1st Time Grow - Flowergirl21's - White Widow - Bloombox - Hydro - Manifold Technique

Re: 1st Time Grow - Flowergirl21's - White Widow - Bloombox - Hydro - Manifold Techni

Sprout...she's coming along nicely.

IMG_35474.jpg

Willow. Is she an ugly baby? She already has some true leaves showing; maybe this is just an awkward stage for her. You can't tell from this photo, but she's a bit hunched over and obviously one of her cotyledons is drooping.

IMG_35544.jpg

Scarlett. Finally poking her head up.

IMG_35495.jpg

Re: 1st Time Grow - Flowergirl21's - White Widow - Bloombox - Hydro - Manifold Techni

Hi Groovy Bud,

Thanks for stopping by and sending good vibes! I've subscribed to your journal, and I'm looking forward to seeing how your ladies turn out.

You can't see it in the photos, but the seedlings are all under a 125 watt CFL bulb. I'm not sure of the temperature right at the level they are at because my thermometer is on the shelf about 6 inches below them...and it's reading 21°C (70°F). I'm trying to get the temps up a little bit, but hopefully they'll be fine. Once I have my flowering side going, the room will warm up considerably.

Good luck with your grow!

I hope you don't mind me pulling up a chair. That BB looks awesome! I wish I coulda bought one more substantial like that.

Hi Khaoskalan! The more the merrier! The BB is a great piece of expensive equipment for sure. :cheesygrinsmiley: I really weighed the pros and cons on it, but decided it would be worth the 1.5 to 2 harvest it will take to recoup my money!

Check out Light Addict's journals for inspiration. He is sponsored right now and has some sweet equipment, but when he started, he had just the basics. You won't believe what his stuff looks like!

Good look with your grow! I've subscribed--can't wait to see how it all turns out.

subbed

I'd been worried about my last seed that had not yet germinated--though I continued to keep the rockwool damp and warm, just in case. I thought I could see some "activity" below the surface of the rockwool, but it seemed like it was taking forever--especially since the first two were so quick to germinate. This morning I finally saw this:

IMG_35646.jpg

So I popped her into the vegetation side under the 125CFL. I'm naming her Winifred Whedon.

My humidity has been low, so I have a few jars of water in there, and I came across an "Aqua Stone." I saw it at my local drugstore and thought I'd give it a try, as it requires no batteries nor electricity. It humidifies based on the capillary action of the porous, hollow, clay stone that draws water from the bowl, and the water evaporates from the stone. So far it has boosted the humidity in my cab by at least 10%--I'm still not quite where I need to be. I am hoping that once I start using the "Hydro12 Tub," the humidity will naturally rise because there will be 11 liters of water and airstones going. I would not recommend it over an actual humidifier for a large room--it's working because the cabinet it is in is fairly small and sealed.

Here's a photo of Sprout. I'm slightly concerned with her color. The cotyledon has that brownish tinge to it, and the new growth as a light brown color...I checked the pH of the mild nutrients that I had soaked my rockwool in, and the pH had indeed drifted up. Is it too soon for nutrient lockup? She still has her cotyledons. I wasn't sure what to do, so I prepared another liter of mild nutes and pH'd it, then let the bottom of the 3 inch soak some new solution up.

IMG_35608.jpg

If anyone has thoughts about it, I'd love to hear any of them!!

While I was at it, the roots of Willow and Scarlett were also poking out, so I soaked more rockwool in that solution and put them in 3 inch cubes as well. (not pictured) They have their first true leaves showing, so I'm hoping I'm not moving too fast.

IMG_35585.jpg

IMG_35595.jpg

I think I'll start the Hydro12 Tub tomorrow. I'll be manually watering until I see roots coming out of the bottom, and then I'll let the timer take over the watering schedule.

at this stage you dont need to be worried about lockout, but it is very easy to burn them with nutes. pH'd water is typically sufficient for the first 2 weeks of growth.

at this stage you dont need to be worried about lockout, but it is very easy to burn them with nutes. pH'd water is typically sufficient for the first 2 weeks of growth.

Thank you for the quick reply! Do you think I should try removing them from the cubes and replace with a pH'd distilled water soaked one?

No, don't remove them. They have already established roots and you risk more damage if you try and remove them. I would just try and rinse the cube in some pH'd water and hold off on nutes until 3 sets of leaves have formed.

what ph did you soak your cubes @ for the cannabis
24 hrs in 5.5 is good
also you might want to switch to rooting plugs and you can avoid ph'ing it
just wet em and go
I myself germ in paper towels till I have about 3/8-1/2 inch of taproot then I split the plug open and stick it in there
I wet the plugs and just shake em a bit so its not soaked the good thing about rooting plugs is they hold the right amount of air and water
and for me once it pops out of the top it goes into the dwc so I don't have to worry about it drying out cause I don't have the time mid day to check as im usually at work and a lot of times by the time I check it is pretty dry :rofl:
but been lucky never dried so long that it killed the taproot

Don't bother subbing to my journal. it is over, house got robbed and they trashed the plants just as they didn't find any valuable stuff to rob.

By the way, if you are going with clay pebbles, afterwards, remember to rinse them well with water (can be hot water I guess) a couple of times. You don't want dirt in your res, and it may cause you pH fluctuations later on.

Pre-soaking Rockwool in 5.5 pH water, rinsing dirt out of the clay pebbles and giving your res/pumps/tubes some hours running 5.5 pH water will most definitely be important in order to prevent future pH fluctuations that will make your hair fall off (from nerves).

You can start giving nutrients as soon as you see the third node (from what I've read) but remember, start at 1/4 or 1/3 of recommended dosage. Then work your way up depending on how the girls react.

Just my 2 cents. :Namaste:

nice babbies

what ph did you soak your cubes @ for the cannabis
24 hrs in 5.5 is good
also you might want to switch to rooting plugs and you can avoid ph'ing it
just wet em and go
I myself germ in paper towels till I have about 3/8-1/2 inch of taproot then I split the plug open and stick it in there
I wet the plugs and just shake em a bit so its not soaked the good thing about rooting plugs is they hold the right amount of air and water
and for me once it pops out of the top it goes into the dwc so I don't have to worry about it drying out cause I don't have the time mid day to check as im usually at work and a lot of times by the time I check it is pretty dry :rofl:
but been lucky never dried so long that it killed the taproot

For the initial 1 inch cubes, I soaked them at 5.6. The 3 inch cubes, I soaked them at the same pH once I had made up the mild nutrient solution. (100ppm)

Don't bother subbing to my journal. it is over, house got robbed and they trashed the plants just as they didn't find any valuable stuff to rob.

By the way, if you are going with clay pebbles, afterwards, remember to rinse them well with water (can be hot water I guess) a couple of times. You don't want dirt in your res, and it may cause you pH fluctuations later on.

Pre-soaking Rockwool in 5.5 pH water, rinsing dirt out of the clay pebbles and giving your res/pumps/tubes some hours running 5.5 pH water will most definitely be important in order to prevent future pH fluctuations that will make your hair fall off (from nerves).

You can start giving nutrients as soon as you see the third node (from what I've read) but remember, start at 1/4 or 1/3 of recommended dosage. Then work your way up depending on how the girls react.

Just my 2 cents. :Namaste:

First of all, I am so sorry to hear that you got robbed. What a terrible thing, especially since they trashed your plants. What idiots!

And, thank you for replying! I think I'm definitely ahead of schedule with giving my babies nutrients. I hope there isn't any lasting repercussions from it...I think my saving grace is that the solution I gave them is very mild. I will watch closely to see what happens.

I gotta say the nute I use once I put them in a bucket they are on week one of nutes but
I use organic stuff and its been working great only thing is once they get bigger
using organic nutes ph tends to fluctuate so I do daily ph checks and adjustments
mainly once its in bloom but for veg I leave it alone till res change

lol. i dont do crap but put them in dirt and watch them grow. to complicated to me,

I tried that
gave me bugs

Photos:

Sprout--Her colouring looks more evenly green in real life, aside from the brown splotches.

IMG_35678.JPG

Winifred Whedon:

IMG_35716.jpg

Willow

IMG_35708.jpg

Scarlett

IMG_35695.jpg

Veg side set up: Currently using unused net pots to prop tray to a better height. When I open the door, humidity is in the 56% range, and temps in the low 70's.

IMG_35723.jpg

Back
Top Bottom