars for curing? (i'm just asking, not that i would do such thing)

i found a room where humidity is around 60-70, will try there!
Yes to some extent. Or- yes, but oxygen is not really our friend in this case. O2 is what degrades the bud quality more than anything else in long term storage.
But yes- I do sometimes pretend for a while that my drying box is a curing jar, and don’t get around to removing the bud from it till the next harvest a few weeks later when I need the space. It’s not the safest practice really, you have to make sure that the RH is actually stable and won’t swing too wet, even after you introduce a bunch of plant material, or too dry later because you had a heat wave outside or something.

Back
Top Bottom