Strange Plant Growth?

Super Weeder

420 Member
Hi,

Just looking for some feedback on how/why this plant is growing strange. I topped this plant roughly two weeks ago and the the internodes grew twice in diameter but the bottom part of the plant stem hasn’t changed much. So it seems a little top heavy now. Possibly this will correct itself over time or I shouldn’t have topped it? I have plenty of air flow and the stem is strong but it seems like all the plant growth went to the top half of the plant. The plant genetics are unknown, It appears to be Indica based on leaf shape, I was able to get a seed from early 70’s to germinate. I appreciate the help... Thanks!

F161DB8D-0154-46CB-B3D6-3A48BF9F3C60.jpeg
O

The bottom part of the stem is a lot more "woody" than the upper parts-
so it's stronger than it looks-it'll get beefier as the plant grows.
Pepperhead's fan suggestion is a good one -it'll strengthen the whole
plant, like the wind would do outdoors.

Yes seeds are from early 1970’s and it took many attempts before I actually got a few seeds to pop. I questioned viability from the start but figured It was well worth the time and effort. Possibly my success was due to just finding a few good seeds out of the bunch but I tried so many different methods and all failed with exception to this run. I will try a couple more tries with this method in the future not a lot of bandwidth or space.

Soaked seeds in Peroxide/H2O mixture for 12 hours.
Soaked seeds in Sugaree/H2O mixture an additional 18 hours.
Placed seeds in damp paper towel on plate with Sugaree/H2O mixture 3 days. No activity so gently squeezed 50% of seeds until side of seed had separation. Placed back in paper towel additional 3 days found 2 of the seeds that were squeezed popped a root.

Only one of the two germinated seeds survived, the one that died stopped growing after a week and turned brown. This plant has been growing extremely slow and seems very sensitive compared to other plants I’ve grown.
I will turn up the fan speed to see if it helps build the stem up more..I appreciate the help! :thumb:

Yes seeds are from early 1970’s and it took many attempts before I actually got a few seeds to pop. I questioned viability from the start but figured It was well worth the time and effort. Possibly my success was due to just finding a few good seeds out of the bunch but I tried so many different methods and all failed with exception to this run. I will try a couple more tries with this method in the future not a lot of bandwidth or space.

Soaked seeds in Peroxide/H2O mixture for 12 hours.
Soaked seeds in Sugaree/H2O mixture an additional 18 hours.
Placed seeds in damp paper towel on plate with Sugaree/H2O mixture 3 days. No activity so gently squeezed 50% of seeds until side of seed had separation. Placed back in paper towel additional 3 days found 2 of the seeds that were squeezed popped a root.

Only one of the two germinated seeds survived, the one that died stopped growing after a week and turned brown. This plant has been growing extremely slow and seems very sensitive compared to other plants I’ve grown.
I will turn up the fan speed to see if it helps build the stem up more..I appreciate the help! :thumb:
Cool that you have seeds from the 70s
I remember pulling seeds from my colombian gold and sprouting them back then. Tried growing back then and had no skill or understanding
I would love to see the end product
Hope it is a female :Namaste:

Damn @Super Weeder congrats on germination those 1970's seeds!! :slide::bravo: Do you know what region they are from? i am super jealous. Please start up a grow journal so we can follow your journey with these old genetics :adore:
Regarding the growth - everything looks normal and happy to me. Keep doing what you're doing :thumb::yummy:

Possible polyploid.

Poly-ploid plants have different sets of leaves than 2 apposing leaves. They will come out in sets of 3, 4 or 5 sets or more.

Looks perfectly normal to me and healthy.

Just curious, why did you "top" it??

Also if you want to get better at your seed germination stop using paper towels. Soak the beans in a VERY weak solution of H2o2 and water until you see a tail.

Once you have a tail then put that into a peat pellet re-hydrated with boiling water and let cooled then tail down in the peat pellet. Or make your own soil pellets (even better).

Lots of chemicals go into making paper towels and even some have anti-microbial additives which is very bad for seeds. Then there's the chemicals.

Once a seedling emerges, unwrap the peat pellet and into a weal soil mix.

The early stages of seedling growth are the most important and the most challenging for success.

Plant is in good health and growing at a good pace now, I am sure the increase in fan speed helped it along. The base of the plant has has increased in size and is very stable now. I appreciate the comments, help and feedback.

Do you know what region they are from? No idea I was sure the seeds were Columbian based on the feedback I got. Seeds were collected in jars, marked by year and kept in a cool spot in the basement. I used the 1971 jar since I thought it was cool to grow a plant from the same year I was born.
Just curious, why did you "top" it? Trying to increase the size, I have been training the plant as well to some extent. This plant is growing very bushy at this point and was thinking I should clip the bottom 2 branches off and try and make a few cloans.
65CDA392-5C17-403A-95E5-ECFB8E0C309A.jpeg
A643ECC4-4811-4F2A-A721-4BB7E0660D14.jpeg
ABE4F093-13BB-4A9D-A560-ED85804D0FD8.jpeg

Looking Good!

Looks great @Super Weeder :ganjamon: Some good growth between your last update. I'd definitely go with taking those two bottom nodes as clones. I would also suggest some low stress training, pulling the top nodes down to open her up.
She's looking great, i am a sucker for old seeds and i can not wait to see what she's going to do for you! :headbanger::yummy:

Topping does not increase plant size.

They look healthy - very good job. Looks like a indica tho. Not sure they grew them in Columbia?? Yes the leaves are looking a little different. Nothing to worry about.

If you want to grow in a big scrog and have 70-90 days to VEG
it may work for you.

Not sure about increased yield tho.

I would argue no.

Caveat - if yield is your main goal you need to VEG long. By that time an untopped plant will already be harvested and the next crop going strong and maybe even close to chop.

So the yield argument becomes a thing.

Edit:

Those plants those seeds came from in the 70s - they were most definitely NOT topped.

Something to think about.

Looks like a indica tho. Not sure they grew them in Columbia?
Yes I am sure it’s Indica as well was originally hoping for Sativa but I am just happy as heck that it’s growing. The feedback I got from the family member that collected the seeds that most of the stuff he had back then was Columbian. He also mentioned that he had also collected some seeds from when he was in Vietnam and it could also be Afghan or Hindu but most of the seeds he collected were from Columbia.
If yield is your main goal you need to VEG long?
My main goal was to grow the plant VEG long duration, I really enjoy growing these things who would ever thought growing MJ would be so therapeutic. This seed germinated back on March 27th it took 8 days to pop a root so it has been a slow go right from the start. I have some other plants growing as well all feminized so I plan to push them all in flower at the same time. Most likely it will be in the 150 day range when that happens. Still no idea on the sex of the plant but the plant is very sensitive to changes compared to other plants I’ve grown.
Bottom nodes taken off and set in plugs as clones hopefully they work out. Maybe I will grown one of them out with a main cola just to find out the plants potential if it is a female. I did some additional low stress training at the top again as well to open up the plant.

150 days - wow that's a long time.

Are you taking clones?

They were doing high end cannabis down in Columbia up in the mtns back in the day. Prolly still are.

Maybe some of those plants were grown locally adapted to the higher altitudes and grew like Indica.

GL with your grow. :Namaste:

I like to grow Landrace strains. I let them grow naturally the first time to see how they grow. Make a plan for the clones for next round.
Some of them will be big yielders and good weed.

There was some high end gear running around back in the day. A lot of it came from Columbia.

Well done Weeder!
Now play her some good 70's sounds so she'll feel at home and in her own environment.

Watching......

Back
Top Bottom