JASPL's First Grow — Durban Poison - Big Bud - Kalashnikova — Outdoor 2012

Re: JASPL's First Grow — Durban Poison, Big Bud, Kalashnikova — Outdoor 2012

dpp - I've thought about wet weather around harvest time. There really isn't much I'm going to be able to do about that. The tarps and wind resistant scaffolding I would have to build to cover and area 8' wide by 30' long and 15' high would just be immense.

So you're right - I'll just be giving them a shake and hanging them in front of the fan.

Thanks.

JASPL:peace:

Re: JASPL's First Grow — Durban Poison, Big Bud, Kalashnikova — Outdoor 2012

thats what i thought mate, most grow vids i have seen always have covers they can throw over a wooden 4 post frame, the concern is getting bud rot late in flower or it can make the buds heavy and snap the stems, but you have them supported so that should not be a problem, just make sure you give them a good shake, but even shaking them can cause problems as it forces the water deeper into the bud, its a job to know whats best, but i think as long as their is a good breeze after the rain they should dry out pretty quick, you should be ok make, plus you have enough not to worry about bud rot, your going to have more bud than you know what to do with.

but if your going to do an outdoor grow then you may as well do it properly, and you really have gone and done it properly, i wouldnt even call them plants anymore, id say you got a small forest growing, cant wait to see how this turns out, this is going to be 1 huge harvest, it took more 4 or 5 hours to trim 2 plants and 1 of your plants is 100 times bigger than my plants, even more than 100times bigger, its going to be a huge job trimming them, you will have enough trim to make a whole batch of hash as well or use it for cooking, mate you really do do it with style, why mess around with small plants when you can have a jungle like that.

you should be entering the plants in the contests mate, pic a picture and enter it in the contests this month, im sure you have a very good chance of winning the plant of the month contest, then once you have harvested it choose your biggest bud and enter that into the nug of the month contest, mate you have got winning plants their, the size of them will get the votes mate, go for the contests, you should smash it with plants like that

Week 13 Outdoors

Fox Farm Grow Big
Fox Farm Tiger Bloom
Molasses one-half cup per plant

This week I focused on adding more support to the branches, cleaning up the dead leaves in the interior of the plants, and doing some shallow cultivating around each plant.

It is striking about how these plants change from week to week. This morning I thought the girls had shrunk. But looking closely I realized the new forming flowers are adding weight and pulling the branches down. That is a GOOD thing.

I'm starting to collect supplies and make plans for harvesting. I've purchased two pairs of clippers - the spring loaded Fiskars that many are familiar with and a pair of ARS grape scissors. I've run power to one of my sheds to power a fan or two. I will be purchasing a couple of Quick Cure drying racks and a couple of dozen half gallon jars. I'm kicking around the idea of Bubble Bags to make use of all the trim. And, of course, the ever popular Radio Shack microscope.

These are photos of one of my Big Bud plants - the highest cola tops out at 11 feet high. I'm hoping 30 days from now I will be dragging out the ladder to chop this baby down.

Yes, I feel like an expectant father.

001991.JPG

0021017.JPG

003953.JPG

Re: JASPL’s First Grow – Durban Poison - Big Bud - Kalashnikova – Outdoor 2012

Hello JASPL, I'm very impressed. Thank you for such a comprehensive journal. I'm also an outdoor grower, and I know there can be a lot of troubles with pests/stealth/fungus/ and other issues that come about being outside. Some of the photos of when the plants were younger had some of the biggest fan leaves I've ever seen. Quite amazing. Can't quite believe how big they got, and this being your first grow. You definitely know hard to garden! Probably forgetting to nurse your berries, and tomatos!

Anyway, they are looking great. Hope the harvest comes out as good as the whole grow has been.
Absolutely astonishing.:goodjob:

mate the plants are looking amazing, i would love to grow out doors, them plants are going to have huge buds when finished mate, well done everything looks good my friend

Thanks Lee and DPP.

Lee, you are correct, I totally neglected my paste tomatoes this year and ended up with a crop of really small fruit. I'm thankful for my buddy's farm next door where I can help myself.

I'm really anxious about these next 30-40 days - I want these plants to finish strong.

great grow. yours a little ahead of mine budwise. will be following :high-five:

Quick Update:

All plants flowering and building nice buds., etc.

Fox Farm Big Bloom at recommended rate and Molasses 1/2 cup per week.

Continue to purchase and plan for harvest - mason jars, nippers, etc.

No problems whatsoever.

Requested Pics:

The first two pics are of the Durban Poison which is my largest plant right at about 13'. The first is of the base coming out of the ground, the next is just a few feet higher.

001994.JPG

0021021.JPG

The next two are of the Kalshnikova. This plant was quite diminutive during the early summer but then took off and is now around 9 to 10' tall. As advertised by Greenhouse, it is very "branchy." If planted in April it should finish right now at the end of August. Mine is about one month behind on that schedule.

006733.JPG

007696.JPG

The last photos are of the Big Bud. Not sure if its viewable with this post but when I roll up on the cola shot I can see some sugar forming! Very excited with that revelation. Must remember to bring my glasses out to the garden some morning.

008646.JPG

013385.JPG

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the fruits of their harvests. I'm collecting the last of the raspberries, enjoying some terrific eggplant with homemade marinara and beginning to can some green beans for winter dinners. I can't wait to begin enjoying my home grown bud.

Nice update. That is quite the forest! Growing outdoors can be tough, I had to harvest my first grow early because of budworms and bud rot, had no idea they could burrow so deep.

Best wishes with the flowers mate!

Looking great, JASPL. Mine are looking good too. I'm hoping for a yield like I've had with my tomatoes this year. I look forward to seeing more.

Thanks, Gents!

Quick Update - The branches are getting HEAVY! Spent two hours this evening going around them with twine supports and more stakes. Did some manicuring of the dead leaves in the interior of the plants. Also gave them a dose of Big Bloom and Molasses.

I'll tell you what - spend a couple hours crawling around and inside these ladies and you come away smelling pretty skunky.

Exciting times we live in!

them buds are going to be so heavy when its coming up to harvest, you might need to get some fence posts to hold them buds up, their going to be huge

Yeah JASPL, I can't wait to see some full-body shots of these utter giants from across the yard, in front of the berries? That would look good :)

Hope all is well!
~RL

Sweet bejaysus ! Amazing plants you've got here, I've got my popcorn ready for the harvest time pics.
Great job you did here...being a seasoned gardener certainly helps doing things right at the first try. Don't know how much you can go through in a year but I'd probably just stop growing for many years with what those babies are about to yield.
I wish you all the best for those last few weeks of flowering.

Quick Update:

3 1/2 inches of rain between yesterday and today - remnants of Hurricane/TS Isaac.

The branches are getting very weighed down with bud and rain weight. One large branch on the Durban Poison doubled over broken and ended up needing to be removed.

The buds on this branch are immature size and the trichs, though quite cloudy are not fully white. Regardless, I couldn't see wasting it. I manicured all the buds and ended up with a small pile in a paper grocery bag with a bottom measuring about 12" by 8" and then 6" inches deep of fluffy green bud.

I will slowly dry this in my dehumidified basement and see what come of it.

I will take pics this weekend but the plants that are furthest along all have huge colas as big around as a soda can and the length of my forearm. The trichs are a deeper white color than noted above. I expect they will be near finished within the next two weeks.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Thanks for the update, Sorry to hear about the rain and the branch. But I'm sure it will be OK.

I'll be waiting for those full body shots along with cola pics.

Best of Luck JASPL

~RL

Back
Top Bottom