A Modest Attempt At DWC From Scratch

I'll have to find the info on the air pump and stones I have but I'm just running some basic air pump for two stones one in each bucket. I also threw in the towel and I am buying a chiller rather than going with the DIY. I am still doing some research on that purchase. I also went with Hannah Instruments for the PH, TDS, Temp meter. Not sure if I said that yet. I used their PH meter before and loved it.

Good info, thank you sir!
So with undercurrent though, would 2 of my big 5inch stones be enough in the res along with a waterfall into the res? Or would I still need a smaller stone in each bucket? Just trying to watch costs and hoses being everywhere lol
I believe I seen an undercurrent system built that had waterfalls in each bucket and air stones, that was a crazy setup
It all depends on the pump. I run a pump like this
5731F497-5157-4E47-BF81-55954B42BA05.jpeg

Real powerful and silent. It will do 20 airlines.
1AC63B82-0ABA-4008-A945-7916B94764D3.jpeg

I run 8 sometimes 9 lines and they go to 2 inch air stones.
98CF7221-119B-4E31-840D-F5624B847A6F.jpeg
My water looks like it boiling. On top of this I have a top feed to every bucket as well.
The true under current is perfect and simple I just like the top feed for adding DO and circulation. It definitely helps to keep the nutrient suspended in the mix.

It all depends on the pump. I run a pump like this
5731F497-5157-4E47-BF81-55954B42BA05.jpeg

Real powerful and silent. It will do 20 airlines.
1AC63B82-0ABA-4008-A945-7916B94764D3.jpeg

I run 8 sometimes 9 lines and they go to 2 inch air stones.
98CF7221-119B-4E31-840D-F5624B847A6F.jpeg
My water looks like it boiling. On top of this I have a top feed to every bucket as well.
The true under current is perfect and simple I just like the top feed for adding DO and circulation. It definitely helps to keep the nutrient suspended in the mix.
Sweet, I'll use my current pump for the CBD DWC I have going on the side and upgrade to a big bad pump for the tent. Any advice on stones selection? Very much appreciate all the info!

I'll have to find the info on the air pump and stones I have but I'm just running some basic air pump for two stones one in each bucket. I also threw in the towel and I am buying a chiller rather than going with the DIY. I am still doing some research on that purchase. I also went with Hannah Instruments for the PH, TDS, Temp meter. Not sure if I said that yet. I used their PH meter before and loved it.
All good man don’t break the bank but a chiller is key to a healthy res and will save you a ton of problems long term.
The good thing is this stuff will pay for itself over time

All good man don’t break the bank but a chiller is key to a healthy res and will save you a ton of problems long term.
The good thing is this stuff will pay for itself over time
It is a hobby of love and as you say eventually pays for itself. Mere pennies for the amount of knowledge when compared to my education haha

Sweet, I'll use my current pump for the CBD DWC I have going on the side and upgrade to a big bad pump for the tent. Any advice on stones selection? Very much appreciate all the info!
I use this style air stones. They r stay down due the weight and put out a lot of air.
588809BE-4110-4EAD-B299-3C61B5484DF7.jpeg

If they r to small they will plug up or float around if you put to much air.
It’s all about the pump and a quiet pump like the one I use will cost a bit.
32 decibels but it’s much quieter then my pump in my res lol.

I use this style air stones. They r stay down due the weight and put out a lot of air. If they r to small they will plug up or float around if you put to much air.
I sort of noticed this with mine, they aren't the heaviest, but I like that I can secure them to the bottom of the bucket if I want to. I'll be doing that next time because as they vibrate, they like to move around the bottom. My roots are actually getting tangled up almost in a knot because of the amount of water movement.

For sure. However if your in a building those air pumps @dick23rk r a bit louder.
I do have friends using them as well and they r great but maybe to loud for every application.
Just something to think about.
Yeah they are a little noisy, not as bad as my in line booster duct fan though lol
That's why I sat it ok the towel, helped dampen the sound a bit. But sometimes more quite is better yep.

Yeah they are a little noisy, not as bad as my in line booster duct fan though lol
That's why I sat it ok the towel, helped dampen the sound a bit. But sometimes more quite is better yep.
In my place I don’t care so much about noise. 430 am over here and my house sounds like it’s in full swing lmao Fans going pumps running, controllers running. In a condo I might be a little more cautious.

I sort of noticed this with mine, they aren't the heaviest, but I like that I can secure them to the bottom of the bucket if I want to. I'll be doing that next time because as they vibrate, they like to move around the bottom. My roots are actually getting tangled up almost in a knot because of the amount of water movement.
Your buckets look mint lots of DO and water movement keeping all the nutrient suspended

I did level out the feedline as well but I was too stoned and posted it in my 101 thread which I need to give more attention to. Anyway here is the feedline more level.

20210404_201009.jpg
I love this photo brother awesome set up you had a game plan and pulled it off!!!!! I can't wait to witness pure fire in that tent

Happy Friday everyone! I just upgraded my pump for the airstones. I think this one should really get the water bubbling!

I'm next door at their weed themed burger joint so ill post an update pic or video later if I get it hooked up this evening. Still waiting on my ph and what not meter. Canadian mail moves like cold syrup, in my humble opinion. Beautiful weather here though!

Be careful how much turbulence you get going. I'm not 100% if they was my issue for sure or not, but it seemed that once I closed the valves halfway on my manifold, my plants started to recover. Now, it could have been the switch to the new light, but it's been up for a week today and 1 still hasn't quite recovered, so I don't think it was just the light. I believe my pump is too big and with it going full bore on just 2 buckets, there was so much turbulence it was damaging the roots once they got developed. Just some food for thought since we were on the topic there.

And from what I've read so far. It's really hard to come close to the saturation point for DO using just an air pump and stones. In order to reach max DO I think you would need to be introducing liquid oxygen.

Back
Top Bottom