Durban Poison First Grow In Soil - CFL - 400W HPS

Re: Durban Poison First Grow In Soil - CFL / 400W HPS

Happy holidays fellow farmers :)

I had to visit my folks for Xmas etc so I left these girls unattended for almost a week. They didn't enjoy optimal conditions (too cold, light too far away) but they survived and look ready for 12/12.
2011-12-29_Top.jpg

2011-12-29_All.jpg

Noticed some problems on mostly top/upper leaves. Any ideas what exactly these are?
They look like a combination of several nutrient disorders :(
2011-12-29_Problem_5.jpg

2011-12-29_Problem_4.jpg

2011-12-29_Problem_3.jpg

2011-12-29_Problem_2.jpg

2011-12-29_Problem_1.jpg

Yea, from what I googled out it's most likely it. Chlorosis and brown spots...

Probably due to PH lockout. Gotta get that damn tester asap.
I don't have any epsom salt (Mg sulfate) but I do have a lot of Mg carbonate tabs. They are actually 300mg MgCO3 + 100mg vitamin C per tab :) Anyone ever tried this? Would any kind of Mg help if my PH is off?

Allright... flowering bulb finally here: Philips Master SON-T PIA Green Power 400W, 58k lumens.
2011-12-30_Equipment.jpg

Mkay, HPS and diamond fol is up. Flowering time.
My cheapass veg fertilizer apparently has no Mg at all (no mention of it on label). So I watered and misted them with a PH 6.5 solution of Mg carbonate and vitamin C. Hope it doesn't do more damage :p
2011-12-31_Door.jpg

2011-12-31_Top.jpg

I wish you all the best in 2012. Peace...

Sooo bright and so damn yellow :) I mean compared to previous 10x23w CFLs...
It's supposed to be a successor of SON-T Agro but with more lumens per watt. No mention in specs of +30% more blue in the spectrum as for Agro. It does have a few blue spikes in spectrum charts in specs... oh well... I won't be using it for veg anyway :)

Nope, nothing below 400nm in spectrum.
Nothing significant at least. Barely a few pixels in spectrum chart.

I don't know if you have read anythin on adding UVB light to your grow or not. Good read anyway... I know it makes the garden smell harder to deal with so it has to Be doing something. There is UVB light given off by the sun, but not many bulbs.
Reminder UVB is bad for your eyes!

Actually I did a little bit of research on that. It's supposed to be beneficial for potency, curing speed etc.
But still haven't find a good guide regarding light schedule. Two or more 20min treatments per day, full 12h or even 24h as it supposedly won't stop plants from flowering....???

Also didn't find conclusive test results for UVB vs no UVB, so I'll make a little test of my own.
I found one of these UVB 10.0 in local pet shop:

compact_bulbs_100.jpg

Usable light penetration (just for reptiles or plant?) is 50cm so it can cover about 1/3 of a room. I'll put one in the far side of the room just to see the difference compared to the other side.

Cool man! I use 2 of the same repti 10.0 uvb's over my middle flowering tub. I run them for 6 of the 12 hours, on 1 off 1. Hope this helps... However I have been thinking about running them for the full 12. I think with this next run I will try it and see what happens.
I also look forward to what you think of them.
I swear the next day after putting them in, the smell was totally stronger.

Thx a lot Mark. Actually think I'll go for linear 40W/105cm bulb...
linear_bulbs_100.jpg
...place it on longer wall of the room for start, run it like you do 1h on 1h off, and see how that side performs compared to the other. If it does what it's supposed to do I'll install another one on the opposite wall.
I won't risk going for full 12h and burn my first grow :)

In other news... I installed 1 watt green LED as a safety light. I grow in my tool shed and may need to disturb their beauty sleep.
2012-01-01_Safety_light.jpg

And that damn Mg deficiency is starting to kick in really bad. All over the place. Gotta get some epsom salt first thing in the morning.
2012-01-01_Top.jpg

Yesterday I got some epsom salt and two types of fertilizers: 5-6-7+ME+Guano and 5-12-6. I'll be mixing them for P levels control. Found these recommendations for NPK levels during flowering:
Cycle Changeover 7-7-7
Early Flowering 5-10-7
Mid-Flowering 6-15-10
Late Flowering 4-10-7
Will this be OK?

So yesterday I misted them with PH'd epsom salt solution some 2 hours before lights vent on to fix Mg and S def. When lights turned on I also fed them with cycle changeover mix and some more epsom salt. Removed some fan leaves, some sick, some healthy, mostly beneath the canopy that were in the way of growth. Maybe 5-10% of all fan leaves.
2012-01-03_New_bottom_growth.jpg

Now I just checked them in the middle of dark cycle and the tops were all droopy!
2012-01-03_Droopy_tops.jpg

When I was misting them yesterday in dark cycle they were all up. WTF? Stress due to fan leaves removal or what? I know they are supposed to be a little droopy over night but like this?
Oh well I guess they'll get up with lights on.

Back
Top Bottom