Yield

How many plants ? Size of area? Light used? ..... many growers using hid shoot for 1 gram per watt. So with a 1000MH/HPS . 1000 grams . However as a beginner usually half that. Check growboss on YouTube he has a video explaining light/canopy/yield.
Yeah that's my guy I seen his video here is a picture of my setup 2/600watt led 2 cookies kush 1blueberry
4cf88545ad5e7538bdc99bb69ac982b2.jpg

How many plants ? Size of area? Light used? ..... many growers using hid shoot for 1 gram per watt. So with a 1000MH/HPS . 1000 grams . However as a beginner usually half that. Check growboss on YouTube he has a video explaining light/canopy/yield.

On my third or fourth grow and still haven't even hit .5 gram per watt. I feel like that measure doesn't scale up or down entirely depending on light intensity. In other words I have a feeling it's easier to hit that with 1000 or 600 watts versus 400 watts.

My best yielding plants have come in right around the 1 gram per watt mark. I don't usually try to measure- but safe to say that lots of them come in at .5 grams/watt or less, and overall I'd probably be happy enough to average .75- but have never done the math. Maybe even .75 is an exaggeration - factoring in the plants that just don't do well at all. I don't know. Just once in a while I'll weigh one up to see. I can do this because I have four scrog screens per light, and each one (at 19" x24" in size) takes up 25% of the available space under a 600 watt light. Therefore I need over five ounces per screen to reach that 1 gr/watt mark.
Some plants/strains tend to yield better than others because the buds are denser and heavier for the space they take up. Other plants can have huge mounds of very fluffy bud that dries to weigh very little.

Yield isn't really that important. It is important- but if I like the smoke from a plant and it grows well and is happy, then I'm generally happy with it. If I can find a plant that grows better bud and more of it, then that's good too. But I'd rather have an ounce of bud that I love, than four ounces of bud that makes me braindead and paranoid. Each strain and each phenotype of that strain is slightly different, and maybe I'm just fussy, but it's only about 5% of the strains I've tried that I would like enough to smoke every day.

#1 to me is to grow the plant in near perfect health from start to finish. That's really not easy and has been my number one challenge over the years. Without that- I just don't know what the plant is capable of.
On top of that- you want to maximize the space- so probably a little bit of training to spread the plant out under the light and minimize gaps. There's really only so much area under the light available to be filled.
But really - plant health is the magic starting point, and after that you can start tweaking things to try and maximize the potential yield. But there is no other factor that's nearly as important as plant health. Plant health is the baseline.
Imo there isn't any magic way to make a plant grow huge yields like 2 grams per watt, as some people will claim. Maybe it's been done- who knows, but at one gram per watt I'm really not seeing much physical space left for more bud so I wouldn't expect huge gains after that.

But re your question on what yield can you expect- I would say- just try not to make any expectations at all. Expectations can ruin a good relationship :) Just focus on keeping those girls happy, and not screwing up. That means - don't screw up. Don't overfeed, overwater, fry them with the wrong ph, introduce spider mites, blab and tell the wrong people about your grow and then have a paranoia attack and kill the plants and dismantle everything, don't get sloppy with elctricity and cause a fire- etc etc etc. I've done all these things and they all reduce yield. :)

Looks like you're doing just fine so far. Just take the middle road, read lots and pay attention.

Back
Top Bottom