A few harvest facts

Well please correct me if I'm wrong. But from my experience, which isn't decades. I haven't seen any one discuss temperatures? But I was always under the impression that volatile terpenes evaporate at certain temperatures i.e. around 70F. I don't feel a 48 hr dark period does anything but Rob it of 2 more days of filling out n swelling.
If you can smell your plants, terpenes are evaporating.

Well please correct me if I'm wrong. But from my experience, which isn't decades. I haven't seen any one discuss temperatures? But I was always under the impression that volatile terpenes evaporate at certain temperatures i.e. around 70F. I don't feel a 48 hr dark period does anything but Rob it of 2 more days of filling out n swelling.
The one thing, big thing, I had to learn when I came to work for this outfit is that EVERYTHING is important.
To get a heavy, quality product ... everything is important.

I assume you're talking about temp of cure ...
We keep our cure rooms at 65 degrees F, and 65% Rh.
It takes about seven days till it's ready for trim.

65/65

For my own jar I do not get trimmed product. At the end of the 7 days I cut some six inch branches with flowers on them and take em home to go into a brown bag. In a month they've aged and cured and mellowed. Then I put em in a jar with a small piece of wet paper towel, and burp daily for a week.
THEN, it's good to go.

Can't go thru all that for commercial production ... but, that's what I do for MY jar; and it makes for a mild good tasting smoke.

Post in thread 'Do these trichomes look done? Zoom'
Do these trichomes look done? Zoom

Give this one a read, or click the link in my sig about holding your plants over. 36 hours is key.

Here are a few interesting facts:
1) hanging plants up-side down increase's potency ---More likely whole plant hanging slows the drying process and H20 lost therefore reduces loss of terpens\es and giving and better taste and aroma
2) Allowing an extended 24-48hr dark time - Many terpenes are voliated and exaporated when light are on; keeping the plant in the dark gives these delicate terpens a chance to make it to the drying room

Ref:MJBIZ DAILY.COM
back in the 70s, i got a book called - a child's garden of grass - history, how to grow, different stuff about weed.

in it, the author stated that you should pull the plant out of the soil, including the roots, as the roots were where the THC was. and that hanging the whole plant upside down would cause the thc to flow into the buds.
:rofl:

decades later, we're still wondering. as every few years, there's a new reality that someone figures out.
i'm trying to find the article on mjbiz. i never noticed anything different when i kept the girls in the dark for one or two days. makes me wonder what the sun loving plants think about it. i was on cannabis "boards" before there were boards. just - alt.marijuana, alt.cannabis growing, there were a bunch of them but no pictures, just text. we were all experimenting with twisting the hurd, nail through the stalk, fire close to the buds (my favorite), loud music classical vs hard rock. if it was stressful to the plants, somebody tried it. i tried em all. i don't do it anymore but i like to stay high and might just not notice a difference.

thanks for the info. i hope i live another 10 years to see what science type people come up with. i think the israelis are the furthest along with experimenting. or some little old man in the forests of northern thailand.

my first concert. some cops were on horseback and each one had a very long, white, night stick. like 3 feet long. like we were going to burn the place down. war music. :)

back in the 70s, i got a book called - a child's garden of grass - history, how to grow, different stuff about weed.

in it, the author stated that you should pull the plant out of the soil, including the roots, as the roots were where the THC was. and that hanging the whole plant upside down would cause the thc to flow into the buds.
:rofl:

decades later, we're still wondering. as every few years, there's a new reality that someone figures out.
i'm trying to find the article on mjbiz. i never noticed anything different when i kept the girls in the dark for one or two days. makes me wonder what the sun loving plants think about it.

thanks for the info. i hope i live another 10 years to see what science type people come up with. i think the israelis are the furthest along with experimenting. or some little old man in the forests of northern thailand.
Don't forget to boil the roots in water first. LOL :p

The one thing, big thing, I had to learn when I came to work for this outfit is that EVERYTHING is important.
To get a heavy, quality product ... everything is important.

65/65

For my own jar I do not get trimmed product. At the end of the 7 days I cut some six inch branches with flowers on them and take em home to go into a brown bag. In a month they've aged and cured and mellowed. Then I put em in a jar with a small piece of wet paper towel, and burp daily for a week.
THEN, it's good to go.

Can't go thru all that for commercial production ... but, that's what I do for MY jar; and it makes for a mild good tasting smoke.

the old weed in the paper bag trick. :) you can tell im about to sacrifice the virgins when i ask the grocery store for paper, not plastic.

you mention the cure but do you do some drying first? if so, how do you do it? ive tried so many different things, too dry, not dry enough, perfect snap of a twig which we used to use as the end of drying and beginnning of the cure. i could write - 101 ways to mess up a cure. -

the old weed in the paper bag trick. :) you can tell im about to sacrifice the virgins when i ask the grocery store for paper, not plastic.

you mention the cure but do you do some drying first? if so, how do you do it? ive tried so many different things, too dry, not dry enough, perfect snap of a twig which we used to use as the end of drying and beginnning of the cure. i could write - 101 ways to mess up a cure. -
After it's hung and is 'ready for trim', IF it's a crop I really want in my jar, I take about a lb of that in six inch length cuts. They go into brown paper bag, dark and cool place (the spare bedroom closet). I check every week or so, just shake em up ...
In about three weeks I will not be able to wait and I'll take a flower and trim it and mom and I will smoke it. Yum. "Yea, it's green, but tastes good. And it's stony as fuk."
In a week more or so, maybe more, maybe less depending on the time of year. Humidity, temp, etc. In a week or ten days they get trimmed, and placed in an air tight jar (usually) with a small piece of wet paper towel.
The contents of those jars get tested, frequently and extensively until it is JUST right ... then, it seems we run out and the whole thing starts again. (Actually, there's generations waiting).

I am spoiled.

AND, AND it's good to hear from a brother OG. I was 'there'. I was AT the People's Park Riots in Berkeley, in 67ish. The free concerts in SF (Janis Joplin, Carlos Santana). When the air was dirty and sex was clean.

I started my 'career' in this job when I was 16 and worked as a mule, delivering fertilizer and food and drink to the farmer in charge of 200 plant gorilla grows in the Cascade Mountains of Northern California.
I got my first grow when I was 19.
I did several of those. What an education. I was out there, all by myself for sometimes two weeks at a time. I had to solve problems with whatever I had. Weather was a big risk. But, there was also cougar about.
The worksite got raided when I was 22. Helicopters and dogs and ... I had a bugout bag and a plan ... Got away, only took four days ... lol.

Worked for the same guy cloning. He wouldn't give me another grow because he says, 'the cops know you.' So, I learned how to clone. Got good at it. Made a lot of babies. Lot.

It was a small community back then. And very private.
Not like today.

Sorry, grandpa gets high and starts telling stories.
"Go back to sleep grampa, it's ok. Here's your bong."

/

After it's hung and is 'ready for trim', IF it's a crop I really want in my jar, I take about a lb of that in six inch length cuts. They go into brown paper bag, dark and cool place (the spare bedroom closet). I check every week or so, just shake em up ...
In about three weeks I will not be able to wait and I'll take a flower and trim it and mom and I will smoke it. Yum. "Yea, it's green, but tastes good. And it's stony as fuk."
In a week more or so, maybe more, maybe less depending on the time of year. Humidity, temp, etc. In a week or ten days they get trimmed, and placed in an air tight jar (usually) with a small piece of wet paper towel.
The contents of those jars get tested, frequently and extensively until it is JUST right ... then, it seems we run out and the whole thing starts again. (Actually, there's generations waiting).

I am spoiled.

AND, AND it's good to hear from a brother OG. I was 'there'. I was AT the People's Park Riots in Berkeley, in 67ish. The free concerts in SF (Janis Joplin, Carlos Santana). When the air was dirty and sex was clean.

I started my 'career' in this job when I was 16 and worked as a mule, delivering fertilizer and food and drink to the farmer in charge of 200 plant gorilla grows in the Cascade Mountains of Northern California.
I did several of those. What an education. I was out there, all by myself for sometimes two weeks at a time. I had to solve problems with whatever I had. Weather was a big risk. But, there was also cougar about.
The worksite got raided when I was 22. Helicopters and dogs and ... I had a bugout bag and a plan ... Got away, only took four days ... lol.

Worked for the same guy cloning. He wouldn't give me another grow because he says, 'the cops know you.' So, I learned how to clone. Got good at it. Made a lot of babies. Lot.

Not like today.

/
thanks for you info --- You did date yourself - good to know there are some "Old Farts" like myself on this site _ digging into your knowedge - what do you use for nutrients/teas ? Peace

I am spoiled.

Not like today.

/
sounds like a fun and adventurous life. i wish i could have gotten high with my relatives to help with their problems or just to get high with my beloved grampa and grandma.

we used to have such fun. people barely knew what weed smelled like back then. hi mum, I used too much patchouli oil and i burnt the pizza AGAIN!!! and my eyes are purple because of these darn hard contact lenses (that one worked a bunch of times.) :cool:

i did a few small outdoor grows but it was too weird for me. i still duck when i hear a whirly bird or the snap of a branch while in the mountains.

i always hang the plant. this round, i'll try the paper bag dry and then on to cure.

steppenwolf was my first concert. i had gotten out of kiddie jail that morning for possession of the herb. still stirs the blood.

i didn't know what pollution was until i got stationed in california. have a great new year

sounds like a fun and adventurous life. i wish i could have gotten high with my relatives to help with their problems or just to get high with my beloved grampa and grandma.

we used to have such fun. people barely knew what weed smelled like back then. hi mum, I used too much patchouli oil and i burnt the pizza AGAIN!!! and my eyes are purple because of these darn hard contact lenses (that one worked a bunch of times.) :cool:

i did a few small outdoor grows but it was too weird for me. i still duck when i hear a whirly bird or the snap of a branch while in the mountains.

i always hang the plant. this round, i'll try the paper bag dry and then on to cure.

steppenwolf was my first concert. i had gotten out of kiddie jail that morning for possession of the herb. still stirs the blood.

i didn't know what pollution was until i got stationed in california. have a great new year
Yeah, I know what you mean about "the good old days" and people not being totally aware of how pot smelled and looked.

I grew my first 420 crop in the family garden - told my Mom it was tomatoes - she bought it. She always wondered why I got no tomatoes though...I told her I would do better next year. It was a "test crop".

For the next Summer's crop, I expanded a bit and used a shed roof + the garden for best light coverage and increase crop size. Still no tomatoes though...my Mom thought it was too much direct light. LOL!

My friends and I even smoked the leaf-parts in abundance in those days and thought we were "kings of the ganja spirit".

Ahhh...the good ole days!

P.S. Steppenwolf - how did you know? - my fave in those days! "Born to be Wild". Always.

After it's hung and is 'ready for trim'
@Auggie ...I'm diggin' this info man! But can you help a noobie out? By hung and ready for trim...what does that mean? Do you cut the stalk and hang the whole plant upside down? What temp / humidity level do you keep? How long do you leave them hangin' before they're ready to cut into 6" strips and put into paper sacks? I'm assuming it's lights out and fans creating a light breeze.

If I were to hang them in my grow tent would keep the intake fan running? Exhaust only to moderate humidity?

@Auggie ...I'm diggin' this info man! But can you help a noobie out? By hung and ready for trim...what does that mean? Do you cut the stalk and hang the whole plant upside down? What temp / humidity level do you keep? How long do you leave them hangin' before they're ready to cut into 6" strips and put into paper sacks? I'm assuming it's lights out and fans creating a light breeze.

If I were to hang them in my grow tent would keep the intake fan running? Exhaust only to moderate humidity?
like to hang for 3 days then cut buds off stems into a plastic bin - cover and once day open up mix then top again (sweating the buds) sweat for 4-5 days untill they are dry - then jar ! ( I like a dry spongy buds) so that's 7-8day dry to jar (hanging then jaring makes drier buds vs sweating)

This is how we do it, but keep in mind that we are harvesting 110 or so plants.

Stalk is cut, doesn't matter what angle just cut.
Plant is hung upside down in a cool dark room. In a perfect world it is at 60 degrees F, with 60% RH. Three days.
Then RH is lowered to 45%. Constant testing. When the small stems start to bend to a snap we start trimming. As the trim proceeds they dry more. We don't do the paper bag thing, but that is a good way to regulate humidity. The brown bags actually absorb some moisture and it kind of equalizes things.
If they get too dry we rehydrate with clean water on a paper towel.

Don't make it hard. It really isn't.

Biggest problem is when they stay too moist and get warm. Keep air moving over the flower, good air flow.
If they get too dry, I like to rehydrate right on the plant so that the flower doesn't turn into dust when the trimmers go to work. Dry is not good as it effects the weight of the product. It can be rehydrated and should be before trimming.
I have gone into a cure room and just poured five gallons of water on the floor and spread it around. Also, have hung wet bath towels.
I'd rather have them too wet, than too dry.
Trimmers complain because it slows them down, gums up scissors, but it it's too dry then they don't get the weight. Balance.

Plant is hung upside down in a cool dark room. In a perfect world it is at 60 degrees F, with 60% RH. Three days.
Then RH is lowered to 45%. Constant testing. When the small stems start to bend to a snap we start trimming. As the trim proceeds they dry more. We don't do the paper bag thing, but that is a good way to regulate humidity. The brown bags actually absorb some moisture and it kind of equalizes things.

Biggest problem is when they stay too moist and get warm. Keep air moving over the flower, good air flow.
If they get too dry, I like to rehydrate right on the plant so that the flower doesn't turn into dust when the trimmers go to work. Dry is not good as it effects the weight of the product. It can be rehydrated and should be before trimming.
I have gone into a cure room and just poured five gallons of water on the floor and spread it around. Also, have hung wet bath towels.
Trimmers complain because it slows them down, gums up scissors, but it it's too dry then they don't get the weight. Balance.
great info ~~ remember when using a brown paper bag was the way !! some 10yr + ago

All good to know!

Please tell us how you cure.

Then RH is lowered to 45%. Constant testing. When the small stems start to bend to a snap we start trimming.

65/65

THEN, it's good to go.

@Auggie thanks again!

I'm going to try this process with a plant I started to harvest yesterday. I'm going to let it go until Thursday then I'll chop it at the base and follow the process outlined above.

I'm assuming the 7 days is 3 days at 60/60 then 4 days at 60/45 or until the small stems snap when bent.

How many 6" strips per brown paper sack?

Slightly different, never once had a bad cure…

Ideally you want them to hang for 5-7 days, or when the average size branch snaps, but doesn’t break when you bend it.

I started putting the buds in oven bags to burp, because burping 15 jars twice a days sucks. When they get to 62%, I jar them with Boveda 62 and a small hydrometer. Depending on how they feel, I might keep burping once a day for another week or so

@InTheShed says:

I burp twice a day for a week and then once a day for a week. This is after hanging for as close to a week as I can get given the ambient RH. If I have to jar them earlier, then the twice a day burping gets extended.

So basically I'm not sealing them up until three weeks after chop day.

Burping serves a couple of purposes. First is that it steadily lowers the humidity in the buds down where we want it (some folks like 62, some like 58). At the same time, you are airing out the jars during the start of the cure so there will be fresh oxygen in there for the bacteria that are munching down the chlorophyll. They're not anaerobic so they need oxygen.

If you had a room that was always 62% RH with cool temps, you could hang your buds in there forever. But since hardly anyone does, we burp down to 62% and jar when the bulk of the chlorophyll is gone.

Bovedas are for long term storage, so don't add them to the jars until the jars are already in the low 60s and you're ready to seal them up. They're an insurance policy.

Washing yer buds will help you with an even cure!!!

Back
Top Bottom