Strange formations on fan leaves

Thyming

Has anyone ever seen this before? No one seems to know what it is. This pic was taken through my magnifier. You need to zoom in on the pic to really see it.
99160eaf52f37359f56f311c6d84ef86.jpg

Do they easily come off the leaf or are they stuck on? The black spots look similar to sap marks left behind by thrips or spider mites that bite individual cells. I'm not used to looking at those under macro so can't say for sure.

Aphids leave similar but larger black tarry like spots on the leaves which cause white mildew to form.

They also low-key look like eggs

Thrips. This is there excrement. The bugs are small, white in color when young but go dark brown as they get older. The silvery spots are where they have eaten the leaves.

Neem oil slows them down, I mixed some with warm water a drop or 2 of soap to break down the oil and some minced chilli and garlic, for added effect. diatomaceous earth works also.

Here are some pics from my own gallery.

Screenshot_2015-04-14-23-48-45.png

Screenshot_2015-04-15-21-30-08.png

Screenshot_2015-04-15-22-05-03.png

Screenshot_2015-04-15-21-30-38.png
Nice pics! Those look like thrips in their adult stage. I usually have issues with them while they're larvae. Most don't survive but it seems like it takes a few to start the next gen.

I usually use organic certified potassium salt or spinosade insecticide and diatomaceous earth. The d. Earth is exceptionally good at deterring the larvae in foliage/soil. It can be kinda caked on or pasty but it dissipates after a few mistings/foliar feedings. To apply I mist the plant then sprinkle on similar to dusting powdered sugar on pastries.

Back
Top Bottom