Nutes: What To Use & How To Use Them Tutorial

I have a question regarding the feeding - So I have ready through and tried to find a good answer before posting but I can't seem to quite find what I'm looking for.

All these show what to mix per Gal of water, but my question is - How do you ensure your plant is getting adequate nutrition since not all plants intake the same amount of water?

Wouldn't it be better to measure nutes per plant since water requirements vary?? Or is this just a standard case of overthinking by a newbie?

Yep ( edit: to the last one).

I have a question regarding the feeding - So I have ready through and tried to find a good answer before posting but I can't seem to quite find what I'm looking for.

All these show what to mix per Gal of water, but my question is - How do you ensure your plant is getting adequate nutrition since not all plants intake the same amount of water?

Wouldn't it be better to measure nutes per plant since water requirements vary?? Or is this just a standard case of overthinking by a newbie?

So for soluble nutrients. It’s not a matter of feeding the plant X number of grams of fertilizer. It’s all about concentration. The goal is to saturate the medium with the desired concentration of nutrients. The plant will sort it out from there.

I am following the General hydroponics fertilizer program from this post for my auto flower. It says to use once a week however I am only watering once a week right now. Should I really be fertilizing every time I water? I’m only on week 2 right now so hoping to get an answer before I get too far into it. Thanks!

Weasel thank you for your contribution to my last question.

I have another question though - Would it be ok to water the girls with plain water at first, get them where they are satiated and then mix 1 gal of "nute" water and feed? It just seems like a waste to have all the water e nutrient water.

Plants were just transferred and most of the water isn't being utilized.

Well if I understand your question. I usually.pre-water the medium before adding the nutrient solution.
This is just to make sure that the medium is saturated and evenly wet.
Sometimes I do it the day before, other times just within half an hour of feeding

That way- when the feed comes along- it will flow through the whole pot with some runoff out the bottom, and hopefully saturate the entire pot somewhat evenly with the nutrient solution.

Sometimes I pre-water it the day before, other times just within half an hour of feeding.

Feeding a dry pot will waste a lot of nutrient mix trying to get to the same point of saturating the pot.

But keep in mind that the moisture level in the pot is going to want to dilute the nutrient mix a bit. So from your description- if you’re soaking a pot with plain water and then just pouring a small amount of nutrients in- it won’t be the same thing. A gallon should be ok depending on size of the pot through. Just try to get that food to evenly wash down through the pot and push out the bottom too, so the entire medium is saturated with the feeding solution strength you’re aiming for.

In reality I don’t fuss over it much and I assume my feeding mix gets diluted a bit by the wet soil, but just keep it in mind and keep an eye on the plants, etc.

Well if I understand your question. I usually.pre-water the medium before adding the nutrient solution.
This is just to make sure that the medium is saturated and evenly wet.
Sometimes I do it the day before, other times just within half an hour of feeding

That way- when the feed comes along- it will flow through the whole pot with some runoff out the bottom, and hopefully saturate the entire pot somewhat evenly with the nutrient solution.

Sometimes I pre-water it the day before, other times just within half an hour of feeding.

Feeding a dry pot will waste a lot of nutrient mix trying to get to the same point of saturating the pot.

But keep in mind that the moisture level in the pot is going to want to dilute the nutrient mix a bit. So from your description- if you’re soaking a pot with plain water and then just pouring a small amount of nutrients in- it won’t be the same thing. A gallon should be ok depending on size of the pot through. Just try to get that food to evenly wash down through the pot and push out the bottom too, so the entire medium is saturated with the feeding solution strength you’re aiming for.

In reality I don’t fuss over it much and I assume my feeding mix gets diluted a bit by the wet soil, but just keep it in mind and keep an eye on the plants, etc.
Awesome, Thank you for the reply. Yeah I only recently transplanted my ladies and noticed it was taking quite a bit more water to get to runoff, which means more nutes if i mixed for every single gallon. I just felt it was a bunch of waste going through to the bottom when i could potentially get the medium to the moisture content i prefer then feed with nutes.

Right now I'm using PBP Grow, Silica & Calmag, I have bloom soil formula as well but i am still in veg. Growing in 5gal dirt pots in Promix hp.

Thanks again!

In this paper they use a liquid fertilizer that is 4-1,3-1,7. They say that about 280 mg N/L is the optimal rate for the plant and coir they are using.

So if 280 mg N / L= 4% then 100% of this fertilizer is 7000 mg particles/L. The solution was still under 2,2 mS/cm. So wazzup whith this? That is way to high

Certain fertilizers have 6 times the amount of N of K and 3 times the amount of N of Ca. This results in for only these elements already in a solution of about 3000 ppm.Way to high.

In this paper they use a liquid fertilizer that is 4-1,3-1,7. They say that about 280 mg N/L is the optimal rate for the plant and coir they are using.

So if 280 mg N / L= 4% then 100% of this fertilizer is 7000 mg particles/L. The solution was still under 2,2 mS/cm. So wazzup whith this? That is way to high

Certain fertilizers have 6 times the amount of N of K and 3 times the amount of N of Ca. This results in for only these elements already in a solution of about 3000 ppm.Way to high.

Highest EC was 6 mS/cm. Still way to high since that correspond to about 3000 ppm

Hello, it’s me again with my first grow. My auto is still doing great on the GH program from this post and just starting to flower. I used Sunshine Mix #4 with extra perlite, and I use collected rain to water. This is an outdoor grow in AZ, prob not enough sunlight yet but wanted practice before the real growing season starts. I don’t check PH or PPM or anything, just winging it at this point. During my continued research I read that if using low ppm water (like my rainwater) you will need to add cal mag at some point. My question is how will I know when I need to add Cal mag? Do I need to add it with this program or is it in the nutes already? I’ll attach a pic from today of my plant.

F5560B64-0AA7-478D-BCE6-EE36AA73A064.jpeg

Hello, it’s me again with my first grow. My auto is still doing great on the GH program from this post and just starting to flower. I used Sunshine Mix #4 with extra perlite, and I use collected rain to water. This is an outdoor grow in AZ, prob not enough sunlight yet but wanted practice before the real growing season starts. I don’t check PH or PPM or anything, just winging it at this point. During my continued research I read that if using low ppm water (like my rainwater) you will need to add cal mag at some point. My question is how will I know when I need to add Cal mag? Do I need to add it with this program or is it in the nutes already? I’ll attach a pic from today of my plant.

F5560B64-0AA7-478D-BCE6-EE36AA73A064.jpeg
Forgot to add the seed sprouted on 12/2/20. I started the program at 3 leaf sets And just switched to the formula for 12/12 on Tuesday since it started blooming (hoping that was correct as since it’s an auto growing outdoors there was no flip from veg to flower )

Hi all,
Just joined the forum and am a beginner grower in N.S. I recently purchased the Advanced Nutrients micro,grow,and bloom nutrients.This is my first time using them and being a new grower I cannot find on the bottles how often to use the mixture. Is it every time I “water” the plants or less often? I am growing inside a tent and in just plain soil from the local nursery. Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi all,
Just joined the forum and am a beginner grower in N.S. I recently purchased the Advanced Nutrients micro,grow,and bloom nutrients.This is my first time using them and being a new grower I cannot find on the bottles how often to use the mixture. Is it every time I “water” the plants or less often? I am growing inside a tent and in just plain soil from the local nursery. Any help greatly appreciated.
Greetings Maldad and :welcome: to 420magazine!

I'd start by clicking this link:

and taking a look at what AN has to say on the subject.

That said, somewhere in the back of my mind I recall reading that folks using AN nutes don't get much higher than 50% strength, fed with every watering.

Your mileage may vary, so keep an eye on your plants!

Hi all,
Yes every time you water. You should Cal Mag to the mix as well.

Re: NUTES - What To Use and How to use them - Tutorial

Maybe I'm misreading this, but I believe if I gave my plants this much FF nutes, they would be burnt to a crisp.

Anyone actually giving their plants this much FF chemical nutes like Grow Big and Tiger Bloom in soil?

:peace:

Harry
Lol...NO .I like my plants to live. Im sure this will shock some but I try to give my plants as few nutes as possible and only supplement what I think theyre lacking . As long as you start with a quality live soil you should need very few nutes til flowering . Then its just molasses, cal mag, & a bloom booster/hardener for me . I prefer bloom boosters that contains a small amount of nitrogen as opposed to the ones with none as well. In my experience I get a better final product remembering with nutes less is best but to each his own.

FOX FARMS SCHEDULE

Product list:

Grow Big--$16
Tiger Bloom--$16
Big Bloom --$16
Open Seseme--$23
ChaChing--$23
Beastie Bloom --$23
And the Optional : Bush Doctor Sledgehammer--$26

There is a 3-pack available for $65 of Open Sesame, Cha Ching and Beastie Bloom IF you can find it!

The last 4 Products are used in small quantities and only at specific times during the grow -- so if you know someone who wanted to go in on the 3-pack with ya, it would be worth it!

Here's the FoxFarms Feeding Schedule for Soil... Hydro is MUCH more complex, unless you use bubblersthen you can follow a Phasic feeding schedule (At end of weekly schedule!)

FOX FARMS FEEDING SCHEDULES

WEEKLY FEEDING- per Gallon
Sprouting and week 1--BigBloom 2TBS
week 2-- 2tsp Grow Big + 2TBS Big Bloom
Week 3--3tsp Grow Big + 2TBS Big Bloom
Week 4--JUST 3 tspGrow Big + 1/4 tsp Open Sesame
Week 5 same as week 4 unless going 12/12--

Week 5- OR--day 1 of 12/12-- 2 tsp Tiger Bloom +1TBS Big Bloom + 1/2 tsp Open Sesame
Week 6--same as above
Week 7-- 2 Tsp Grow Big + 2 tsp Tiger Bloom +1TBS Big Bloom + 1/4 tsp Beastie Bloom
Week 8-- 2Tsp Grow Big + 2 tsp Tiger Bloom +1TBS Big Bloom + 1/2 tsp Beastie Bloom
Week 9-- 2 tsp Tiger Bloom +1TBS Big Bloom + 1/4 tsp Cha Ching
week 10-- Same as above
Week 11--2 tsp Tiger Bloom +1TBS Big Bloom + 1/2 tsp Cha Ching

At beginning of week 11--Check Trichomes-- Flush if ready.. otherwise, continue as with week 11 every week until you flush!

Also recomended--but not a nessesity--
Bush Doctor Sledgehammer (prevents lock-out)
use 2 drops per gallon of water between feedings starting in week 4 of 12/12

PHASIC SHEDULE: (per gallon)
(follow this for bubblers, OR you can use these amounts when watering in soilbut is not as good as the weekly schedule for soil!)

New Clones, or when seedlings get 3 sets of leaves- 1tsp Grow Big + 2tsp Big Bloom
Week 3 of veg (unless going 12/12) ADD 1tsp Grow big + 2 tsp Big Bloom
4 Days Before going 12/12- Add ¼ tsp Open Sesame
Day 1 of 12/12 Drain Reservoir & refill. Add 2 tsp Tiger Bloom + 1TBS Big Bloom + ½ tsp Open Sesame
Week 3 of 12/12Add ¼ tsp Beastie Bloom
Week 5 of 12/12Drain and refill reservoir Add 2 tsp Grow Big + 1 tsp Tiger bloom + 1 TBS Big Bloom + ¼ tsp Cha ching
3-5 Days Before harvest-- Drain and refill reservoir add 2 drops Sledgehammer

keep the res filled in between feedings with ph adjusted water--

The reasonFox Farms doesn't list nutes for weeks 2 & 4 is that it ASSUMES your res won't go down, so you won't NEED any additional nutes (if your res stays full- great!)..
but if the plants are pretty big, or the room is warm/dry-- they can need refilling up to 3-4x a week!!! The chart doesn't take that into account--
Remember-- feed AT MOST 1x each week-- only water in-between!
Use additional nutes from week one at 1/2 rate until in flower (between recomended feeds) then in flower-- for additional feeds, use the nutes from the 1st week of flower at 1/2 rate in between...again--NEVER feed more than 1x a week!

Bubblers MAY use the weekly Schedules-- BUT ONLY if you use an ec/ppm meter to keep the levels where they should be....
an ec around 1.2-1.5 in veg.. then 1.5 -1.7 in flower unlitt the last 2-3 weeks... then can go as high as 2.0. Watch yor plants! they'll tell you if you are over/under feeding!
Is it ok to use recharge with this schedule of nutes and adds?

I personally would never recommend anyone buy the entire line of FF nutes (and that post was from 2008 as well), but since Recharge is kelp, molasses, humic acids, and microbes, I can't see any reason it would be a problem to add it.
Ok, I was just about to order the 3 additives to add to the FF trio I used last grow or should I only add recharge? I wanted to add a little something more to their diet for a bigger possibly better yield this round. I’ll also be upgrading the light as well.

Back
Top Bottom