Are these 37 day old plants looking healthy?

I saw that..im super nervous to burn the babies. Should I follow the recommended distance? I'm not sure if I'd recognize light stress
Pretty hard to burn plants with leds compared to old style . I've had plants grow into the lights before it Burned the leaf

Watch for leaves cupping if to close . Plant not Praying ( leaves point up to lights )

Welcome to the Forum! They look OK but a little small/leggy for 5 weeks old. Judging from the slight yellowing of the leaves, I think you need to start giving them some grow nutes. Light, IMHO, is your issue, that's not much light for those plants, you want to try and shoot for about 30-35 watts/per sq ft with LED's.

I think Nivek is spot on to point out the 3 bladed fans, but imho 37 days it’s way too young to be a reveg… definitely could be genetics or possibly photoperiod stress.

Are you using a timer? Or manually changing the lights? Hollar back on this one

but the biggest issue is the stretch, and perhaps topping a bit early…

low wattage or light spacing caused the stretch and doing soil only with no added nutrients hasn’t pumped up the volume but that’s ok too… we‘ll get you tuned up.

All things considered it looks beyond fantastic… goodness knows I killed many beans early on.

welcome aboard zenquest

I may be completely wrong and totally confused. I knew I came to the right place. The plants are 37 days old from seed so they are in veg stage with an 18 on 6 off cycle. 😳 Am I doing it wrong? I thought they do that in veg until I flip to a 12/12 which is then the flower stage
Your doing if fine!!
The problem is your light is not powerful enough and the plants are scrawny because of it!!
Everything else you have mentioned is fine!!
The light is barely powerful enough to veg there is nowhere near enough to flower 4 plants!

look at the leaves,, three blades on the leaves,, not a good sign,, usually a sign of a reveg in progress,, for whatever reason,,

a lighting time issue perhaps

anyway,, there is a reason those leaves are growing that way

karma sent friend

and, yes,, they are spindly as well
I agree that's looking revege,you should be supercroping under 24 hour light first 6 weeks,photo or auto same way,just my opinion

plant is just 37 days old OP says its been on 18/6, reveg would be showing single bladed fans…

very leggy gal, slowed down by topping & upcan and I’m thinking too much light distance combined with low wattage has contributed to photoperiod stress.… shes starving but in a different way… normally it means feed her with nutes…

but what is food for a plant? Food = photons…GIMME MO LIGHT… in one manner of thinking nutes are vitamin pills. think she just got off to slow start, not enough light to trigger growth, no nutes didnt help.

still curious to hear if lights are done manual or by timer

does Zen have fans moving air? air movement strengthens stems

I agree that's looking revege,you should be supercroping under 24 hour light first 6 weeks,photo or auto same way,just my opinion
Welcome to the forum. I don’t know how it can re-veg when it was never in flower? The op didn’t say if they’re clones or from seed, but I don’t see any sign it started to flower. Caveat, I’ve got old eyes so maybe I missed it.

I think Nivek is spot on to point out the 3 bladed fans, but imho 37 days it’s way too young to be a reveg… definitely could be genetics or possibly photoperiod stress.

Are you using a timer? Or manually changing the lights? Hollar back on this one

but the biggest issue is the stretch, and perhaps topping a bit early…

low wattage or light spacing caused the stretch and doing soil only with no added nutrients hasn’t pumped up the volume but that’s ok too… we‘ll get you tuned up.

All things considered it looks beyond fantastic… goodness knows I killed many beans early on.

welcome aboard zenquest
I feel I struggled a bit the first few weeks with light,temp,and humidity. I don't have a grow tent..my babies are in a spare room with makeshift mylar padding all around. It took me a few trys to get everything to stay at a constant comfortable heat and humidity level. That very well may have caused the stress resulting in 3 point fan leaves. I examined them well and some of the fan leaves have 5 points so maybe it's on the mend. I topped early because of the stretch..I thought I'd start early to allow for a more even canopy and allow to to bush out a bit. Im in ocean forest soil for a little over a week..I didn't add nutes since a lot of reports say it has all it needs for the first 30 days or so. I'm on an automatic timer for my lights and heat..but the humidity has its challenges since I'm in a wide open room. 🙃 I've managed to FINALLY get all things (heat..humidity..and fan) to a constant comfortable spot. I've lowered the light to the manufacturers recommended height a few hours ago and they look a little happier. Do you think introducing nutes in the ocean forest one week in soil would be okay?

The probably won't need too much until you get more light and or drop yours down some. Like the others said plants look great. The 3 leaf is a result of genetics and lack of light. Some strains just grow those type leaves. I know. I just finished one. Almost like the old "duck foot" variety.

If you just transacted you should be able to go a watering or 2 before needing nutes. Typically that soul has a lil juice (nutritional value) and doesn't require feeding right away. When you do start super slow and ease into it. Lots of those manufacturers recommend dosages can OD your plant on Nutes.

Good luck.

Your doing if fine!!
The problem is your light is not powerful enough and the plants are scrawny because of it!!
Everything else you have mentioned is fine!!
The light is barely powerful enough to veg there is nowhere near enough to flower 4 plants!
I definitely need to invest in a much stronger light. Very soon I'm sure. Here's a photo of my first grow. I had 4 plants under the same light..just the one. It was an experiment to see what would happen with the bare minimum. I came off with around 3 ounces..not great..but not bad for the light conditions.

20220811_074212.jpg

20220811_074224.jpg

20220811_074236.jpg

20220817_174438.jpg

20220921_121300.jpg

20220921_121225.jpg

20220926_143548.jpg

Welcome to the forum. I don’t know how it can re-veg when it was never in flower? The op didn’t say if they’re clones or from seed, but I don’t see any sign it started to flower. Caveat, I’ve got old eyes so maybe I missed it.
Hello there ..these are seeds so you are right..they have never flowered. I am on a timer but I'm gathering I need much more light. I have air circulation with fans..but not a good exhaust system 😕

I know, there’s so much to getting parameters right. Since recent upcan to ocean forest you should be good for another week or three. The big thing now is to maintain proper wet dry cycle. Think I’d hold off on nutes for a bit until you see how she responds to upcan and reevaluate from there. Maybe wait another wet dry cycle or 2 before dropping nutes

It’s frustrating because you want them to grow but don’t want to burn them with lights or nutes. You will get more comfortable with nutes & light spacing after completing a few indoor grows but for now you are doing stellar

Hello there ..these are seeds so you are right..they have never flowered. I am on a timer but I'm gathering I need much more light. I have air circulation with fans..but not a good exhaust system 😕

everyone starts somewhere. they are ok save for light. if you're going indoor you're gonna need a led light pulling a true 200 - 250w or so for 4 plants in veg. about 400 - 500 in flower. it'll drive everything else.

I know, there’s so much to getting parameters right. Since recent upcan to ocean forest you should be good for another week or three. The big thing now is to maintain proper wet dry cycle. Think I’d hold off on nutes for a bit until you see how she responds to upcan and reevaluate from there. Maybe wait another wet dry cycle or 2 before dropping nutes

It’s frustrating because you want them to grow but don’t want to burn them with lights or nutes. You will get more comfortable with nutes & light spacing after completing a few indoor grows but for now you are doing stellar
I really appreciate the knowledge..experience and advice. I made it a point to start with the bare minimum so I can learn and grow with each grow cycle. I will likely start some new seeds in a month or two and hopefully I will have some better lighting by then. I will wait on the nutes for now and watch them carefully. By my 2nd wet/dry cycle..I may be ready to put them in their 5 gal pots..which will include new/additional soil which will likely feed them again on its own a bit. Any suggestions on nute brand?

I really appreciate the knowledge..experience and advice. I made it a point to start with the bare minimum so I can learn and grow with each grow cycle. I will likely start some new seeds in a month or two and hopefully I will have some better lighting by then. I will wait on the nutes for now and watch them carefully. By my 2nd wet/dry cycle..I may be ready to put them in their 5 gal pots..which will include new/additional soil which will likely feed them again on its own a bit. Any suggestions on nute brand?

nutes will depend a little bit on media and how you choose to grow. lighting can be a minefield for new folk and will depend on number of plants, grow area, and whether you need to veg and flower under the same light. stick with led.

there's a lot of good choices for both out there. best advice is read up here and have a serious look through our sponsors. you can often get good advice here on them and get a break on pricing through the board.

Nutes are designed to deliver 18 chemicals to plants. Some sets of nutes come in lots of bottles, some are dry nutes in bags. Different manufacturer's have their own "recipes" of the ratios of those chemicals but there's no magic. It's all the same 18 chemicals.

You can also buy "supplements" which are magic elixirs are even more expensive than the big bottles. On the advice of a grower here, I bought a supplement last year called "Z7 Enzyme Cleaner". Hah! A complete waste of money and another set of chemicals that went in the trash. Should have bought a decent bottle of wine, instead.

I used the "expert" line of Fox Farms and then switched to Botanicare Kind nutrients. Lotsa bottles. Very pretty. And 18 chemicals.

Half way through my third grow, one of the nutrients could no longer be sold here in the People's Republic of California so a grower here on 420 very kindly pointed me in the direction of dry nutes. I spent a little over $100 and have enough nutes to last for years. I had to provide my own bottles and that's fine because all they need to do is hold water that has…18 chemicals. :)

My advice - go to dry nutes and spend the money that you saved (and more) on a decent light.

Check out the first PPFD map on this page, entitled "1xHLG 65" under the "Distance to sensor 12". When your plant is 12" from the light, the reading at the center is 480µmols/m2/s ("micro moles per square meter per second" - I just use the abbreviation "µmols").

That tells you how many photons (light "particles") are falling in a square meter. That's similar to how you would measure rainfall, right?

In the direct center of the light, at 12", your light is generating a PPFD of 480µmols which is a hair over ½ the photons that you should/could run in flower. At the edges of the light, the PPFD is 200µmols. That's middle of the road for seedlings.

At those light levels, your plant will be leggy, with significant internodal space (that's the vertical distance between adjacent nodes) so colas will not stack, yield will be low compared to the amount of stems and roots, and the buds will be airy. In a phrase the plant "quality" will be low.

If you drop the light to 6", you will get more light on the plant but, lacking a way of knowing your PPFD, you'll need to keep an eye on the top leaves. Symptoms of too much light are that leaves will curl ("tacoing" or "canoeing") or will rotate around the stem so as to turn sideways to the light. LED's cannot "burn" a leaf because they don't heat up the plants the way gas discharge lights do.

Another option is get another light and get a lux meter. There are an amazing number of lights that will do a decent job on a small grow space and they're very reasonably priced. A lux meter ($35) would be helpful but, in most cases, the manufacturer's recommendations will do well for you.

First step, though, drop the light closer to your plant. Your plant is very hungry.

Back
Top Bottom