Mollifier's First Grow Outdoor

mollifier

First of all big thanks to Mendo Dope and their youtube channel. Two female plants made it through to this point, which is currently the beginning of flower.

First grow ever, I chose outdoor because it seems much more simple and because I could

Strains - Durban Poison or Super Lemon Haze, I think the smaller one is durban and the tall one is SLH based on smell. purchased from MJ seeds canada, non-feminized.

I germinated 4 seeds sometime in march, using red solo cups and a small desktop lamp (I had issues with seedlings falling over but having a window sill helped). Then transplanted to 2L soda bottles.

My first big mistake was too much nutes and not poking drainage holes on the bottoms of the 2L bottles... though the leaf curling could have been something else since I have no idea what was doing it
20160427_203547.jpg
20160427_203431.jpg
20160427_203416.jpg

This is when I first started seeing ball sacks on my biggest plants, so I tossed those two away and was left with the sisters.

I struggled to keep them in the 2L bottles until the weather was a bit warmer and not fluctuating so much, I can't recall when I planted in the garden

So, now they're in the ground and I've built a cage around each plant and I'm starting to LST with green tape... I've switched from using general hydroponics fert to making compost teas. I made the first one with local compost and alf alfa pellets.

I start experiencing pests, mostly spider mites and leaf hoppers. Im pretty sure the leaf hoppers were doing this, and maybe too much N
20160606_104453.jpg
20160612_110900.jpg
20160606_104700.jpg
20160606_104555.jpg
20160606_104535.jpg

I purchased some neem oil and made a neem/soap spray and went to work on everything. This shit works. I havent seen a mite since and have been re-spraying every two weeks. I also purchased some monteray BT for worms down the road.

After this just more green tape and finding that the fencing I built the cage with is pretty tight so I've had to cut a LOT of the cage apart so stems werent rubbing apart.

Still in veg so I'm finding ways to take care of my soil, I placed hay over all the areas being hit by sunlight to keep moisture in and heat away. I also begin adding dry kelp meal, unsulphured mole asses, and maybe cal-mag to my teas... whatever I thought they might need at the time.

I currently have this issue where a few main branches began getting yellow leaf edges and crispy tips. I believe I solved the issue (at least like to think that) by flushing the soil a bit and adding some sulphur dust (the soil Ph was about 7.7?)
high enough to maybe be locking some nutes out... Doesnt seem like it is spreading anymore but I cant tell

20160821_135744.jpg
20160821_135900.jpg

Here they are in their current state, waiting for them to flower and pitifully trying to block sunlight with fingers crossed

20160825_182053.jpg
20160825_182121.jpg
20160825_182146.jpg
20160825_182227.jpg
20160825_182244.jpg

If you have any not so obvious suggestions let me hear them, I dont know how I'm going to trellis... maybe some bamboo sticks and trellis netting?

Nice plants!!
Im no expert but they look great.
The curling leaves im not sure but the discolored leaves maybe bad PH? They say no need for outdoor but Im not sure because yours is high. Bring it down to 6.5 and see. And next year too. Good way to see if PHing outdoors is necessary. I am currently PHing all but my yard grow water feed. Come check out my thread. What fun!! Nice to have an outdoor grow huh!!! Im taking full advantage this year by trying. Oh Im using all Fox Farms nutes by their schedule this year on my yard grow and they couldent be healthier!!! I had some curling leaves on a few early and I wonder if PHing then would of helped. Maybe the FF ocean forest Im using is too strong. Namaste!

I've been adjusting the Ph for most of the water and tea's I've been feeding to about 6.5 - 6.7. Im not sure how to lower the soil Ph though, I read that sulfur works but it takes a few months for bacteria to break it down or something. The yellow edges started appearing almost 2 months after they were planted so I have no clue, maybe something raised the Ph but im at a loss

I dont know either. Ive got no problems and Im wondering if the FF line up is it? With the yard grow I barley turn the dirt over,no soil prep. But this year I tried to give each 5 gal. worth of FF Ocean Forest in each hole and theyre so healthy with an incredible green. Although only past pests have been fall caterpillars, theyre coming!

It is Aug. 29th, Im located 50.7N and I'm sure my plants are in flower now. Is anyone able to tell me exactly when this plant looks like it began flower? Flowering length for durban is 8-9weeks and SLH is up to 11, I think durban poison is the flower in the picture.
20160829_161448.jpg
20160829_161500.jpg
20160829_161519.jpg
20160829_161534.jpg

This is the plant furthest into flower (I believe DP)
20160829_162119.jpg

Funny you mention using an indica, as I have a plan B and the flower period for this one is 8 weeks apparently. near 20 days less than slh, which is great because going into this I never knew when my plants would begin flower or really cared if I got to harvest or not.

This is an Early Vixen from crop king seeds, in a 5 gallon pot I think? solid plastic with some garbage muddy soil that almost killed it

20160830_112604.jpg
20160830_112548.jpg

That looks like a 3 gal. pot. Just leave it or shoot people say to up pot so maybe up pot it to 5 gal.
Im no expert but this is the most important....
Good dirt
dont over water
dont over feed
Thats it! Everything else is tweaking for better. Outside you can only control so much. Remember, weed is easy to grow! Try growing great corn, good luck! Or a watermelon like at the store, aint going to happen. Easy ass tomatoes are harder than pot. Im guessing your where its cold so hope for the best. Indicas flower early. Get the microscope. Namaste

Sept 4. So I just researched the average night time temps for my area... It hits zero C late october, so I'm basically fucked.

I looked at how I could possibly speed up the flower phase and apparently just doing everything 100% right can help. I am going to use this one last tea tomorrow, and never touch the plant again to let as much air into the soil as possible.

Same with the indica, drill a couple more holes into the plastic container for air and water when it needs it

Maybe place down a lot of hay ontop of the entire soil area to act as a blanket for the roots early october

Sept 7. Buds popping up everywhere on the Durban... Im getting some new tasty smells on the growth tips but don't see any trichome yet. Currently having a full week of cool cloudy weather and a LOT of rain... too much rain. Plus the amount of tea I used was probably excessive but they are fed.

Trying my best to keep the top of the soil dry, next step is figuring out how to support the potted indica without ramming sticks into the soil and roots

Week 3 flower. DP is going hard as fuck. Early Vixen is looking very nice and has purple in the calyx hair. SLH is still having issues with the roots I believe, dark brown spots are popping up on fan leaves in addition to the yellowing and dry tips

20160910_102820.jpg
20160910_102624.jpg
20160910_102552.jpg
20160910_102358.jpg

A lot of sun in the forecast, finally. 2 solid weeks of clouds and rain sucked but it happened at the right time

Sept. 12 I sprayed neem/soap for the last time yesterday, and some Monterey BT this morning thinking the sprays might stay on the early buds and become enclosed within the buds later, so anything that might make its way in there can eat that and die. And it might be all washed away by harvest time.

Top of the soil has finally dried out and full sun in the forecast for a full week ahead. Starting to see trichome on the DP

Back
Top Bottom