Blue Dream'matic Comparison Auto Grow Super Soil Vs Promix+ With LSD-25 Auto On The Side

Hey Rick, maybe im not reading your convo with mrs proper...but if u want to lower ur ph in your soil dont you just water with a lower ph than what is in your medium? If ur medium is around 7.2ph and you want it down to 6.xx then watering with ph for example 6.00 should balance the ph closer to 6 rather than 7.2?

Hey Rick, maybe im not reading your convo with mrs proper...but if u want to lower ur ph in your soil dont you just water with a lower ph than what is in your medium? If ur medium is around 7.2ph and you want it down to 6.xx then watering with ph for example 6.00 should balance the ph closer to 6 rather than 7.2?
Ms Proper needs to weigh in at this point because you all are not getting it at all. Your medium is set to a high pH on purpose... it DOES NOT NEED ADJUSTING. Soil is given this base pH near the upper end of the soil pH scale for a reason... it is so that you can water at 6.3 pH, at the bottom of the scale, and as the soil dries out it reverts back to its base pH, drifting the system through the entire usable pH range of 6.2-6.8, picking up each nutrient in its turn as it becomes the most mobile.
Just water at 6.3 pH, the point where mathematically the most nutrients are the most mobile, and let the soil do what it does... You don't need to adjust a thing. If they sold soil that needed to be "adjusted" to be used... why in the name of all that is good and green, would anyone buy it?

Ms Proper needs to weigh in at this point because you all are not getting it at all. Your medium is set to a high pH on purpose... it DOES NOT NEED ADJUSTING. Soil is given this base pH near the upper end of the soil pH scale for a reason... it is so that you can water at 6.3 pH, at the bottom of the scale, and as the soil dries out it reverts back to its base pH, drifting the system through the entire usable pH range of 6.2-6.8, picking up each nutrient in its turn as it becomes the most mobile.
Just water at 6.3 pH, the point where mathematically the most nutrients are the most mobile, and let the soil do what it does... You don't need to adjust a thing. If they sold soil that needed to be "adjusted" to be used... why in the name of all that is good and green, would anyone buy it?

@Emilya , Thank you so much for that, but looking at the state of my LSD plant and its continued deterioration. What do you suggest?? I love discussion about theoretical concepts, but I need a "rubber meets the road" solution.

So...PLEASE! Can someone suggest a solution?

@Emilya , Thank you so much for that, but looking at the state of my LSD plant and its continued deterioration. What do you suggest?? I love discussion about theoretical concepts, but I need a "rubber meets the road" solution.

So...PLEASE! Can someone suggest a solution?
It comes down to whether you trust the supersoil that you started with and wish to get back to that model, or if you want to give up the organic grow and go with MC. If you wish to go that route, I no longer wish to argue with other members about the correct way to use the stuff. I have written what I think in my own journals and I leave it to you to investigate what I found.

I think it is a shame to waste good supersoil. As you said, you know why it started failing... you were killing the microbes with some of your additives and although the Big Bloom was a good try to get some more microbes in there, it was not enough. You should have gone with the increase in vigor that you saw as a result of that application, and kept going with that train of thought, IMHO. My rubber meets the road solution to this is that everything you need is in that supersoil, and you can get active microbes in there doing their jobs in 48 hours with a good microbial infusion. Check out URB, Voodoo Juice or my favorite, RealGrower's Recharge. Expedite ship this to your garden NOW, give up all the other additives, and lets see what that soil can do.

I would love to do that if I only knew how. I’ve searched and can’t find any process to accomplish that.

Maybe that will help.

It comes down to whether you trust the supersoil that you started with and wish to get back to that model, or if you want to give up the organic grow and go with MC. If you wish to go that route, I no longer wish to argue with other members about the correct way to use the stuff. I have written what I think in my own journals and I leave it to you to investigate what I found.

I think it is a shame to waste good supersoil. As you said, you know why it started failing... you were killing the microbes with some of your additives and although the Big Bloom was a good try to get some more microbes in there, it was not enough. You should have gone with the increase in vigor that you saw as a result of that application, and kept going with that train of thought, IMHO. My rubber meets the road solution to this is that everything you need is in that supersoil, and you can get active microbes in there doing there jobs in 48 hours with a good microbial infusion. Check out URB, Voodoo Juice or my favorite, RealGrower's Recharge. Expedite ship this to your garden NOW, give up all the other additives, and lets see what that soil can do.

WAIT! I know this grow is confusing, but the ONLY plant in super soil is the taller Blue Dream'matic. The LSD-25 plant that is sick has always been in Pro Mix HP being fed Megacrop. It has gotten the exact same treatment as the shorter Blue dream that is also in Pro Mix HP and is by FAR the strongest plant of the three. The only difference is that I dropped the Calmag and silica (protekt) from the LSD when the consensus was that it was an excess rather than a deficiency.

Maybe that will help.

You guys have been so willing to help and I do really appreciate that, but I just read that article and it does nothing at all to suggest what to do with a media that is already at 7.2 to bring it down. I've actually read everything I can find on their site regarding pH. I've also watched the videos from their horticulturist about it, but none of them suggest what to do to change the pH of the media at mid grow.

I'm not complaining and I don't want to alienate anyone, but nobody has given a suggestion as to what to actually do. So, I just popped to Lowes (which was very busy givien the Covid-19 crap) and bought a bag of Epsoma Soil acidifier:

050197030069.jpg

and watered it in according to the directions. Now, this may be the worst thing to do, but everyone is giving me theoretical discussions with nothing to suggest what to actually to save this sick plant. So, I'll either kill it, help it or do nothing. At this point, I'm ok with either of the three. This is after all a learning experience and everyone's input is still helping me learn even if it does nothing to save my sad little plant.

I know different strains respond differently and have different needs, I just still don't understand why the same exact treatment of the two megarop plants has produced one that is by FAR the healthiest, strongest and densest flowers of any I have grown, while right next to it, this sad little LSD plant is dying.

AND!! @Emilya , I've never referred to you as Mrs Proper, but why does it take someone saying that for you to chime in. I've not criticized or been ungrateful to anyone who has offered advice, even if it turned out to not be the solution. Diagnosing a plant from pictures on the internet is dicey business anyway and I know it is my plant and ultimately my responsibility, but it seemed like your response came from a place of irritation. Certainly sorry if something I said caused that.

You guys have been so willing to help and I do really appreciate that, but I just read that article and it does nothing at all to suggest what to do with a media that is already at 7.2 to bring it down. I've actually read everything I can find on their site regarding pH. I've also watched the videos from their horticulturist about it, but none of them suggest what to do to change the pH of the media at mid grow.
Well I'm not sure what you're looking for then. The article gives suggestions on what to do.

In order to achieve this ideal pH, soil blenders must add limestone. The limestone is applied in a granular form of either dolomitic limestone, calcitic limestone or a combination of the two.

Dolomitic limestone dissolves slowly in the growing medium, resulting in longer term pH adjustment. Calcitic limestone, on the other hand, dissolves fairly quickly, resulting in faster initial pH adjustment, but it does not last as long as dolomitic limestone. Both types of limestone need moisture and a minimum amount of time to dissolve, and have an impact on the growing medium pH. As a general rule, it takes approximately seven days after the growing medium is watered in during planting before the limestone is activated and the pH stabilizes, reaching the intended pH.

Well I'm not sure what you're looking for then. The article gives suggestions on what to do.

In order to achieve this ideal pH, soil blenders must add limestone. The limestone is applied in a granular form of either dolomitic limestone, calcitic limestone or a combination of the two.

Dolomitic limestone dissolves slowly in the growing medium, resulting in longer term pH adjustment. Calcitic limestone, on the other hand, dissolves fairly quickly, resulting in faster initial pH adjustment, but it does not last as long as dolomitic limestone. Both types of limestone need moisture and a minimum amount of time to dissolve, and have an impact on the growing medium pH. As a general rule, it takes approximately seven days after the growing medium is watered in during planting before the limestone is activated and the pH stabilizes, reaching the intended pH.

I guess since I had added dolomite lime previously (a week or two ago) and was told that was wrong and to flush the plant out I glossed over the lime discussion. When I did that before, it seemed to make the plant sicker and I believe it was @InTheShed who said to flush it out. Doesn't it also say that it will raise pH and what I want to do is lower it?

I guess since I had added dolomite lime previously (a week or two ago) and was told that was wrong and to flush the plant out I glossed over the lime discussion. When I did that before, it seemed to make the plant sicker and I believe it was @InTheShed who said to flush it out. Doesn't it also say that it will raise pH and what I want to do is lower it?
It will raise it yes, but I should have elaborated as I wasn't clear. The lime will stabilize the pH. If you add the acidifier that should do the trick to bring the pH down. But you'll have to do the slurry test to make sure you don't go too far after the acidifier does it's thing. The lime will stabilize things. I have a feeling the well water you use may be high in akalinity and for whatever reason the Promix has seen an increase in pH.
My apologies for the confusing info.

WAIT! I know this grow is confusing, but the ONLY plant in super soil is the taller Blue Dream'matic. The LSD-25 plant that is sick has always been in Pro Mix HP being fed Megacrop. It has gotten the exact same treatment as the shorter Blue dream that is also in Pro Mix HP and is by FAR the strongest plant of the three. The only difference is that I dropped the Calmag and silica (protekt) from the LSD when the consensus was that it was an excess rather than a deficiency.
Sorry... yes I did get confused trying to speed read through your journal to catch up. Sorry again, but I no longer have any passion to argue about how to use a product that has refused to support this forum. Since some folks seem to live for a need to insult others and wink about it as if it is ok, and then edit out their comment after I remark about it, even when all I did was make a simple mistake after being called in to help, I find that I no longer have any passion for that sort of high school interplay that is harming relationships on this forum. Sorry I was no help here other than to ask you to read what I learned about MC in my journal, but that is all I can do and still keep to a level of decorum that I wish to try to maintain.

AND!! @Emilya , I've never referred to you as Mrs Proper, but why does it take someone saying that for you to chime in. I've not criticized or been ungrateful to anyone who has offered advice, even if it turned out to not be the solution. Diagnosing a plant from pictures on the internet is dicey business anyway and I know it is my plant and ultimately my responsibility, but it seemed like your response came from a place of irritation. Certainly sorry if something I said caused that.

Lately Rick, I have been called the Watering Queen, Ms Proper... all sorts of things, and depending on the context I can take these epitaphs as compliment or insult... it just depends. Its not that my life ebbs and flows on what people think and say about me, but comments both good and bad do affect a person's reputation, and I value mine. I know people love me and hate me and that my in your face directness upsets a lot of folks who just want to be mellow, but I am who I am and my thoughts and feelings on lots of things are out there for people to see. But anyway...
That did goad me into commenting on a thread that I was avoiding comment on, because every time I have come in contact with a few of the participants here, the conversations have gone sideways. So yes, I was holding my virtual tongue, until that silliness of the adjusting the pH of soil came up, and in my quick reading I thought we were talking about adjusting the supersoil. Sorry again... common mistake, especially among stoners. So no, it wasn't irritation at you, it was at the conversations I have had over the last several months leading into this one that have given me some reluctance even try around some of these guys when they are in charge.

Carry on, and best of luck to you. Please do some more reading. ;)

Since you got the acidifier it may be all you need at this point. Put it in as directed, forget the lime, and go from there :thumb:

We shall see! As I said, I've come to terms with the fact that this plant may or may not make it and I already think that if it does, it's yield won't be what it could be. So anyway, that's the direction I've taken and as always, thanks to you and everyone else who has chimed in. I appreciate it all and will do my best to be Switzerland and not get drawn into any conflicts. That is one of the things I like about this site is that it seems to have much less of that compared to other sites, although clearly there is some.

Everyone stay safe out there and happy growing!

You as well!

Doing my best. I'm trying to keep my practice open. I can't afford to close it but I am hands on patients (what few are left due to the panic) all day long. So far, only one positive in my county of 250K+ people and we're taking precautions, so I think I'm ok unless they force me to close.

I'm still curious as what the untouched bag of ProMix comes out to if you have a chance to slurry test that.
I believe it came in at 6.1.

I think the soil acidifier is definitely worth a shot at this point. I'm still curious as what the untouched bag of ProMix comes out to if you have a chance to slurry test that. Might be a good idea to test it after a few hours, and then let it sit for 4 days and test it again when the lime has dissolved.

:goodluck:

yep, it was 6.1. Still baffled as to why the mix in the LSD plant got so high. Poor girl looks pitiful, but she’s giving what energy she can to flowers. They still look relatively ok.

Back
Top Bottom