Alaskan Purple In DWC & Super Soil

I so want that pic of the buds laid on the brown bag to spell something but I can't figure it out!

They look great GDP, and as long as the popcorn isn't getting overripe, the extra time under the lights can only improve them.
@InTheShed, if you figure out what it spells, let me know what strain you're smoking and that's what I will grow next! :Rasta:

Hey, Growers!

I had my Rusty Leaf plant out for maintenance today. Her colas are getting so heavy they're starting to all lean to the side. I will be taking her and the soil plant down in 2 days. The soil plant turned out completely different from the DWC plants. Its flowers are dark purple and its colas are thicker and harder than any produced by the water-based plants. Depending on how well it smokes, this soil plant could present me with a real quandary. I have invested heavily in hydro equipment, but I suspect this soil plant might blow the others out of the water, so to speak. I'll find out soon.

Here's Rusty:

P1020664.JPG

P1020665.JPG

Later!

10/24/19 (90)

What a grow!

Two of my Alaskan Purples are still kicking it at day 90, while
I took 2 of them down at day 73 and 76. All of these seeds were purchased
from the same source and they all turned out differently. Lots of fun!

When I took down the first two plants I left the popcorn stuff on and put
them back in the tent. Today I took the fluff off of the Zombie. Many of
the buds had firmed up nicely, and even those that were still a little
fluffy were trichy and sticky. I got another 5.4 oz wet from the Zombie
popcorn. Pics:

P1020671.JPG

P1020670.JPG

P1020672.JPG

With the exception of 2 buds, the popcorn on the "Plugging Away" plant has not progressed as well. Not
sure I'll get much more off of her.

The soil plant looks delicious and is really frosty, but I haven't spotted any
amber on her yet so I'm going to keep her going until I do.

The "Rusty Leaf" plant is blowing my mind! It's tall and has some really
firm colas. I'm starting to see traces of amber on her, but I'm going to be
patient because she seems to just want to grow and grow. I am going
to let her go. In fact, the next time I feed her I'm going to increase the nutes
to the manufacturer's full recommended strength (never done that before), just because
she seems to want it.

Soiler alert! My next grow probably will not be hydro. If you don't give a shit, I understand. :Rasta:

Later!

What are you thinking about growing in next?

All autos, Van Stank. I'm going out on a limb (for me) and trying to grow 3 different strains.
Already have these seeds in my seedventory!

1 Thin Mint Crack (Thin Mint Pheno of Girl Scout Cookies x Green Crack, THC 23%)
1 Sticky Fingers (Thin Mint Pheno of Girl Scout Cookies x Gorilla Glue, THC 20)
2 Candy Cream (Candy Cream x ruderalis strain, THC 18)
I know the seed banks' THC estimates are probably inflated, but I think these sound like nice chances.

I say "out on a limb" because I only have one light. So however these plants grow, tall or short, quickly or slowly,
the light will be at the same height from them all.

I might have to train the Thin Mint Crack more than the others because it might get pretty tall.

Picked up my super-soil for autoflowers today and will get the Fox Farms Happy Frog next week, so I'm pumped.

I am trying to take down my last 2 Alaskan Purples as soon as I can, but they just keeping pumping. Without showing much amber, they are getting frostier and frostier.

Rusty leaf is in beast mode. Her colas are leaning so much that I'm considering putting up my scrog net. But I think she's nearly done and don't feel like the hassle.

P1020684.JPG

The soil plant is a dark purple beauty, with firm and heavy colas.

P1020677.JPG

That was the "short" answer to your question, Van Stank. :Rasta:

Later!

What's up growers!

I took down a lot of the Rusty Leaf plant today! Like the last time, I left the popcorn on to see if they'll firm up.

About that popcorn move, I thought my other plant that I left the popcorn on wasn't going to do much. Silly me. A lightbulb went off one day and I realized the plant was a stump and way too far from the grow light which was set to full plant height. So I stacked a bunch of books under the bucket to raise it up. That worked, and now the buds are firming up. I love low-tech solutions! :p

Back to Rusty Leaf. From such a sad and scary start, she exploded into a monster plant. In my limited growing history, it's easily the biggest auto I've grown, almost 3 feet tall.

Just like an earlier plant, lots of amber trichs appeared on this plant overnight. One day they were barely there, the next day they were everywhere.

I got 435 grams wet from what I took off of her. I think I might get a third of that much from the popcorn.

Most of her colas were big and super sticky. Whoooooop!

P1020686.JPG

P1020693.JPG

P1020695.JPG

P1020699.JPG

The soil plant is now the only un-plucked plant in the tent. She is really pretty but still showing not a trace of amber.

As I've said before, I suspect this plant is going to be awesome! She's the reason why my next grow will be all soil. Can't wait to take her down! (too lazy to take a pic of her, been trimming all day).

Later!

Great looking cola there brother! Congrats on the harvest. I know I am biased but soil is tough to beat for quality, flavor and how long the highs last.
I hope to find out soon, Van Stank. My soil plant will be coming down soon, and I'll be able to do a comparison between a nice hydro-grow and soil-grow of the same strain.

I gotta mix up another 100 gallon of my soil this weekend. I have put it off far too long at this point
100 gallons! How many do you grow at a time?

Hmmmm......that depends. Right now I have 22 different strains going but I am only journaling 12 or so since thats my 'legal limit'. I think there are probably 30 plants total.

Hmmmm......that depends. Right now I have 22 different strains going but I am only journaling 12 or so since thats my 'legal limit'. I think there are probably 30 plants total.
Jeezy Peezy! That's quite a load. It's says a lot about you that you would take an interest in a puny grow like mine. Cool! :Rasta:

I love following the small growers. There is far more excitement in you guys growing a couple for your personal meds than in those that grow for commercial sale.....no real passion in my opinion.

Its amazing what you can learn from just watching others doing things in their little world. Keep doing to the great work man! I'll keep on :popcorn: :high-five::ganjamon:

I took down most of my soil plant today (left the popcorn on).

I forgot to take a pic of her before I took her down (tokin' again). She was kinda' small at 360g wet, but I think she's gonna make up for it in quality! She has some nice size buds and they are hard and sticky as can be.

So I'm about at the end of this grow. Once I'm done, I'm going to take few days off to clean up everything and then get right back to it.

I can't wait to try this soil-grown plant!

P1020703.JPG

P1020701.JPG

P1020704.JPG

Later!

Hello, growers.

Took the popcorn off Rusty Leaf on 11/4 and off of the soil plant today (11/7). Neither plant disappointed. The buds firmed up nicely, even though some them were a little small. They were a pain in the ass to trim, too. But I really don't have much else to do.

I forgot to take a pic of the Rusty popcorn, but here is the pop from the soil plant. I got another 156 g wet. Not much, I know, but before I knew better, I used to throw it away!

P1020707.JPG

P1020708.JPG

P1020709.JPG

So I'm gonna end this grow journal now. Thanks to anyone who cared to look in and a special thanks to those who offered helpful advice. I'll post a strain review when I can. And I will definitely comment on the differences I notice between the soil and the hydro.

I love this site!

Later!

Congrats on finishing off a successful grow brother. Please let us know if you start another journal or continue it here and we'll be sure to tag along.
Will do Van Stank. I plan on starting another journal within a week or 2. Thanks for sitting in! :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom