Taproot question

Need2Succeed

Why do some taproots grow mostly in straight line or slight curvature?? From my experiences, that is what I'm familiar with.

Though, this question came about when I became impatient toward a seed I planted direct. Without germinating before planting. It looks like this....
420-magazine-mobile1461908620.jpg
420-magazine-mobile635176877.jpg
420-magazine-mobile220687626.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Taproot question..

Why do some taproots grow mostly in straight line or slight curvature?? From my experiences, that is what I'm familiar with.

Though, this question came about when I became impatient toward a seed I planted direct. Without germinating before planting. It looks like this....
420-magazine-mobile1461908620.jpg
420-magazine-mobile635176877.jpg
420-magazine-mobile220687626.jpg

Not sure why you're handling her like that. You're causing a high chance of the seedling not growing up healthy. You're exposing the tap root to light. You're touching it with filthy hands lol. Dude plant that thing she looks fine.

Pure. Potent. Vapor

I was impatient. Did not want to beat a dead horse. So I dislodged it from under soil to check. I'm learning from that one how my soil is reacting to water. It's soil from last year's outdoor gardening. I loosened soil, provided more adequate moisture. As the drainage was not thoroughly and evenly displaced. And that curvy alien looking taproot is what I was met with.

After a brief 2 minutes. Soil was amended and seed was replaced. At a more proper distance to the surface. As when I dug it up, it had mad itself far more doward in soil than I belief is comfortable distance.

I knew I'd get criticism, though this is an expedition of all pathways. For me to learn and progress and maintain.

I believe in a small grow. Analytics are far more manageable and attainable because I'm able to micro analyze each individual plants behaviors. All throughtout life cycle.

I clean hand thoroughly. But I agree I should've worn gloves.
Either way, what's done is done and I hope to see this seed break soil and catch up to other 3 babies.

All in all I'm focused currently on maintaining climate as its most important. When I say climate, that is all inclusive to the total environment being given.

I have a fan on timer so that the environment maintains consistent throughout the work day. Allowing me to gain adequate watering technique. I'm trying to have soil nearly wet when watered. Prior to next watering I allow to dry. I do get scared about underwatering. I do believe over watering is more of a likelihood for me at this time. Since I'm using recycled soil from last year's outdoor garden. I will be transplanting in soil I've been introduced to called Nectar of the Gods; a soil shipped to a local store near me. The soil ships from Oregon I believe I was told.

I was impatient. Did not want to beat a dead horse. So I dislodged it from under soil to check. I'm learning from that one how my soil is reacting to water. It's soil from last year's outdoor gardening. I loosened soil, provided more adequate moisture. As the drainage was not thoroughly and evenly displaced. And that curvy alien looking taproot is what I was met with.

After a brief 2 minutes. Soil was amended and seed was replaced. At a more proper distance to the surface. As when I dug it up, it had mad itself far more doward in soil than I belief is comfortable distance.

I knew I'd get criticism, though this is an expedition of all pathways. For me to learn and progress and maintain.

I believe in a small grow. Analytics are far more manageable and attainable because I'm able to micro analyze each individual plants behaviors. All throughtout life cycle.

I clean hand thoroughly. But I agree I should've worn gloves.
Either way, what's done is done and I hope to see this seed break soil and catch up to other 3 babies.

Same here bro. About the small grows. I myself am trying to get the same yield with one plant as I would get with a sea of green method in the same area.

Pure. Potent. Vapor

If the seed is planted upside down as well as too deep, then the tap root can go upwards, and then when it breaks the surface and finds light, it has curve back down. If it's planted close to the surface it can tell which direction is down easier because they sense the UV from the light on the surface. So even if they are planted upside down, they know to start sending the tap root before it breaks the surface.

I like watching seeds sprout. The basic function is that the tap root finds which way is down, starts growing in that direction and then the seed is heaved up out of the soil and forced off by the cotyledons ( those first two leaves ) forming. Here's some pics I took of this happening... Sometimes the seed husk ( the shell basically ) gets pulled off the leaves as it exits the dirt, but other times it can stay stuck to the cotyledons for a while. I have given plants some assistance if they haven't got it off for a while, but so far any plant that can't shed the seed husk off on its own has been weak.

IMG_20160817_204616.jpg
IMG_20160817_204713.jpg
IMG_20160817_204725.jpg
IMG_20160817_204759.jpg
IMG_20160817_204518.jpg
IMG_20160817_204546.jpg

One way you can tell what happened with the one you have there, is that there are some parts of the tap root which are off-white, kind of yellowish. In the middle it's like almost pearl white. The ones that are off-white are the parts that have been exposed to light. You can kind of see how in my very first pic, the tap root that's exposed to light starts to kind of turn green and turns into the stem.

I don't bother to germinate. Plant them twice as deep as the seed is wide. That's usually very shallow. If they don't make it, they probably weren't worth keeping. But then maybe that's something you could test... Do seeds that don't sprout fail to do so because they're genetically weak, or do they only end up weak and less viable because they didn't sprout well.

Anyway I hope some of this was helpful.

If the seed is planted upside down as well as too deep, then the tap root can go upwards, and then when it breaks the surface and finds light, it has curve back down. If it's planted close to the surface it can tell which direction is down easier because they sense the UV from the light on the surface. So even if they are planted upside down, they know to start sending the tap root before it breaks the surface.

I like watching seeds sprout. The basic function is that the tap root finds which way is down, starts growing in that direction and then the seed is heaved up out of the soil and forced off by the cotyledons ( those first two leaves ) forming. Here's some pics I took of this happening... Sometimes the seed husk ( the shell basically ) gets pulled off the leaves as it exits the dirt, but other times it can stay stuck to the cotyledons for a while. I have given plants some assistance if they haven't got it off for a while, but so far any plant that can't shed the seed husk off on its own has been weak.

IMG_20160817_204616.jpg
IMG_20160817_204713.jpg
IMG_20160817_204725.jpg
IMG_20160817_204759.jpg
IMG_20160817_204518.jpg
IMG_20160817_204546.jpg

One way you can tell what happened with the one you have there, is that there are some parts of the tap root which are off-white, kind of yellowish. In the middle it's like almost pearl white. The ones that are off-white are the parts that have been exposed to light. You can kind of see how in my very first pic, the tap root that's exposed to light starts to kind of turn green and turns into the stem.

I don't bother to germinate. Plant them twice as deep as the seed is wide. That's usually very shallow. If they don't make it, they probably weren't worth keeping. But then maybe that's something you could test... Do seeds that don't sprout fail to do so because they're genetically weak, or do they only end up weak and less viable because they didn't sprout well.

Anyway I hope some of this was helpful.
Wisdom. Exactly what I was requesting. Thank you for bringing info to me. And to you I offer this. My seed that brought forth my questioning has begun to break ground level.

420-magazine-mobile739242845.jpg
420-magazine-mobile868470533.jpg

Not liking how there's a notch where stem meets cotylodens. Though it breaking soil is more of a feat than the defeat. Seedling seems to be laying horizontally on soil; because of the Notch I mentioned? This is one alien looking germination/seedling phase. I hope it thrives we shall see..

420-magazine-mobile1826659801.jpg

Not liking how there's a notch where stem meets cotylodens. Though it breaking soil is more of a feat than the defeat. Seedling seems to be laying horizontally on soil; because of the Notch I mentioned? This is one alien looking germination/seedling phase. I hope it thrives we shall see..

420-magazine-mobile1826659801.jpg

She's taking her last nap before life bro leave her alone. Lol.

What notches are you talking about?
Pure. Potent. Vapor.

Pure. Potent. Vapor.
Hahaa. Now that's funny and why did I not think that. Must be my pessimistic attitude. I best clean my vibes up. I know plants sense is keen. I must think growth and happy thoughts! Lol Thank You!

Hahaa. Now that's funny and why did I not think that. Must be my pessimistic attitude. I best clean my vibes up. I know plants sense is keen. I must think growth and happy thoughts! Lol Thank You!

She looks healthy to me

Pure. Potent. Vapor.

Pure. Potent. Vapor.
To me it just had looked as if there were a 90 degree angle. But, she's now elevated herself. All done playing in dirt seems. She's awoken.
420-magazine-mobile2114958669.jpg

Doesn't matter which way you plant a seed. The tap root will not grow upwards. Plants know which way is up or down because of gravity. Gravitropism - Wikipedia

Doesn't matter which way you plant a seed. The tap root will not grow upwards. Plants know which way is up or down because of gravity. Gravitropism - Wikipedia

Ive seen that "scientific" explanation and well, I believe thats not fact since people have expressed claims of taproot breaking soil. Cause being that when planting too deep; not enough light penetrates soil to detour root from growing in an upward direction. Maybe why my taproot got so curvy!? (planted seed too deep.

Ive seen that "scientific" explanation and well, I believe thats not fact since people have expressed claims of taproot breaking soil. Cause being that when planting too deep; not enough light penetrates soil to detour root from growing in an upward direction. Maybe why my taproot got so curvy!? (planted seed too deep.

I have seen taproots come out. They do that when the soil is too hot. They try to run from it. You don't need any light till the seedling sprouts. As far as your taproot being curvy I have no idea.

Well. This seedling of subject is now looking like this.
420-magazine-mobile1785925533.jpg

Is possible over watering is causing early yellowing /crisping of the cotylodens as its pictures shows. The pot is far from ideal with no drain hole. I just have goal of being hands off much as possible until transplant time. Any suggestion as to when transplant time should be? I'm going to provide a great recommended soil upon transplanting.

Well. This seedling of subject is now looking like this.
420-magazine-mobile1785925533.jpg

Is possible over watering is causing early yellowing /crisping of the cotylodens as its pictures shows. The pot is far from ideal with no drain hole. I just have goal of being hands off much as possible until transplant time. Any suggestion as to when transplant time should be? I'm going to provide a great recommended soil upon transplanting.

Also, I know cotylodens feed plant nutrients and then die off.. Question is, is this too early for these cotylodens to be turning as shown? Remember, this is the seed I uprooted during germination phase. Then repotted.

Back
Top Bottom