A few harvest facts

Slightly different, never once had a bad cure…

Ideally you want them to hang for 5-7 days, or when the average size branch snaps, but doesn’t break when you bend it.

I started putting the buds in oven bags to burp, because burping 15 jars twice a days sucks. When they get to 62%, I jar them with Boveda 62 and a small hydrometer. Depending on how they feel, I might keep burping once a day for another week or so

@InTheShed says:

I burp twice a day for a week and then once a day for a week. This is after hanging for as close to a week as I can get given the ambient RH. If I have to jar them earlier, then the twice a day burping gets extended.

So basically I'm not sealing them up until three weeks after chop day.

Burping serves a couple of purposes. First is that it steadily lowers the humidity in the buds down where we want it (some folks like 62, some like 58). At the same time, you are airing out the jars during the start of the cure so there will be fresh oxygen in there for the bacteria that are munching down the chlorophyll. They're not anaerobic so they need oxygen.

If you had a room that was always 62% RH with cool temps, you could hang your buds in there forever. But since hardly anyone does, we burp down to 62% and jar when the bulk of the chlorophyll is gone.

Bovedas are for long term storage, so don't add them to the jars until the jars are already in the low 60s and you're ready to seal them up. They're an insurance policy.

Washing yer buds will help you with an even cure!!!
good info ---- generally I go 3-5 days (hang time)and instead of oven bags I use plactic tub w/lids like you say no burping - your process is very good !!!! (good time reference)

Slightly different, never once had a bad cure…

Ideally you want them to hang for 5-7 days, or when the average size branch snaps, but doesn’t break when you bend it.

I started putting the buds in oven bags to burp, because burping 15 jars twice a days sucks. When they get to 62%, I jar them with Boveda 62 and a small hydrometer. Depending on how they feel, I might keep burping once a day for another week or so

@InTheShed says:

I burp twice a day for a week and then once a day for a week. This is after hanging for as close to a week as I can get given the ambient RH. If I have to jar them earlier, then the twice a day burping gets extended.

So basically I'm not sealing them up until three weeks after chop day.

Burping serves a couple of purposes. First is that it steadily lowers the humidity in the buds down where we want it (some folks like 62, some like 58). At the same time, you are airing out the jars during the start of the cure so there will be fresh oxygen in there for the bacteria that are munching down the chlorophyll. They're not anaerobic so they need oxygen.

If you had a room that was always 62% RH with cool temps, you could hang your buds in there forever. But since hardly anyone does, we burp down to 62% and jar when the bulk of the chlorophyll is gone.

Bovedas are for long term storage, so don't add them to the jars until the jars are already in the low 60s and you're ready to seal them up. They're an insurance policy.

Washing yer buds will help you with an even cure!!!
I have 2 plants. I'm following this process for the first (sadly without the wash :( ). The other plant I'm following @Auggie 's method. I'm having carpal tunnel surgery Friday and can't get the second plant trimmed before and won't be able to trim for a few weeks after...so.....a man's gotta do what man's gotta do...plus using 2 different methods I can learn a lot more :)

What about performing a 1/3 clip of the main stalk with a set of wire cutters during the dark period before harvest. I have read that it causes stress to the plant and consequently a push upwards of chemicals from the roots that support terpenes and THC. Plant thinks it's mortally wounded and it's last gasp before dying. Myth or fact?

The one thing, big thing, I had to learn when I came to work for this outfit is that EVERYTHING is important.
To get a heavy, quality product ... everything is important.

I assume you're talking about temp of cure ...
We keep our cure rooms at 65 degrees F, and 65% Rh.
It takes about seven days till it's ready for trim.

65/65

For my own jar I do not get trimmed product. At the end of the 7 days I cut some six inch branches with flowers on them and take em home to go into a brown bag. In a month they've aged and cured and mellowed. Then I put em in a jar with a small piece of wet paper towel, and burp daily for a week.
THEN, it's good to go.

Can't go thru all that for commercial production ... but, that's what I do for MY jar; and it makes for a mild good tasting smoke.

You leave your buds (that have just dried for 7 days) in a brown paper bag for a month, then put them in a jar?? I’m not being critical, rather trying to learn the best method for curing my own. I’ve heard and read about lots of folks using brown paper bags, but none have left them in the bag for a month. It doesn’t dry them out too much?

The one thing, big thing, I had to learn when I came to work for this outfit is that EVERYTHING is important.
To get a heavy, quality product ... everything is important.

I assume you're talking about temp of cure ...
We keep our cure rooms at 65 degrees F, and 65% Rh.
It takes about seven days till it's ready for trim.

65/65

For my own jar I do not get trimmed product. At the end of the 7 days I cut some six inch branches with flowers on them and take em home to go into a brown bag. In a month they've aged and cured and mellowed. Then I put em in a jar with a small piece of wet paper towel, and burp daily for a week.
THEN, it's good to go.

Can't go thru all that for commercial production ... but, that's what I do for MY jar; and it makes for a mild good tasting smoke.

Well written. I saved this for later when I harvest. Thank you for the invaluable knowledge

i have harvested under multiple different conditions. my hang time and process changes depending on environment.

What about performing a 1/3 clip of the main stalk with a set of wire cutters during the dark period before harvest. I have read that it causes stress to the plant and consequently a push upwards of chemicals from the roots that support terpenes and THC. Plant thinks it's mortally wounded and it's last gasp before dying. Myth or fact?
to be honest "stalk splitting" , dark periods, ect all put stress on theplant which one wants but the return on your efforts is little. FYI in South America 1 week before harvest farmers go thru grwos and suppercrop large lateral branches for increased trichome development. For use the effort doesn't equal the returns There are admements that help develope trichomes which will increase terpene's (PM for names of - don't want to spam)

About half full ... laying down.
Fold the top over a couple of one inch folds, then lay em down.
The moisture wicks out into the paper.
In a day of so, the paper will feel damp. That's good.

Keep it cool, like 60 or so otherwise mold will happen.

Pick em up and shake em a couple times so no wet spots are touching ...
Ok...I think this is my last question...when do you remove the fan leaves?

Alright...maybe one more...for those who jar and burp...how long is a burp? do you leave the lid off for 5,10,20 minutes?

Curios minds wanna know :idea:

Ok...I think this is my last question...when do you remove the fan leaves?

Alright...maybe one more...for those who jar and burp...how long is a burp? do you leave the lid off for 5,10,20 minutes?

Curios minds wanna know :idea:
Don’t remove fans until you’re about to harvest. Don’t stop feeding either.

Read the harvest cure in my link. It’s all answered for you there.

Don’t remove fans until you’re about to harvest. Don’t stop feeding either.

Read the harvest cure in my link. It’s all answered for you there.
I looked at your last 3 links and don't see the answers o_O

@Auggie I cut the stalk and hung the plant upside down. Should I cut off the fan leaves now?

1643412999783.png

Back
Top Bottom