Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: First Grow Guidance: 400w MH/600w HPS & Soil

Plant & Nug of the Month Winner
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Grow Guidance: 400w MH/600w HPS & Soil

Thanks Doc & Boss. Today is watering day and I'm gonna jack the flowering nutes.

More stretch huh Boss, oh man? I just measured they range from 51" to 55" inches from the top of the buckets. I have about 18" or so more to headroom to work with so hopefully, that will be enough.

I was checking the moisture level earlier and three of the plants were dry and need water. The tallest plant is still plenty moist. It's almost like it's not sucking up the water like the others, yet they were all watered at the same time.

The top looks strange as well. Here's a pic.

The leaves are curling down at the very top. Other than that, the plant seems OK. Do you think I'm having issues with the roots and disaster is about to strike? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Harry

Post Thanks / Like

mg def.
    I do believe.
    Let it dry out and put a teaspoon of epson salt in the next watering.

Post Thanks / Like

Great, epson salt it is!!

Thanks a bunch DaMagoMan. I'll let you know how it works.

Harry

Post Thanks / Like

That's a teaspoon per gallon of water BTW

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmm, what size pots?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using 5 gallon buckets. I know I'm pushing it but I really didn't expect 6 footers this soon. Next time I'll switch to 12/12 sooner. I'm thinking maybe around 15-16 inches.

I did pick up some epsom salt today from the drug store. Looks like the plant will need watering tomorrow.

I'm also getting a good bit of yellowing around the bottom leaves. Here's some pics.

I have a PH and nutes test kit and I was planning on using that tomorrow to see if there was something way out of kilter.

I wonder if a flush is what I need? If I do flush, should I then put some nutes in the last gallon I run through?

I would really like to see these little budkins mature.

Thanks!!

Harry

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Harry! Great looking girls! I don't add any nutes when I flush, I give them a break. I did try orange juice the last time at harvest with the last flush though. They still look slightly over-watered to me. On average about how often are you watering?

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful pics!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also getting a good bit of yellowing around the bottom leaves. Here's some pics.
    That's pretty NORML,
    the light can't penetrate All the way through the plant to the bottom leafs.
    So they yellow and drop.
    Cure:
    Add side and bottom lighting

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ms.Fox. I had the macro mode on with that last one.

4204all, thanks for the info. I have been watering approx. every 4 days since the plants went above 5ft. As I mentioned earlier, the plant with the top leaves curled down like a ram's horn, didn't use as much water and was still moist. I waited 6 days on that one and I just watered it today with the epson salts. I have been following the fox farms soil feeding schedule in as far as nutrients goes. I noticed today that the schedule recommended feeding with every other watering but I've actually only skipped a few feedings, going with just plain water. I'm using RO water, btw.

I also noticed the FF feeding schedule recommended giving a shot of the veg nutes "Grow Big" that's high in N during weeks 3 & 4 of flowering, so I added that in as well, along with full strength flowering nutes "Tiger Bloom" and "Big Bloom" organic.

I decided not to flush just yet.

Da'MM,

I was thinking the yellowing was normal but it seems to be moving up the plant kinda fast. Maybe the the extra shot of veg nutes I kicked in there was what it needed. I also added in 1 tsp of epson salt today, as you suggested.

I hear ya on the lighting. With these plants hitting 6ft, it is kind dark down there. I wanted this first grow to be more natural so I didn't do much to the plants except to crimp the top stem a couple of times in a effort to make them bush. That certainly worked. I really would like to keep the plants somewhere around 4.5ft so with my clones, I'm going to take more measures to keep them low by more super copping or LSTing, then moving them to 12/12 sooner. I am considering add a few CFLs and/or some UVB spectrum CFLs.

Thanks for the help y'all, as well as putting up with all my newbie Qs.

Please let me know if you see me going off the rails.

Harry

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to update my progress so far. The sick plant isn't doing well. I tried the epson salt with no success. Either the plant is locking out nutes or more likely, it's root bound. I flushed today as a last resort and it seemed to do a little better. I guess I'll know more in a day or two.

It lost/losing a lot of the larger leaves. Here's some pix of what they look like. Do ya'll think it's just root bound?

They rest of the plants are doing well at the moment. Due to their size, I still have concerns they may all go the way of my sick one.

Welcome to the jungle.

...and some obligatory flowering pix.

So, if my sick one up there is root bound and flushing doesn't help, aside from transplanting, what is the best approach to keep it flowering as long as possible?

Thanks ya'll!!

Harry

Post Thanks / Like

Just let it go, it'll just be a lower yield.
    From what I've seen of my Sativas.

It doesn't seem to be spreading to the rest of the plant, does it?

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it was moving right up the plant Da'MM, only effecting the larger leaves at the moment. The flush seemed to help but I won't know how much it helped 'til tomorrow. The die off of the largest leaves went to around 3/5ths of the way up the plant. :(

Harry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I really think it's root bound man.

"I suspect they are done with the major stretch" is what I had said earlier, just to clear that up.

The reason you are seeing select branches doing that is beacuse those roots are rotting out. ( I think)

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect you're correct Boss. I noticed a little color coming back to some of the leaves after yesterday's flush. I removed all the other withered and dead ones. I'll limp along with it for awhile. I have another smaller one ready to go in it's place if she bellies up.

Thanks

Harry

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast