Modest Grower Tests Out Mars Hydro's FC6500

It's basically the same principle as the colloidal silver. I never got around to playing with it, but did get a few auto reg seeds. So I'll basically be doing the same as you, my goal will be to keep a steady stock of pollen in storage for making a few personal crosses.
In storage? Like in a jar you keep somewhere filled with male pollen sacs?

Tough times....gotta dip into the cherry pie stash.

20211202_220545.jpg

Yup, then you take some of the pollen, pollinate a lower branch and voila!
And then what happens??!! They need a separate area, of course I would imagine...and then what?!! They grow, always get veg nutes, and turn into boys? And then you keep them in their own area and then find a girl you want to mingle and put them together and then she becomes a him and then what?? I'm sorry I have no idea about any breeding whatsoever...imagine me now as a 3 yr old in an advanced calculus class

We are about to smash some cherry pie. Specifically, the lady on the right during the grow. I couldn't get good lighting so you got flash. Lets hope for some flow. I want to press like 11ish grams in 2 pucks.

20211202_221133.jpg

I don't want to hijack Modest's thread. So I'll let him explain the full birds and bees :laughtwo:

But to clarify, I meant you take the pollen out of storage when growing out a female and she's mid to early bloom? Modest, when's your plan to use the pollen?
Then spread some of the pollen on the pistils. Seeds will then develop from her pistils that were pollinated. Not her whole plant, just that area. Those seeds will be regular seeds (so not feminized), and carry the parents genetics.

I don't want to hijack Modest's thread. So I'll let him explain the full birds and bees :laughtwo:

But to clarify, I meant you take the pollen out of storage when growing out a female and she's mid to early bloom? Modest, when's your plan to use the pollen?
Then spread some of the pollen on the pistils. Seeds will then develop from her pistils that were pollinated. Not her whole plant, just that area. Those seeds will be regular seeds (so not feminized), and carry the parents genetics.
Dude. Please.. tell us of the birds and the bees. I joke around but if knowledge is shared here, I am honored. I plan to catch the pollen asap. Spread to branches asap. And save some . I do believe this will be pollinating a CBD plant soon

Dude. Please.. tell us of the birds and the bees. I joke around but if knowledge is shared here, I am honored. I plan to catch the pollen asap. Spread to branches asap. And save some . I do believe this will be pollinating a CBD plant soon
To clarify, I say asap because I am creating pollen at the same time as the females. Once you save the pollen and have lore knowledge than me hehe you can apply it at the opportune time.

My understanding is the key is the amount of time the seed can develop. And then you back track from the estimated flower time to make sure it is good. With autos the window is harder for sure

keep in mind friends, this is my first time
Thanks for letting me crash the party and sound like a dumb ass for not knowing anything in pollination. I like that you take your bong water from the fridge...very classy...Idc if it is your first time, that makes it better!! We can all learn together and thank you for allowing me to learn something new ok your thread!! @Rexer-you're awesome and I appreciate you and your words of wisdom

@InTheShed could answer this. :battingeyelashes:
Agreed. I can tell what I've read, but it might be better to speak with someone who actually does pollination.

@InTheShed And @Icemud (sorry Icemud, I know we haven't interacted much, but I've seen some of your posts on breeding).

Both of them have collected and used pollen successfully and can give proper advice vs my guesses from reading. It's not that I don't want to answer, I'm just leery on giving advice that I haven't tested/tried for such a project.

Thanks everyone for joining in the discussion! I am really enjoying this and is one of the reasons I love 420 Magazine.

I totally get and respect not wanting to give out info from a concern of potential unintentional misinformation. That is why I felt the need to state and now repeat, this is my first time and I am sort of loosely going by memory from what I have read in the past. Sometimes, I just jump in to learn or I never get around to it. Luckily, we have great resources in the growers on this site! Happy Friday everyone!!!!

Thanks everyone for joining in the discussion! I am really enjoying this and is one of the reasons I love 420 Magazine.

I totally get and respect not wanting to give out info from a concern of potential unintentional misinformation. That is why I felt the need to state and now repeat, this is my first time and I am sort of loosely going by memory from what I have read in the past. Sometimes, I just jump in to learn or I never get around to it. Luckily, we have great resources in the growers on this site! Happy Friday everyone!!!!
:green_heart:
:thanks: @Modest Grower and @HashGirl!

Well here's a quote, from myself :hmmmm:on some pollination and pollen storage. The reason I posted it, is while it mainly about storage of pollination (using liquid nitrogen), there's a few hidden gems in it IMO. I put those gems in bold inside the quote below.

Hey everyone!

Been a while since I posted in this journal, but thought I would share this article I came across...lots of great little bits of good knowledge in it:

POLITICSSCIENCE & HEALTHCULTUREBUSINESSVIDEONEWSLETTERBILL TRACKINGABOUT MARIJUANA MOMENT.net

Scientists Create New Method To Store Marijuana Pollen On A Long-Term Basis

Published
1 year ago
on April 29, 2020
By
Kyle Jaeger

Researchers have developed a way to determine the viability of pollen germination in marijuana plants, as well as a simple method of storing cannabis pollen for long periods of time, according to a new study.

For marijuana cultivators, the results could prove useful, helping them avoid potentially costly mistakes in the process and ensuring consistency and quality in their crops across growing cycles.

Ensuring long-term storage of pollen is important for cultivators because of the central role it plays in generating seeds. Taking pollen from a male plant and rubbing it on the hairs of a female plant—typically about halfway through the flowering cycle—will enable the female plant to produce buds that contains seeds, which along with cloning is one way to propagate and maintain strains.

The study, which was partly funded by the Canadian government, has “several implications,” co-author Igor Kovalchuk told Marijuana Moment.

First, the team created an “assay to test viability of such pollen before the use for pollination.”

They accomplished that by modifying an existing method of assessing germination viability, using a liquid media instead of a solid medium, which “resulted in better image acquisition and quantification of germination,” according to the study.

Perhaps even more consequential for growers, however, is the development of a long-term storage system for cannabis pollen.

“We have provided an easy protocol for cryopreservation using desiccation combined with baked wheat flour and subsequent long-term storage of cannabis pollen in liquid nitrogen.”

“This one is big,” Kovalchuk said. “Our protocol allows nearly indefinite storage,” which is “valuable for maintaining large collection of genetics.”

To preserve the pollen, the researchers removed any moisture, added the result to baked whole wheat flour and preserving agents and then froze it in liquid nitrogen. When they removed the mixture from the liquid nitrogen and applied it to flowering female plants, it resulted in successful seed formation in all of the subjects.

“By using this method, we were able to maintain germination viability in liquid nitrogen after 4 months, suggesting potentially indefinite preservation of cannabis pollen.”

The team also discovered that pollen can be more or less viable at different stages of the flowering period. The optimal time to extract pollen seems to be during the mid-flowering stage. At that point, it retained “viability the longest with 22 percent of pollen grains successfully germinating after 21 days” of storage in a low-temperature environment.

“In conclusion, we have standardized a simple assay for quickly assessing pollen germination in Cannabis sativa,” the study states. “By using our [modified assay], we have demonstrated the loss of pollen viability over time when stored at 4 degrees Celsius, and suggested an optimal time during flower development for pollen collection to maximize longevity during storage.”

“Finally, we have provided an easy protocol for cryopreservation using desiccation combined with baked wheat flour and subsequent long-term storage of cannabis pollen in liquid nitrogen,” it concludes.

END

While not viable for the average grower, it was a great read.

And that's the majority of my knowledge and what I planned to do my attempt around.
Hope it helps and doesn't point anybody down the wrong path!

Thanks for the tag! I still have loads of catching up to do, but my go-to folks for pollen are @ChefDGreen and @beez0404. Not sure if either will see the tags, so I'll dug up a link for you from beez0404 here.

You can hold the plant over a clean sheet of paper or tin foil and tap it to release the pollen. Use a strainer to separate the pollen from the plant matter, and then transfer it into a sealed container (like a glass test tube with a cap if you have one), and add some white rice to absorb moisture. Most folks store theirs in the freezer though I found that created condensation, so I went with the fridge.

Pollen travels really easily on clothing, hands, hair, and the slightest breeze, so BE CAREFUL!

Agreed. I can tell what I've read, but it might be better to speak with someone who actually does pollination.

@InTheShed And @Icemud (sorry Icemud, I know we haven't interacted much, but I've seen some of your posts on breeding).

Both of them have collected and used pollen successfully and can give proper advice vs my guesses from reading. It's not that I don't want to answer, I'm just leery on giving advice that I haven't tested/tried for such a project.
Hey Rexor... Thanks for tagging me. Unfortunately I can't really give any good feedback to the OP question. Most of my pollination was "active" meaning that I grew the females and males at the same time (same flowering flip to 12/12 day) and when the males are ready I just give them a good shake and let the pollen fly in the tent with the females.

In terms of collecting it, I have been able to grow the males out until they produce pollen sacks, and I cut the branches off and gently put them in a plastic grocery bag with the top open to dry. Once they are done drying I use a ziplock bag and pinch my fingers around the branch and strip the pollen sacks into the ziplock bag. Quite a bit of pollen comes off into the ziplock and sticks to the sides of the bag, as well as collects in the bottom. Not ideal and I really don't get too much this way, but I have done it in the past.

As far as storing it though, I haven't had much luck or success and tried keeping it in the ziplocks for about 1-2 years, but when I tried to use it on a later project, I didn't have much luck of a successful pollination.

Most of my efforts have been with "live or active" pollen, where both male and females are grown together and open pollinated.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help on this, there probably is much more scientific ways of collecting and storing it, but unfortunately I have not gone very far down that research rabbit hole yet.

I also agree with @InTheShed to be VERY CAREFUL when working with pollen. It goes everywhere and is very hard to control where it goes and coats everything that it touches. Its like a extremely fine powder and a slight breeze or even vibration on the plant and it will "poof" everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom