1st time grower leaf coloring help!

Bacsi

420 Member
Hey all! So yesterday night I turned on both veg and bloom light switches on my Viparspectra 450w light just to test out if it’ll increase growth for my day 12 plants and this happened.

Is the little guy burnt? Nutrient defficient?
I feed all 4 of them the same dosage of nutrients , 1/4 tsp flora micro, 1/8 tsp flora grow and bloom, and 1 tsp calimag

During week 1 I overwatered a bit and all of them turned really dark green. I flushed them out before I started giving them nutrients on day 6 and they all got a brighter greener color besides the guy that Looks a bit sick. After the flush he became a bit yellowish and hasn’t gotten much better

The strains that I’m growing are Magnum and LSD, the mags are on the right and the LSDs are on the left

Attachments

• 6DF81164-0BC0-448D-8783-B0E1696CC66A.jpeg
    6DF81164-0BC0-448D-8783-B0E1696CC66A.jpeg
    797 KB · Views: 236
  • F3089882-52B4-437C-93D7-33224062EBA1.jpeg
    F3089882-52B4-437C-93D7-33224062EBA1.jpeg
    782.2 KB · Views: 225
Hi Bacsi ,I see that you are growing in coco, I have also started recently with this method. I can advise you to measure your nutrient solution and not to go according to what is written behind the jars. My plants currently have 18 days and do not show any sign of deficiencies, I started with 200 ppm and now I am at 500-550 I have skipped the grow and other cal-mag doses. For the fact of the burned leaves it is enough for you turn on the lights at the distance you want and put your hand near the top of the plants if you feel an annoying heat for your hand it will be for the plant too.

Hi Bacsi ,I see that you are growing in coco, I have also started recently with this method. I can advise you to measure your nutrient solution and not to go according to what is written behind the jars. My plants currently have 18 days and do not show any sign of deficiencies, I started with 200 ppm and now I am at 500-550 I have skipped the grow and other cal-mag doses. For the fact of the burned leaves it is enough for you turn on the lights at the distance you want and put your hand near the top of the plants if you feel an annoying heat for your hand it will be for the plant too.

Thanks for the reply, I put my hand near the top of my plants and there’s no heat. My lux meter counted 16k-18k around the area. I’ll get an tds meter and let you know how it goes when I measure and adjust the ppm

Are they autoflower?Looking at the others they seem to be fine or thin the others have tolerated a ppm higher than a little burned.

Yeah they’re all autoflower. The brown spots problem occurred after I turned on both of my light switches on my 450w Viparspectra . I was just using the veg switch which is blue and white LEDS, but yesterday night I decided to turn on the Bloom switch too (red led lights) after reading up that using both switches increases growth during veg

The other 3 seems to be showing faster growth

Stupid question but did you drop water on the leaves? Light and water can cause burn too

That was a great question haha. Unfortunately yes.
There were 1 or 2 drops of water on the leaves of the Mag last week. I figured my fans would blow it off or the leaves would absorb the water so I didn’t bother to wipe it off.
But I didn’t spill any water on the lower leaves of the mag, but those lower leaves are starting to get brown spots too. Any suggestions? Could it be Calcium deficiency?

Looks to be a lockout situation is happening.

I would suggest running fresh clean water about 3 x the pot size through her. I would say a good 2-3 gallons will be plenty.

You want to pour water in, let it pool, then drain, pour, let it pool, then drain. So on and so forth till the 2-3 gal is gone.

You don’t want to leave water droplets on leaves, as they will burn your beloved plant. You can foliar feed your plants, which has great benefits for doing so, but it is not the same as just spraying water on your plants.

Starting in such big containers is more then likely your problem here.

Start in a smaller container and work your way up to a 5 gal in three transplantings.

It’s harder to over/under water doing it this way. It will also help prevent the lock out situation

I would suggest running fresh clean water about 3 x the pot size through her. I would say a good 2-3 gallons will be plenty.

You want to pour water in, let it pool, then drain, pour, let it pool, then drain. So on and so forth till the 2-3 gal is gone.

You don’t want to leave water droplets on leaves, as they will burn your beloved plant. You can foliar feed your plants, which has great benefits for doing so, but it is not the same as just spraying water on your plants.

Start in a smaller container and work your way up to a 5 gal in three transplantings.

It’s harder to over/under water doing it this way. It will also help prevent the lock out situation

Fuck yeah yes! I think I understand.
I was thinking that it was nutrient lock out. I flushed all 4 of them last Monday and then I started feeding. The sick little guy had a bad nitrogen overdose last week and was still recovering so maybe it’s still too weak to handle the nutrients?
I think also me bumping up their light from 10k lux to 18k lux, giving them week 2 nutrients, and transplanting them into their final container (plus the water droplets being left on the leaves).
All at once might’ve excessive
I’ll try flushing him on Sunday when the new week starts.
It’s 8pm where I’m at right now. If tomorrow morning I see my MAG autos get worse, I’ll flush them tomorrow instead of Sunday.

Fuck yeah yes! I think I understand.
I was thinking that it was nutrient lock out. I flushed all 4 of them last Monday and then I started feeding. The sick little guy had a bad nitrogen overdose last week and was still recovering so maybe it’s still too weak to handle the nutrients?
I think also me bumping up their light from 10k lux to 18k lux, giving them week 2 nutrients, and transplanting them into their final container (plus the water droplets being left on the leaves).
All at once might’ve excessive
I’ll try flushing him on Sunday when the new week starts.
It’s 8pm where I’m at right now. If tomorrow morning I see my MAG autos get worse, I’ll flush them tomorrow instead of Sunday.

Keep us updated on how everything’s going!

You should start a journal for them.

I have links in my signature with the how to, and helpful tips.

They should be old enough for nutrients, but first do a flush, then go back to maybe a dialed down version, and let your plants speak to you about how much to add.

Keep us updated on how everything’s going!

You should start a journal for them.

I have links in my signature with the how to, and helpful tips.

They should be old enough for nutrients, but first do a flush, then go back to maybe a dialed down version, and let your plants speak to you about how much to add.
@backflipslide always got your back.
I’m going with also looks like a lockout. Cheers.

@backflipslide always got your back.
I’m going with also looks like a lockout. Cheers.

I'm gonna go against everyone else and say it looks like dampening off lol. you can see the algae on the perlite that makes me think it may have sat wetter than it wanted to be for a bit.

But the main reason i think it is because it happened to me in coco and i was surprised because " you can never water too much in coco". well that's not true if the plants are small.

curious of what the final verdict will be.

Good luck broski.

Update. They haven’t gotten better and haven’t gotten worse.
I plan on flushing them tonight when my lights go off.

I have a couple of questions about flushing.
Do I just flush the sick little guy with fresh water or PHed water?
And should I flush the other plants too? I’m planning to increase their nutrients
How often should I flush my healthy plants? After every week/feeding change?
Whenever there’s a problem? or just when it’s a week before harvest

Hey Bacsi, Coco is hydroponics made simple, every time you "water" you should be using nutrient Solution. It's like flood and drain. The Coco isn't like soil it's only there to act as something for the roots to sit in. Feed every time the Coco feels like it can take it. If your pots/bags are light, give them a feed. If they feel heavy, give them a break. PH the runoff once a week. Start with a light feeding solution and increase it as your plants require. PH the solution to between 5.5 and 6.5. and see how you go. Make sure your plants are getting cal mag, that's important. Remember, Coco contains no nutrients, your plants only get what you give them.

In coco u can not water to much it does not hold water like soil, although it looks like alot of perlite in there that does. U can flush all the plants then fed them right after. Flushing washes all the build up that dries out in the coco from not watering enough. Then water atleast twice a day with 1/4 strength nutes till you have plenty running out the bottom. Also CHECK your ph. Always check your ph, everytime u water. 5.7 early veg to veg then start leting it go up to low 6 and 6.1 6.2 in bloom. U have to have your ph dialed in.

In coco u can not water to much it does not hold water like soil, although it looks like alot of perlite in there that does. U can flush all the plants then fed them right after. Flushing washes all the build up that dries out in the coco from not watering enough. Then water atleast twice a day with 1/4 strength nutes till you have plenty running out the bottom. Also CHECK your ph. Always check your ph, everytime u water. 5.7 early veg to veg then start leting it go up to low 6 and 6.1 6.2 in bloom. U have to have your ph dialed in.

if the plant is too small to drink the water fast enough it can happen in coco.

Update. They haven’t gotten better and haven’t gotten worse.
I plan on flushing them tonight when my lights go off.

I have a couple of questions about flushing.
Do I just flush the sick little guy with fresh water or PHed water?
And should I flush the other plants too? I’m planning to increase their nutrients
How often should I flush my healthy plants? After every week/feeding change?
Whenever there’s a problem? or just when it’s a week before harvest

Ok there is a lot of mixed information here.

Coco, is considered a soiless compound. There for is considered a hydro.

For coco, the optimal ph is 5.8

It wouldn’t hurt to flush all of your plants to wash out and excess buildup of calcium, or magnesium, resulting in a lock out.

I do not Ph my water going in when I flush. My water is pretty close anyways so I don’t bother.

That guy is right, when he said coco holds no extra nutrients. So you will need to feed with nutrients every time you water.

You can flush 2-3 times through the plants life.

Once going into flower, and once at the end of flower. But mainly only when there is problems going on with your plants. Like your situation.

You do not need to check the PH of your run off. A because it’s not the proper way to test the ph of your coco. B because what ever comes out, is going to be a mixture of what you put in and where the coco is sitting, giving you a mixed reading.

I personally wouldn’t worry about ph the coco anyways.

Back
Top Bottom