A Modest Attempt At DWC From Scratch

one thing that is interesting is the cherry pie seedlings both are stretching whereas the others cbdiesel and CBDutch seedlings are not really. I think the cherry pie seeds stopped stretching so ill top off some soil or bury deeper on transplant. Just curious if those traits will continue as the plants mature

Happy Thursday everyone! Sorry I have been neglecting this thread. I was waiting on some seeds which have arrived so pretty soon the system will be up and running. I got this new toy today! Never thought I'd be excited to get something that keeps water cold but here I am.
20210506_162601.jpg

The last thing I need that is on my radar is a reverse osmosis filter or whatcha-ma-call-it. I am new to ppm and my new meter but if I have it correct it has a baseline of like 500ppm out of the tap. Seems extremely high (maybe, I have no clue) but won't work from what I have read. I wonder if this place has a water softener which I read is a big no no but I am assuming that is due to high ppm and that an RO would resolve that issue? If not I have a plan or two in the hopper.

For now I need to research but any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Have a great rest of the day!

Incase you want to check it out.

PuroSmart High Flow RO System, Counter Top Home Water Treatment System | Compact Countertop RO System​

I wanted to ask but for some weird reason was awkward and didn't :rofl: Thank you!!!

I'm hoping I can run a hose that's real close through that to the resevoir and then I have a drain in the floor close by for res changes too. That would be ideal but I need to look at that and check the water from the hose

Just checked it out and this looks perfect. Thanks again, @Tokin Roll

Happy Thursday everyone! Sorry I have been neglecting this thread. I was waiting on some seeds which have arrived so pretty soon the system will be up and running. I got this new toy today! Never thought I'd be excited to get something that keeps water cold but here I am.
20210506_162601.jpg

The last thing I need that is on my radar is a reverse osmosis filter or whatcha-ma-call-it. I am new to ppm and my new meter but if I have it correct it has a baseline of like 500ppm out of the tap. Seems extremely high (maybe, I have no clue) but won't work from what I have read. I wonder if this place has a water softener which I read is a big no no but I am assuming that is due to high ppm and that an RO would resolve that issue? If not I have a plan or two in the hopper.

For now I need to research but any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Have a great rest of the day!
Nice choice on the chiller :thumb: We have an RO filter that gets used for small top off’s throughout the week. And use a 2 stage sediment/carbon filter connected to an outdoor hose for the big weekly water change. My biggest complaint about an RO filter is the flow rate. Ours has 6 canisters which probably slows it down quite a bit. The 2 stage flows roughly 2 gpm according to the meter we’re using. It used to take almost an hour to get 5 gallons out of our RO system. But you cant beat that 0 ppm baseline:headbanger:

hey modest .. nice stuff going on here.

you might want to cover that orange bucket or paint it.
roots hate the orange, it bleeds red under light, and affects root growth. it's not a huge deal, but you'll get better development with darker buckets.

oo wow, great info everyone!!!! I definitely ordered the filter @Tokin Roll recommended but it will be a while before it gets here and that filter you mentioned @Michael Hunt would be a cool addition to maybe combine for speed and low ppm. Plus use it in the meantime while I wait for the delivery. Something to chew on.

@bluter great to see you. I had not considered the inside of the bucket to be an issue. If the outside is light proof (I covered them with reflective tape) this is addressed right? Sorry pretty stoned just want to make sure I am tracking

Hey MG, happy to see you got your seeds and getting on track. Good call on the chiller for the hotter months, July and August get pretty hot here sometimes. So far I've been able to keep my res temps at 18-19c in the basement, I can always set the buckets directly on the cool concrete which would help. Hoping if I try hydro again right after this I won't need a chiller, we will see.

Your tap water only being 500ppm is pretty good compared to here. 1400ppm from the town supply. If there's a water softener on your home, get a diversion valve and fit it in to main water line coming into the house, before the water softener. Otherwise a small RO system can be handy for smaller hydro projects. Or you can get whole home systems as well.

Can't wait to see you get started bud! Have a good weekend

Happy Friday everyone! I hope everyone is ready to enjoy the weekend, we have some amazing weather here in Calgary. This place always has the best weather I swear!

Anyway, my RO filter was delivered which means I should hook the chiller up and get the system running and move the wee ones into the tent possibly this weekend. Night temps seem to be doable and I can fill it up with good water now.

Thanks @Tokin Roll for the RO recommendation. I think @Michael Hunt brought up a good point about refill time so we will give it a go tonight and see what we are in for.

Have a great weekend!
20210514_152540.jpg

Happy Wednesday! Sorry again for the delays. The system is up and running minus the RO filter at the moment. I have two GSC seeds going from @Weed Seeds Express that journal is in my signature. Here are the first plants in the system. Day 13 above surface and day 2ish in the system

IMG_20210519_165906_722.jpg
IMG_20210519_165906_759.jpg
IMG_20210519_165906_801.jpg
IMG_20210519_165906_818.jpg

So, I have been working on a little vegetation station. I finally decided to remove the plastic lense on the cheap shop light I bought. 4000k 7000 lumens. 2x4 coverage basically. Here is the current status.

20210604_211604.jpg

Lookin good @Modest Grower :thumb:

Diggin that veg light you’re making. Was this one of those led shop lights supposed to replace the old flouro shop lights? Cant wait to see how plants respond to it :yummy:

Back
Top Bottom