CFL Cab Grow #1

homegrownFL

Hello everyone,

This is my first grow. I've been reading on home growing methods for a while and decided to give it a shot. I'm going to be using CFL's for now. Here are a few details.

STRAIN (RANDOM BAGSEED)

INDOOR CABINET GROW

GROW_CAB2.jpg

GROW MEDIUM: Soil mix equal parts black gold (see pictures below)
-REGULAR POTTING SOIL USED FOR SEEDLING

soil_mix1.jpg
grow_journal1.jpg
image_zps6d4c08ea.jpg
840d313f-9c02-4cde-8e69-6df2dee91873_zps3e7f0150.jpg

Being my first time and I have a lot to learn your feedback is welcome.

Re: CFL Cab Grow (#1)

image12392.jpg

I soaked these three for 12+ hours prior to inserting in medium in RO water and 1/3 hydrogen peroxide. Soaked rockwool for 2 hours or so in RO PH balanced water at 4PPM. Cups and bag are my homemade propagators, I didn't feel like spending the cash. I have these on the window sill for now while I make some adjustments to my cabinet pictures pending.

I usualy grow 100% organic.Animal manure,compost,diferent kinf of soils,banana fert....I have read many about fox farm from other growers and it sounds great...I don't have shop to buy that much different kind of nutes.Don't worry too much,you can handle everything as long as you don't do something stupid.Mine suggestion is to ask question before you do something wrong.Here is always some growers that want to help just be patient.:peace:
I'm considering the Fox Farm Line of nutes. Any suggestions ?

After running my cab about two hours I checked the temp. and its staying steady around 90 degrees. Any suggestion for cooling. My ventilation set up right now is a passive system. Two computer fans as exhaust. Three intake hole using black 2in diameter 90 degree pvc elbows two at the bottom on each side and one centered around the middle of the cab. Want to resolve this ASAP before my seeds pop.

Im in for this one! I love CFL grows as thats all i have to grow with right now! Im looking and see one of your fans at the bottom. I would suggest exhaust at the top of the cabinet and the intake holes at the bottom. Heat rises and it will create a negative pressure and pull cool air from the bottom to the top. Maybe stop up the holes at the top with foam or something and just have intake at the bottom. One of those 2 inch holes is enough for 2 CPU fans. If its still not cool enough you can put a second one. You want your intake below your light if possible so it can suck that cool air up. Also you dont want to put your thermometer in direct light as this is not an accurate reading... It will always be hotter in direct light or right by the CFL's. Temps at my CFL's level get over 92 but my tent stays no higher than 86-88 on the hottest days. Hope this helps!
:thumb:

Im in for this one! I love CFL grows as thats all i have to grow with right now! Im looking and see one of your fans at the bottom. I would suggest exhaust at the top of the cabinet and the intake holes at the bottom. Heat rises and it will create a negative pressure and pull cool air from the bottom to the top. Maybe stop up the holes at the top with foam or something and just have intake at the bottom. One of those 2 inch holes is enough for 2 CPU fans. If its still not cool enough you can put a second one. You want your intake below your light if possible so it can suck that cool air up. Also you dont want to put your thermometer in direct light as this is not an accurate reading... It will always be hotter in direct light or right by the CFL's. Temps at my CFL's level get over 92 but my tent stays no higher than 86-88 on the hottest days. Hope this helps!
:thumb:

Im going to switch the bottom fan to an intake and leave the top fan as exhaust see if it helps any. Can't do much about the intake hole in the middle now unless I rebuild. Still nothing on the seedlings. I got anxious and switched to the paper towel method being that these are bag seeds I don't want to wait just to find out the seeds are not viable.

IN OTHER NEWS MY NIRVANA SHORT RYDER SEEDS CAME IN TODAY! Im just afraid to try with them cause I dont want to eff up and there goes 30 Euros in the trash. Might try first with the 10 freebies they added to my order.

You do not need intake for a cabinet... You want to have negative pressure! But you can always try it and check your temps it might work better for you. If it was me i would just stuff some foam or something in that middle intake hole and not worry about it. Do some temp test and see what works best for you and your cabinet!

Those are 5000k spectrum bulbs and will work good but i personally like to use 6500k light spectrum for vegging and 2700k for flowering. For flowering I have 20 2700k and 2 6500k bulbs in my tent. I also try and get the 26w bulbs instead of the 23w just so i can squeeze 3 more watts per bulb!

Hope this helps! :thumb:

You do not need intake for a cabinet... You want to have negative pressure! But you can always try it and check your temps it might work better for you. If it was me i would just stuff some foam or something in that middle intake hole and not worry about it. Do some temp test and see what works best for you and your cabinet!

Those are 5000k spectrum bulbs and will work good but i personally like to use 6500k light spectrum for vegging and 2700k for flowering. For flowering I have 20 2700k and 2 6500k bulbs in my tent. I also try and get the 26w bulbs instead of the 23w just so i can squeeze 3 more watts per bulb!

Hope this helps! :thumb:

Ok I plugged the center intake and have both fans as exhaust. I'll check it in an hour to see if it work better. Temps before change where around 85 at the highest.

NEW UPDATE

One of my bag seeds has popped. I put it in a rockwool cube soaked in RO water for a few hours and set it in the cabinet, now that I have managed the temp situation. Here are some pictures.

:thanks: To everyone who has helped me so far.

photo_1502.JPG

photo_2444.JPG

Ordered new CPU fan off Amazon I'm listing the specs below.

Ultra Kaze 120mm Case Fan (3000rpm)

Model #:
DFS123812H-3000 (3000rpm version)

Manufacturer:
Scythe Co., Ltd. Japan

Dimensions:
120 x 120 x 38 mm / 4.72 x 4.72 x 1.5 in

Specifications:
45,90dBA / 133,60CFM = 228 m³/h / DC12V / 0,60A (3000rpm Version)

Weight:
225 g / 7.94 oz

Connector:
3-pin (3-pin to 4pin adaptor included)

Cable Length:
30 cm / 11.81 in

Bearing Type:
Sleeve Bearing

MTBF:
30,000 hours

Im expecting with the higher CFM rating of this fan it will cool the cabinet sufficiently so that I can add more lights later on. In other news no other seeds have cracked yet so I moved the seeds I have germinating in moist paper towel in ziplock bags halfway closed into the grow cab. Im hoping the extra heat will help them along abit. Still waiting on the seed I transplanted to the rockwool to show cotyledon leaves.

Back
Top Bottom