1st Time Grow - Flowergirl21's - White Widow - Bloombox - Hydro - Manifold Technique

Re: 1st Time Grow - Flowergirl21's - White Widow - Bloombox - Hydro - Manifold Techni

Ok I've gone and researched your setup etc.
The first couple of thing :) If your wanting to flux remember you only top a flux 3 times and on a tiny scale so the topping points are not viable for cloning for your next run! ML does give you the ability to set yourself up for the next run....
Fluxing is a little more involved than ML and requires more time spent per plant. Then we have things like tie points etc!

Before when you spoke of net pot size was it? If so don't stree on this its more your res size for your roots! (Hopefully I've got your system correct lol, bit busy at mo! Soz if not)

Now I'm not trying to persuade against or for fluxing versus ML, as both have their benefits. I believe fluxing has the edge but I may be biased lol. :)

Just think your process through etc , as in the need to clone or to go from seed etc . Then also time spent in veg etc.

Then if all considered your still set to flux, ill have your back all the way! :) even if you go ML Ill happily share all my other little tricks if I can help!

Hope that's ok and best of buds :)

Re: 1st Time Grow - Flowergirl21's - White Widow - Bloombox - Hydro - Manifold Techni

Thanks for the input LA...I think that once my seeds come (it feels like it has been forever :rollingeyes: ) I will do the ML'ing just because I need cloning material. Once my clones establish roots, I will want to try your fluxing technique on them, so I will definitely need your help--and sooner than the next run.

I think my res size is good enough...23 liters on the flowering side...about 11 liters on the veg side. I'm still not sure of how I'm going to work the LST'ing in my cab. All the photos I've seen are from soil grows, and they have way bigger rims on their pots.

Oh, and update on Mystery Seed. After about 48 hours of soaking in distilled water with no change in the seed, I decided to pop it into the rockwool. I had a pH'd cube, and I thought that the heating pad would have better penetration than it did on my ceramic mug. When I was carefully handling the seed, I noticed it had cracked and a little white was showing--inside of the seed. No tap root was visible. I don't know if I drowned it or what, but it's now hunkered down, toasty warm in the cube. I should have taken a pic of the seed itself, but I was too anxious about damaging it.

Cross your fingers for me! (I hope that doesn't mean anything obscene in another country.)

Trumpet sounds

Finally! Progress to report.

Sorry for the blurriness. Mystery seed is coming along. Still crossing fingers for female.

IMG_35295.jpg

Also...this!!

IMG_35305.jpg

I am exhausted, so I will start the germination process for 3 of the White Widow seeds first thing tomorrow. I am ecstatic that I can finally start.

Awesome!! Glad you finally got your seeds!! It can be a test of patience waiting for those little things to come. Lol Looking forward to this grow. :thumb:

This is going to be very cool to watch. Good luck and always ask about anything. You came to the right site.
Welcome and thank you! I promise I'll have lots of questions! ;)

Awesome!! Glad you finally got your seeds!! It can be a test of patience waiting for those little things to come. Lol Looking forward to this grow. :thumb:

Yes! You understand exactly. My optimism and pessimism were at war with each other. One minute I'd say to myself, "Ten days at the earliest! Fourteen is normal." And then I'd get in a funk and think, "Okay, so, a month from now when they come in..."

I started trying to procure them at the end of December, but I finally got everything sorted out in January. It was 14 days...in case anyone is interested. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Soaking three of the White Widow seeds. I was worried because they definitely floated at first. It took several hours to sink once poked...but sink they did. :blushsmile:

IMG_35327.JPG

Prepping rockwool by soaking in pH'd distilled water

IMG_35337.jpg

Peek inside the veg chamber. Tomatoes and Sprout.

IMG_35356.jpg

I think I'm going to have to say goodbye to my tomatoes. I've toyed with the idea of growing the strongest tomato seedling as well, but my fear is that it would be too much competition for resources--mainly light.

Sprout is coming along nicely. I wish you could figure out gender sooner! The WW are feminized so I'm hoping 5/5 seeds will be female.

If you bought them from a reputable seed bank then they should all be fem. Unless something stresses them in flower to cause a hermie you should be safe. The bag seed however could be anything. So watch it closely! You don't want it to be a HE and pollinate your ladies before you catch it.

If you bought them from a reputable seed bank then they should all be fem. Unless something stresses them in flower to cause a hermie you should be safe. The bag seed however could be anything. So watch it closely! You don't want it to be a HE and pollinate your ladies before you catch it.

That would be the worst!!!

Okay...question for all of you! I can't take a pic now, as my veg lights are timed 18/6, and my lights are off right now. (Does that matter as much in veg?) Wait, that's not my real question! :laughtwo:

So, all of the seedlings, tomatoes included, have been looking exactly the same for a few days now. I haven't added any nutes, as everything I've read has said to wait until the true leaves show up. Does this mean that all of the changes are happening to the roots? My bagseed seedling, (I've named her Sprout), has one cotyledon that's a hair smaller than the other one, and in the center, you can see where the true leaves will be, but they haven't grown at all.

:thanks:

Me personally, I'd wait until the true leaves are fully out. It's still using up all it's stored energy, and extra nutes might overwhelm it. Doesn't really need anything else until it's out and running on solar power (photosynthesis, lol)

Thanks, Paul. Should I be worried that they haven't changed at all? I mean...are they just growing roots and nothing is happening up top?

So are they still the same as they were 2 days ago?
Hmmm. Not sure. Without the leaves showing, it's hard to make a diagnosis.
Are the roots growing? Are they growing out of the rockwool?

To be honest, this is beyond my experience, not sure what to tell you.
Is everything else ok? Lights? temps?

If it was only 1 or 2, you could put it down to bad seeds.

For some reason, I'm thinking it might be a case of the rock wool being kept too moist/wet.
But if that's not the case, I'm out of ideas. Sorry. I don't have any experience with rock wool.
Hopefully someone else might have an idea.

I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe just give them another couple of days, and see what happens.

Lol this is fine :) a bubba concentrates all energy getting that tap root going down and a searching. As you said yourself all the work is going on underground. Give em a little while and they will suddenly kick into gear so don't fret :)

Thank you! Every day I open up the veg chamber and see that nothing has changed that much except that the cotyledons on Sprout had opened up the day after I snapped the first photo of her. (I'm determined that my mystery bag seed will be female, so I am sending all the feminine vibes I can at her.) The tomatoes have done zip since sprouting.

Today, I finally saw some real progress in Sprout though! The first true leaves are opening up. It's weird because my tomato seedlings hadn't shown any true leaf development, until today where I can just make some out in the center. The weird part is that Sprout's true leaves were already there but bunched up and smaller as soon as the cotyledons opened up.

As you can see, first little leaves! Also, looking at it now, I can see that it was a bad angle to photograph because the cotyledon on the right is exaggeratedly smaller. It is not symmetrical by any means, but it's not that stunted either.

IMG_35406.jpg

And tomatoes. I selectively tossed three of the worst seedlings. I'm still not sure if I'm going to grow one of these out...mostly out of curiosity and love of tomatoes. :love:

IMG_35395.jpg

Nothing new to report on the germination of my White Widows. I turned my heat mat down a tad. The conditions for germination are pretty much the same as they were for those tomato seeds, but it seemed slightly too warm. I'm fairly certain no harm has come to them, as the tomatoes germinated with a 100% success rate.

My method for germination was soaking the seeds overnight in pH'd water, and then a bit more than 24 hours later, I carefully sowed them in the pre-soaked 1 inch rockwool. The are on a germination tray, on a heat mat, on top of the Bloombox. I'm checking the moisture level of the rockwool by feeling it's weight, and I'm only adding pH'd water when they feel light.

Progress! I've named her Willow. First of the WW seeds!

IMG_35414.jpg

I think that during germination, the tap root pushed the seed up a bit...Hopefully it won't be a problem!

Congrats on your girls coming out.
Don't worry about the seed. It's not needed anymore. Most of the seeds that i have germinated, the seed actually stays stuck on the stem or the cotyledon, and it either falls off, or i pick it off.

Another one! Meet Scarlett. She's not quite surfaced yet, but will be soon.

IMG_35423.jpg

Just waiting on the third. I can see something happening in the cube, so I anticipate tomorrow will be the day.

Update on Sprout--I popped her into a 3 inch rockwool cube that was soaked with mild nutes. Her roots were starting to poke out of the bottom of the 1 inch.

Everything is getting exciting!! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Sending good vibes.

It's funny because I can see "half an year back myself" as yourself today. I was stressed out as my seeds were bursting out of the rockwool.

In my opinion get the lights on right away from seeing new growth above the cotyledons. Some of them are already showing the serrated leaves that do photosynthesis. You don't want to "starve" them up and forcing them to use their scarce "endo-nutrients". In my first time I've failed on that and leaves started turning yellow (they were politely asking for light).

Just beware of temperature at canopy level as you don't want to burn them with light. (if I'm not wrong 27ºC/28ºC is the maximum recommended canopy temperature)

Back
Top Bottom