1K 5x5 AK40

I appreciate it Jimmy. I just skimmed your completed closet grow. Impressive colors. Im going to read it in detail later and may PM you if I have a ? or 2.

This site won't let you PM someone until you have 50 posts.

So check it out folks. I took some close-ups of the plants I think are/were under some heat stress. The last few days got pretty warm here so the temp high was 91 F. I know this isn't expectable but i do what I can with what I have. The funny thing is I have had this happen before with an AK or two. Same scenario different setup. Here is my conclusion and maybe I can get some input from you guys. The upward curling leaves started at the top and began to work its way down. Even though its not uncomfortable to hold my hand inches from the light I think that (maybe) the radiant heat from the light is just a little to intense for the lankier AKs. To fix this problem I have done a couple of different things.

1. I raised the light about 6 inches.
2. My air-cooled hood came in and was installed.
3. I will be doing my best to spritz the 3 sickly ones at least 3-4 times daily.
4. Im making sure to keep my humidity up another 10-20 % over the next week or so.
5. I went ahead and threw a timer on the light so instead of 24/0 they will be getting 18/6

If theres anything else you guys think I should be doing Let me know. Also last night was the first night I ran the light on 100% with the air cooled hood. Temp high was 83 F and low was 71 F so it does seem I have fixed the heat issue.

Heres a couple different shots of the sick ones. Let me guys know if you think it is in fact a heat issue.

IMG_177113.JPG
IMG_177211.JPG
IMG_176212.jpg
IMG_176112.jpg
IMG_176015.JPG

Heres some shots of the overall garden with the light off.

IMG_17749.JPG
IMG_177012.JPG
IMG_176914.JPG
IMG_17669.JPG
IMG_177312.JPG
IMG_17679.JPG

Oh yea and one more thing to add. In about a week or so I am going to start very aggressively topping all the plants. I want to fill this tent up. I am going to watch out though. I have ended up with overcrowded grows before when I vegged to long in a small space so Ill be trying to time it to where it fills in during flower. I want it full but not to full (if in fact there is such a thing).

Oh yea and one more thing to add. In about a week or so I am going to start very aggressively topping all the plants. I want to fill this tent up. I am going to watch out though. I have ended up with overcrowded grows before when I vegged to long in a small space so Ill be trying to time it to where it fills in during flower. I want it full but not to full (if in fact there is such a thing).

Yes there is such a thing, I have seen some members battling powdery mildew with overcrowded spaces, because they misjudged veg time. As for the other issue, looks like heat stress, do you have a fan circulating the air, like a small oscillating fan?

Yes there is such a thing, I have seen some members battling powdery mildew with overcrowded spaces, because they misjudged veg time. As for the other issue, looks like heat stress, do you have a fan circulating the air, like a small oscillating fan?

Ah yes. I forgot to add that one to my list. I did install a medium size fan. It does enough to keep the fan leaves slightly bouncing around. My concern is that the radiant heat from the light might be dehydrating the upper portion of the vegetation before it can rehydrate itself. I haven't had time to research it but its just a theory Im entertaining in my mind.

So I am starting to get things dialed in on this new setup. I may have to invest in a humidifier bc im having some trouble keeping RH up.
Other than that all systems are go. Ill top them all this evening and Ill be topping the AKs very aggressively. They are already stretching their legs a bit so I would like to keep things as even as possible.

IMG_177710.jpg
IMG_177810.JPG
IMG_177611.jpg

Yeah that is 100% heat stress related, I get the same thing with my moms at like 85 degrees (I hate paying to keep my house cold just for some moms). It is crucial you stay in the low 80s to high 70s at the greatest. During flowering it is even more important because if you try flowering at 85 F you will have a drastically reduced yield with airy non dense nugs. This has been the experience of friends of mine who flowered at 85-90 F. Wish I had some good input on lowering temps without an A/C, I suppose depending on your climate of where you live you could draw outside air into your room if it is cooler outside then in. I would at the least buy another small or medium fan, the more air flow the better. How high above your plants are your lights? 24 inches is the accepted minimum for 1000k but you can go higher

If you can return those instruments in the pics above I would, your best bet is to buy a daily high and low temp and humidity gauge (thermometer). I got mine on amazon for about 10 dollars. That way you always know each days highs and low instead of speculation upon is being more hot when you enter your tent sometimes then others. Aside from that your humidity looks fine 40-60 is gravy for veg and 40-50 for flower. Don't want it too high or you may battle with pm as dank was talking about. If you really wanna raise humidity you could place a few damp washcloths on top of your light and remoisten when they dry.

Yeah that is 100% heat stress related, I get the same thing with my moms at like 85 degrees (I hate paying to keep my house cold just for some moms). It is crucial you stay in the low 80s to high 70s at the greatest. During flowering it is even more important because if you try flowering at 85 F you will have a drastically reduced yield with airy non dense nugs. This has been the experience of friends of mine who flowered at 85-90 F. Wish I had some good input on lowering temps without an A/C, I suppose depending on your climate of where you live you could draw outside air into your room if it is cooler outside then in. I would at the least buy another small or medium fan, the more air flow the better. How high above your plants are your lights? 24 inches is the accepted minimum for 1000k but you can go higher

Without breaking out a tape measure I would say 24-30" above the tallest plant. Im hoping the cooler temps will cure the heat issue. They already are looking much better. That pic of the temp at 81 F is the 24 hour high so I think Im good. Time will tell. Drawing air in from outside isnt an option. The room is next to the front door and driveway. It would be amazing if I could though. I live in the arctic circle so that would be an easy fix. If I owned the house I could just exhaust heat into the attic but I dont so I can't. The good thing is that it is an exterior room and winter is coming fast here. Temps will only be falling from this point forward.

temperatures up to 90° Fahrenheit are acceptable. your leaf damage appears to be either from heat stress or pH fluctuation. your light can most likely be lowered. place your hand underneath the light bulb to the point you can not feel any heat and move your light reflector above your canopy to that level, raise the light as your plants grow.

So heres a little update for you guys. Not much has changed except the fact that they are getting about 75% the recommended dose of nutrients. I dont often use the full recommended doses in fear of burning them. Ph is till hanging around 6.0. 24 hour high is 83 F and low is 76. Rh hangs around 40-50 depending on lights off/on. Other than that my projected day one of flower will be next friday. The Aks are still sickly looking but they are slowly coming around. Everything has been topped once and I would like to squeeze another topping in there before I flower in 8 days.

IMG_181817.JPG
IMG_181715.jpg
IMG_181613.JPG
IMG_181413.JPG
IMG_181315.JPG

Sooooooooo what do yous guys think??????? Should I flip em now or wait until next friday????? I did just top the tallest 6. Wait for em to recover or flip em now? I do have a 5x5 space. Ive never grown this many in this big of space so any input would be appreciated. If no one has any input they go into flower in T minus 7 days and counting, I do think I can get away with waiting but I do DESPISE MOLD so I would hate to battle it. From what I have seen in the past with (just 4 plants) they doubled and some tripled in size during flower. They are all between 11 an 16 inches.

I would give your plants another week of vegetative growth before flowering them.

I appreciate the input. I was thinking the same thing. I took off a few fan leaves so I could see the structure a bit better and decided friday will be the day. I think that should fill the tent enough but still give me a little wiggle room.

I did some, "what I consider", to be some pretty heavy defoiling (I think thats how you spell it). Anywho, I stripped about a gallon sized zip lock stuffed full of fan leaves. It really let me see the structure of my plants. Some are looking like little shrubs. This I like. The leaves are already making a serious comeback. After seeing the plants I have decided to veg for at least another week maybe more. The Aks still look a little sick but are coming around slowly. I really like the structure of the White Dominas. The multiple toppings have turned them into some hearty little plants. Also some were planted as topped clones so they almost appear to be 2 plants!

IMG_183911.jpg
IMG_185012.JPG
IMG_185216.JPG
IMG_185416.JPG
IMG_185516.JPG
IMG_185719.JPG
IMG_185815.JPG
IMG_185919.JPG
IMG_186118.JPG

Back
Top Bottom