Help with my son

You should listen to what the doctor said. They know whats the best for your son. Maybe you should ask your doctor what should be the next thing to do.

Hi Leminlimetam, what is causing your son's anger ? Is it triggered by anything, or is it just happening ? Has he spoken to a Psychologist or Psychiatrist ? Sorry for all the questions ! I know a bit about anger issues and causes, I have some issues myself and know that meds can help, but also have their own issues. Some more info would be great. I don't want you to tell anything that you aren't comfortable about. I am not a judgemental person, I genuinely want to help you get your young lad the best help, so he can be a great young man.

Weed for anger is a difficult one to answer. I knew a guy many years ago who actually had an adverse reaction to weed in that it actually made him angry and violent, so for him weed wasn't a good idea. Most people however, including myself, feel more relaxed after smoking weed, although it really depends on strain and the individual.

Find out what's causing your son's anger. You can't fix the problem if you don't know what the problem is. The problem could also be you as a parent (not trying to point the finger of blame or anything). I had issues with regards to bullying and girlfriend problems in my teens and 20's and sure they caused a lot of problems and anger issues, but my biggest problem is and always has been my own family, especially my parents. For example, there's one thing my parents used to say rather frequently that would always upset me to the point I'd either get angry and yell or I'd just walk out the room. Every. Single. Time. Yet in over 20 years of me reacting the same way to something they say they tend to completely ignore me and my feelings and still haven't figured out that it upsets me. And since they used to ignore or dismiss me every time I tried talking to them about things that upset me ("toughen up princess", "you're so sensitive", etc) eventually I stopped bothering to try to talk to my parents and my emotional explosions were the only form of communication I had that I thought might actually get through to them.

As for getting help, I've personally lost a lot of faith in the so called 'health care' system, be it physical or mental health. So many times I've gone to see a doc and the diagnosis has been way off. I saw a therapist and her diagnosis was way off too. So be careful. Doctors do not always know what's best. In fact it often seems like they are taking a wild shot in the dark and hoping to hit the mark. It's like they're playing darts, blind-folded, after spinning around in circles two dozen times, and with the board moving. I've met some seriously clueless 'professionals' yet because they have 2 or 3 letters before or after their name they think they know everything and couldn't possible be wrong. If your son does need help (and don't we all sometimes) I'd recommend a psychologist and not a psychiatrist. Psychologists are the talk therapists whereas psychiatrists are the drug dealers. And after studying psychology for years not only are the diagnosistic labels mostly made up and complete bulls**t but the psychiatric drugs are not 'safe and effective' as claimed and for the most part are no more effective than a placebo (except in severe cases, but in mild to moderate cases most psych meds are no more effective than placebo), and they also come with a whole host of adverse effects, including homicidal and suicidal ideation and action.

Nightmask had nailed it. Doctors are not always good at their job. Just like all the rest of us in different professions, some are exceptional and some are poor. I have experienced both ends of the spectrum with my conditions and I am lucky to now have a great Doctor who is 100% supportive and is definetly working with me to get better. I have seen numerous Psychiatrists, Psycholigists, Surgeons and Doctors. Don't be affraid to shop around to find someone who your son is comfortable talking to, let him go in by himself and let him tell his story. He might not feel able to talk to you about what is causing his issues, that may not be your fault, he may not want to burden you. I didn't tell my wife about my PTSD for 3 years, and even now I don't tell her about all my problems, thats not her - its me. Just the same as the way kids will tell one parent their issues, even a Grandparent, because they see that person as being a 'safe' person to talk to. Your son needs to find that safe person, be it a parent, friend or Doctor and you need to be prepared to help no matter what the issue. Try speaking to his friends, in a casual way raise the problem and see what comes up. He may be getting a hard time at school or struggling with certain subjects. I think medications should be the last line of defense, solving any outside factors should be the first road to go down. As has been said before, a lot of psychiatric medications can have a lot of awful side effects, especially in young people. I wish you well and hope you can get the boy some good help, and he becomes a happy young man.

Back
Top Bottom