Strange Leaf Texture

startergrow

I received some bag seed from a neighbor who had his plant accidentally pollenated last summer. Despite the seeds, the bud that was there was surprisingly good. He has no idea what it was (got a clone from a friend), but I thought it might be fun to grow some and see how it might turn out.

The seeds germinated fast and easy and I've grown 7 small plants in the same conditions (Ocean Forest Soil, Mars TS2000) . (Way easier germination and growth compared to some of those expensive genetics I buy, which make me wonder)

I'm cloning them and will flower to get the sexes. Then I plan on growing one and use another two to STS , to get feminized pollen, and then pollenate, in case it all works out.

They grow very vigorously with big fan leaves. One however has a strange leaf texture I haven't seen before.

Does anyone know what this might be. I'm curious before I toss it.

texture_leaf01.jpg
texture_leaf02.jpg

I received some bag seed from a neighbor who had his plant accidentally pollenated last summer. Despite the seeds, the bud that was there was surprisingly good. He has no idea what it was (got a clone from a friend), but I thought it might be fun to grow some and see how it might turn out.

The seeds germinated fast and easy and I've grown 7 small plants in the same conditions (Ocean Forest Soil, Mars TS2000) . (Way easier germination and growth compared to some of those expensive genetics I buy, which make me wonder)

I'm cloning them and will flower to get the sexes. Then I plan on growing one and use another two to STS , to get feminized pollen, and then pollenate, in case it all works out.

They grow very vigorously with big fan leaves. One however has a strange leaf texture I haven't seen before.

Does anyone know what this might be. I'm curious before I toss it.

texture_leaf01.jpg
texture_leaf02.jpg
Hey @startergrow how are you my friend.
If I had to guess, with out any details on your grow I would say you have a pest problem.
Look under those leaves. Do you see any eggs poop or bugs.
Do you have a scope just incase?
Or root issues. Or nutrient toxicity.
Can you give us the rest of the details on you grow, medium, nutrients watering? We can get to the bottom of your problem.
Bill

Thanks for the points Bill and hazer. Interesting reading on the TMV virus, supposedly the first virus ever discovered.

As more info it's been like this since the beginning so, as the setup was the same for all plants and I can't see any bugs, I am leaning towards the virus or genetic mutation.

I'm going to get rid of it anyway.

Thanks for the points Bill and hazer. Interesting reading on the TMV virus, supposedly the first virus ever discovered.

As more info it's been like this since the beginning so, as the setup was the same for all plants and I can't see any bugs, I am leaning towards the virus or genetic mutation.

I'm going to get rid of it anyway.

Seems to be a perfectly healthy plant and growing well despite the appearance of the leaves why get rid of it if turns out to be a female?
Seems to me to be a genetic trait like you often find in DJ Shorts Blueberry line which often displays whorled and twisted leaves, etc. Personally if it turns out to be a female I would keep it.

Seems to be a perfectly healthy plant and growing well despite the appearance of the leaves why get rid of it if turns out to be a female?
Seems to me to be a genetic trait like you often find in DJ Shorts Blueberry line which often displays whorled and twisted leaves, etc. Personally if it turns out to be a female I would keep it.
Second that. Some of the Marijuana growing sites say that the plant can be kept if it is growing well anyways. They recommend tossing the plant only if the plant stops growing. If it producing new leaves, etc then the suggestion is to keep it but watch that it does not spread.

Most of the pictures I found when looking up TMV on weed plants will show a mosaic pattern which does not seem to be the case in the photo which brings up Bill's msg.

If I had to guess, with out any details on your grow I would say you have a pest problem.
This is another possibility. I was thinking more along the lines of Russett or Hemp Mites but those are so small that they are not visible even with the microscope attachments for phone cameras. Gotta have a microscope like they would use in a labratory. Those Russett or Hemp Mites are really, really small. Maybe get something for treating those mites just to be on the safe side. Should notice in a week or two if the weird leaf growth stops and the plant goes back to growing normal looking leaves.

Research TMV virus...this is a classical example
I agree with this ^^^ cull and move on. Be sure to clean your hands and tools before and after so you dont spread the virus.

If you're a cigg smoker this could be the source. You hands... wash before and after touching your plants.

Appreciate the comments. Good points about hanging on to it and if it wasn't one of 7, I started from seeds, I would likely try to isolate it and see what happens.

Going to play it safe and remove it.

I am growing indoors and usually do RDWC. As I'm trying to get pollen and have lots of small plants I went with soil which I am not very experienced at. If it was bugs do they sometimes come with the soil, since they are in a grow tent? (Foxfarm Ocean Forest)

Appreciate the comments. Good points about hanging on to it and if it wasn't one of 7, I started from seeds, I would likely try to isolate it and see what happens.

I am growing indoors and usually do RDWC. As I'm trying to get pollen and have lots of small plants I went with soil which I am not very experienced at. If it was bugs do they sometimes come with the soil, since they are in a grow tent? (Foxfarm Ocean Forest)

Those leaf's look like the skin of an old toad nice 'n' warty :thumb:

Personally I've never seen any think like that to date, even with fuzzy jedi skills I would not even like to 2nd guess the issue at present.

None the less I shall meditate upon the subject to see what light shines on the subject.

Mmm at first I thought about leaf gall but that is an insect thing, so I cross referenced with some other info on cannabis which is showing pretty slim information at present.

We could ponder over genetic issues as well but that is not a common issue I've seen.

So I think we may well be slipping into a grey area & not the 50 shades of grey either !

Yes they can. Fungus gnats seem to be the most common that I've seen.

Yes, bugs and diseases can easily travel in soil. I have most commonly seen it with soils that were stored outside in the elements for a while.

Yes, bugs and diseases can easily travel in soil. I have most commonly seen it with soils that were stored outside in the elements for a while.

I use soil that ingredients came from outside in the woods.

With bugs and soil there's only 1 that I know of that is really tough in containers.

Root Aphids. Easy enough to get rid of.

Add some beneficial nematodes to your soil mix and some neem cake.

With bugs and soil there's only 1 that I know of that is really tough in containers.

+1 for the Neem meal (cake)!

I've noticed a HUGE reduction in fungus gnats and other little buggies since adding the Neem to my soil recipe. And it's a great nutrient amendment, too!

I was specifically referring to bagged soils, not soil open to the elements completely :D
Root aphids isn't one I have gotten yet, but I have definitely gotten regular aphids, beetles, worms and fungus gnats out of bagged soils that were stored outside unprotected.

+1 for the Neem meal (cake)!

I've noticed a HUGE reduction in fungus gnats and other little buggies since adding the Neem to my soil recipe. And it's a great nutrient amendment, too!
Oh yeah... you bet. Try sprinkling some on the top of soil inside a tote with a lid. Wait a few days and open.... surprise! As good as bokashi.

Back
Top Bottom