Blue Dream'matic Comparison Auto Grow Super Soil Vs Promix+ With LSD-25 Auto On The Side

Ive yet to pull those numbers! Awesome!

Well I may be getting ahead of myself. That was two plants and these three seem to be creating as many or more flowers as those were. Or at least the Blue Dream'matics are. The LSD is still a funky girl. I'll get some from her and she could still surprise me, but I don't think she'll produce as much as the Blues. We'll see. As I said, I still need to get to the end without screwing it up. ;)

I know I'm being impatient, but this LSD plant has me worried. The Blue in Super Soil doesn't look any better (too soon I know) but the LSD plant looks worse. More yellow leaves with rusty brown spots that seem to start at the base of the leaf and only on the middle to upper leaves. I don't know if I should flush again when she's ready for feed or just feed with just megacrop or what. It will be tomorrow or Monday before she's dry anyway so I'll have to be patient. I'm going to post another pic in case someone looks in and has an idea:

LSD-25 in Pro Mix HP fed with Megacrop sick leaves:

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

Holy cow that was a long haul of a read for me !!! What an interesting journal I learned alot ! Do you like the super soil more then the pro mix? Seems less issue for you with super soil ? I love how you successfully corrected so many issues so quickly . Awesome journal Hell yeah brother!

Thank you for that! I really appreciate the compliment. I do admit I am stumped with this LSD plant. I'm hoping Sauga will check back in and let me know what he thinks of my slurry test.

Hard to answer which I like best. Until this past week I would have said the Super Soil was the easiest, but then I started getting the calcium deficiency. I'm hoping the calmag I'm using will resolve that. If it does and I can get the plant to a good harvest then I'm going to recommend it strongly for beginners such as myself. The megacrop on the other hand has tested my limited experience and I would be lost without everyone's help here. That said, when I got it right for the Blue Dream plant, it has really come on strong. However, I'm obviously not getting it right for the LSD plant, so stay tuned to see if I can sort it out with everyone's help.

lurry test shows the soil is at pH 7.2.
Basically it means your running a high pH soil. You want something around 6.0-6.5 with a buffering agent in it. I have a feeling by mixing the two soils you've upset the balance a bit causing a caustic type medium. If you are using well, tap or other water that has a high akalinity in it then this will cause the pH to rise in the medium as well.
The only way to correct that would be adding something like spagnum peat to drop it down a bit.
Here's a quick article to read:

Basically it means your running a high pH soil. You want something around 6.0-6.5 with a buffering agent in it. I have a feeling by mixing the two soils you've upset the balance a bit causing a caustic type medium. If you are using well, tap or other water that has a high akalinity in it then this will cause the pH to rise in the medium as well.
The only way to correct that would be adding something like spagnum peat to drop it down a bit.
Here's a quick article to read:

Thanks for the reply. My soil is straight Pro Mix HP. The only mixed soil is the super soil Blue Dream. My well water is acidic. pH of 5.7 and has low dissolved particles. How would I go about adding the peat? I can't mix it in at this point can I?

My soil is straight Pro Mix HP
OK, so let's call that soilless since that confused me. Promix HP should have a pH of 5.6 or 5.8 coming out of the bag and has buffers in it to balance the nute pH to the correct level. Yours is well out of spec now and maybe @InTheShed would have some advice as he grows in the HP.

Thanks for the reply. My soil is straight Pro Mix HP. The only mixed soil is the super soil Blue Dream. My well water is acidic. pH of 5.7 and has low dissolved particles. How would I go about adding the peat? I can't mix it in at this point can I?

Theres a thread on promix not needing ph adjustment...My tap water is 8.2 and with MC brings it down to 6.5avg so i dont hsve to ph anyway. But early on in veg i dont use as much mc and so i do ph....for my own comfort, despite the article. So ph in promix i dont think is ur issue? The potm will chime in :)

At this point, I'm baffled at how I could have raised the pH of the promix that much. Especially after I did that flush at @InTheShed recommendation and ran 13 gallons of pH5.7 well water through it. I have half the remaining bale of promix sitting in my screened in porch. I may do a slurry test on some of that to see if I got an alkaline batch of promix.

and ran 13 gallons of pH5.7 well water through it
The pH of the water doesn't effect the pH of the medium. The akalinity of the water directly affects the pH of the medium. The higher the water akalinity the faster the pH rises. Buffers are added to the medium to get the pH in the correct range for the medium, such as dolomitic lime.

ProMix does take about 4-7 days of being wet for the buffers to kick in, if that helps here. I would turn the fans on high and try to dry it out as quickly as possible and then bump the MC to 6.0. But if the ProMix is really 7.2 it's going to be hard to work with it as is.

Just to make sure, you did the slurry test with distilled water, yes?

Yes, distilled water from walmart. I didn't check the pH of the distilled water first. Is it meant to be completely neutral 7.0?

"The pH of distilled water immediately after distillation is 7, but within hours after distillation, it has absorbed carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and become acidic with a pH of 5.8. "
Source

I'm curious what it is straight out of the bag.
I just recalibrated my Apera pH meter and checked the pH of the Walmart distilled water straight out of the jug and it was 5.9. I checked another jug and got 6.0. I think the consensus seems to be to just feed this one megacrop alone and hope she pulls through. I’m open to other suggestions and thank you all for your help.

I'd start there, but do slurry test the stuff in the bag just for confirmation.

@InTheShed , I did the slurry test on the Pro Mix in the bag and got 6.1 pH. I wish I knew how the Promix got to 7.2 on what I was feeding it. I haven't tested the soil in the Blue dream planter since she is looking fantastic at the moment. Perhaps I should since it was getting pretty much the exact same feedings as the LSD plant.

Day 41:

Good news: Blue Dream'matic in ProMix with Megacrop is packing on the weight on her 7 colas. Not many additional flower sites, but the ones she has are going to be big. Blue Dream'matic in Super Soil seems to have stopped her cal/mag problems and since I've been adding full strength organic calmag I don't think there has been any more spotting on the leaves. I didn't cut off the bad leaves because they were still mostly green so I hope they are still absorbing energy from the lights for the plant. Her flowers are less mature than her sister in ProMix, but there are lots and lots of flower sites. About the only good news on the LSD plant is that she's not dead. She has some new growth that is fully green. It is lower down on the plant, so I hope the taller colas can put on enough weight to give a good harvest. I am hoping that the nice green lower growth is a sign that we are past the worst of it. So at this point, Blue Dream'matic in Super Soil is getting RO water with organic calmag every feeding. Blue Dream'matic in ProMix is still getting 6g MC, 5ml each of cal/mag and ProTekt mixed into my well water. LSD plant is getting 6g megacrop each feeding with well water. All three plants have been lowered to the ground to accommodate their vertical growth. I'm about out of room to raise my lights.

Blue Dream'matic in Super Soil:
IMG_0924.jpg

Blue Dream'matic in ProMix with Megacrop. Putting on weight!

IMG_0925.jpg

LSD-25 in ProMix looking a bit sad, but still stretching and making flower:

IMG_0926.jpg

Here she is from the top. You can see all the sick leaves, but you can also see a lot of healthy looking sites on the sides and down low.

IMG_0927.jpg

I'm hoping she makes it and produces at least a couple of ounces of decent bud, but we'll see.

Happy Growing all!

Back
Top Bottom