4inch PVC Aero/NFT 4x5 SCROG - 1200 Watts

Re: 4inch PVC Aero/NFT 4x5 SCROG (1200 Watts)

420fied, an inspiration to any Hydro Grower wanting to set one up. Clean, knowledgable, easy access, and no doubt one to keep watching as they grow along.

Thanks for the kind words. It really isnt that hard to get set up. It's expensive to get set up right but I believe that it's going to be worth it.

I've decided to add a parts list to this post. This can work as a guide for anyone wanting to test the waters. This should make it very easy for anyone wanting to duplicate this build. Many of you will have some of this stuff laying around. However, I'm no Handyman so I had to purchase almost everything. Besides, I want to do this(make an exact list) because I plan on building another matching unit someday.

Parts list
(2) 10' pieces of 4 inch sch40 PVC pipe
(1) 10' piece of 1/2 inch PVC pipe
(3) 1/2" Tees
(2) 1/2" 90* Elbows
(3) 4 inch sch40 PVC endcaps
(1) 8' 2x4 (ripped to make the frame that supports the ends of the tubes)
(3) bags of 14 inch Zipties
(1) 2 inch Hole Saw blade
(1) 4 inch Hole Saw blade
(1) 1/2 inch Hole Saw Blade
(1) 45 Gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck Tote with lid
(1) 30 Gallon Rubbermad Roughneck Tote with lid
(2) Bulkhead fittings(1 for nute res drain and 1 for RO water res outlet)
(1) Garden Hose valve for bottom of nute res
(1) 50' roll of 1/2" vinyl tubing
(1) 100' roll of 1/4" Vinyl tubing
(18) 6mm Rubber Grommets(for 9 plant sites)
(18) 330* Spray Heads(for 9 plant sites)
(1) 7/16" drill bit(for spray sites)
(9) 2" Net Pots(Easy to get on Ebay)
(9) 2" Neoprene inserts(you'll have to buy a bag)
(1) Tube of White Silicone
(1) 1/2"x1/2" compression valve( to release water from the RO res)
(1) 1/4" Float valve(ro res)
(1) 1/2" Float valve(nute res)
(1) Box of Brass Tee's(special order)
(1) Heavy Duty Stand for nute res
(2) rolls of Teflon Tape
(1) Reverse Osmosis Water Unit
(1) 633 GPH Eco Sub Pump
(1) 370 GPH inline pump(to drain nute res)
(1) 500 GPH Danner inline pump(to operate the chiller)
(8) small hose clamps
(1) garden hose
(1) Hydro timer(special order, allows sprayer settings of 5 on and 30 off, etc)
(1) Milwaukee PH Meter
(1) Milwaukee TDS Meter
(1) Milwaukee 4.0 230ml buffer solution(to calibrate my ph meter)
(1) Milwaukee 7.0 230ml buffer solution(to calibrate my ph meter)
(1) Quart PH up
(1) Quart PH down
(1) 1/10 HP Chiller
(1) roll of 4'x50' Mylar
(2) 600 watt HPS units
(1) AN Sensi Grow part A
(1) AN Sensi Grow part B
(1) Conisseur Bloom part A
(1) Conisseur Bloom part B

Of course there will be miscellaneous things such as timers, etc but this will get you REAL close. I'll give advice or help to anyone that decides to copy this unit.

Expect to have $1400 in the unit without the lights.

I have all my parts ordered. Hoping to get them this week. Lots of work ahead of me. My plan is to set up two tubes in the veg room and two tubes on one of my flower systems. I have been reading as much as I can about aeroponics and really think this will improve my yields tremendously. Will be a good side by side comparison. If this works the way I think it will I will switch my entire garden over. I will be following this grow very closely. Thanks for all your help so far.

Samurai

I have all my parts ordered. Hoping to get them this week. Lots of work ahead of me. My plan is to set up two tubes in the veg room and two tubes on one of my flower systems. I have been reading as much as I can about aeroponics and really think this will improve my yields tremendously. Will be a good side by side comparison. If this works the way I think it will I will switch my entire garden over. I will be following this grow very closely. Thanks for all your help so far.

Samurai

Awesome. Please post pictures of your setup when you do it. I hope it works out for you.

Today the roots are clearly starting to show. I shifted the water temp from 74* down to 66* but the PPM stays at 200 until they get good and rooted. PH = 5.9

Timer still set on 20 on and 1 off until all show roots 1 to 2 inches, then I'll switch to 10 on and 30 off.

rooted_1.jpg

ppm1.jpg

Nice. Have you ever thought about using ultrasonic fog in those NFT pipes? I'm working out a DIY system now. What you've got obviously works well!

It's called Fogponics. It's the process of atomizing the water (nutrient) droplets so that they are more readily available to the plant. From what I read it is used in conjunction with NFT or Aeroponics. The fog resides in the upper root zone. The roots create smaller hairs in the upper rootzone so they absorb the nutrient faster and more efficiently. You will notice these small hairs on a well established plant, take a close look at the upper root zone of an older plant and you will notice all the very small hairs up very close to the top of the roots. Fogponics is like "super aeroponics" since the idea is the same just smaller nutrient droplets. I think it is still relatively new and the "foggers" are expensive. I am a little concerned about reliability and maintenance on the units otherwise the theory sounds solid. Very promising for cloning.

Samurai

+rep buddy,

nice job so far, clean and well thought out.

I always say "there aint nothin finer than a fine naked lady holding a gun. . ."
oops wrong quote. i meant
"There's nothing more satisfying than a Good DIY project coming to fruition"
yeah, thats the one.

Keep up the good work and great pics.

+rep buddy,

nice job so far, clean and well thought out.

I always say "there aint nothin finer than a fine naked lady holding a gun. . ."
oops wrong quote. i meant
"There's nothing more satisfying than a Good DIY project coming to fruition"
yeah, thats the one.

Keep up the good work and great pics.

Thanks man. I'll keep the pics coming.

It's called Fogponics. It's the process of atomizing the water (nutrient) droplets so that they are more readily available to the plant. From what I read it is used in conjunction with NFT or Aeroponics. The fog resides in the upper root zone. The roots create smaller hairs in the upper rootzone so they absorb the nutrient faster and more efficiently. You will notice these small hairs on a well established plant, take a close look at the upper root zone of an older plant and you will notice all the very small hairs up very close to the top of the roots. Fogponics is like "super aeroponics" since the idea is the same just smaller nutrient droplets. I think it is still relatively new and the "foggers" are expensive. I am a little concerned about reliability and maintenance on the units otherwise the theory sounds solid. Very promising for cloning.

Samurai

+rep. Thanks man.:bongrip:

Yep Samurai described it well... just seemed like your system is perfect for it. Didn't mean to hijack the thread though!

Hey dude..... wicked !!! Great job with the diy NFT setup, very impressive. I'll keep checking in on this grow of yours. By all the positive response it would appear you've hit a nerve with everyone, and that is good !!!

:peace:

Buddah

Back
Top Bottom