Whats a good CalMag product to use in the flowering stage?

i'm a newb, but i read on different occasions and times, that under nu circumstances you should add molasses to your hydroponics directly as it'll feed slime algae, pythium and whatever bad is in there .... dunno about soil, coco and other substrates my main focus is hydro till i gathered a lot more experience ....

is it safe if you have no issue and those 'don't add molasses' warnings were for already plagued hydroponics or does it increase the risk of infecting your plant ?!?

at the moment i'm using sensi cal-mag xtra from an, no issues and my developing mag deficiency from the early weeks is gone :)

Does that milk ever smell bad at all Tead?
A couple months ago I had the awesome experience of getting home from shopping to find that a gallon of milk had emptied out completely in the back of my car. It's been an ongoing project to deal with the horrible consequences. I don't pick up hitchhikers much anymore...

I don't grow hydro either, but this is my understanding. Molasses contains calcium and magnesium yes, but it also contains a lot of sugar. The sugar serves as food for bacterial critters, a lot of which may grow into destructive slimy forces of rot. If you dump it into your reservoir it may help things grow in there which you do not want growing in there.
A common practice is to use this to your advantage by brewing up a 'tea', which contains beneficial bacteria and sometimes fungi. You add the molasses to the mix, the theory being that you are growing a horde of hungry beneficials which, when dumped in with your plants, will eat harmful bacteria/fungi, as well as performing a few other very helpful jobs. Presumably you'd still get the cal/mag benefits but the sugar would be mostly gone at that point.
If you dump mollases straight into the res, you're just feeding whatever is in there, which may not be a good idea.
Slightly off the cal/mag topic, but if you're interested in this subject- check this link. :thumb:

Live or Sterile? Why I choose Live

i'm already brewing, mainly to get all possible food for bad bacteria out of my res as the good ones should eat it all up and support my plant as best as possible in the process. that's where i got my 'no molasses directly into the res' information.
but as i'm new to the game every little piece of information i can absorb works as a puzzle piece to get more experience and thus better yields and healthier plants and might even help others in the process :)

:thanks:

Nope. I think there's some significant differences between a spill gallon in a car (ummmm eww!) and 2tsp/gal in a hempy bucket.
Perhaps something interesting will start sprouting in your trunk! Be sure to leave the trunk light on.

Hmmmm... Yes good idea. Something 'interesting' might come to life back there. Cool

Back
Top Bottom