Ask Us Anything: Sharing Knowledge 420 Style

I agree living soil is very complex and there's truly a lot more to learn and understand...you're right you should look into everything you decide to put in your soil as well, the thing is though, there's been so many that have already done this, so using a broadly accepted mix such as CC's mix gives you a base starting point that already has so much of that testing put into it and is all readily available, no need for testing yourself per say..

As for synthetic vs organic nutrients..there is differences, pretty large ones at that too...take N, it can be taken up by a plant as NO3- or NH4+(I think)....in LOS the plant will "control" which form it wants more of and have the micro-herd supply that form, whereas using synthetics you can't rely on the micro-herd cause you've killed it off...the entire delivery system between synthetics and organic is completely different, easy to think of like this...in a real organic grow(living soil) you're feeding the microherd and the plant takes what it wants, in a synthetic grow you're feeding the plant

Not quite sure what you mean about being sustainable indoors....my idea of sustainability is relying less and less on outside resources(so food/nutrition etc..) and being able to provide everything for yourself...so those plants you cut down, compost & reuse them etc...supplying everything you need yourself & not letting anything go to waste(not that this is my aim, just my understanding of being sustainable, obviously electricity and some things need to be sourced from elsewhere for now), so with this understanding I don't get how Hydro would ever be considered "sustainable" vs Soil..perhaps you mean something else though

Cultivator...not trying to switch you over to Soil here lol...you posted in an organic grow journal last week that I follow closely and said something that stuck out...."Too be fair im a huge believer in beneficials. I used to run sterile res for a long time but ive been running live res in my hydro grows for past 4 years or so and there is no way id go back to sterile. The difference in quality alone is more than worth it."

If you feel that way, than think of it from an organic soil growers perspective, in hydro you only get a mere handful of the bennies that get utilized in a LOS, if you couldn't go back to living without the use of those bennies, imagine from a LOS growers perspective having to give up all the bennies they use that don't survive in hydro

I get that the average soil grower doesn't have the slightest clue about this stuff(myself I've only began to learn about all this), but I'd argue that's the average grower them self, that it doesn't pertain to soil vs hydro...the only difference being that anyone can pick up some dirt, plant a seed in it and call themselves a soil grower, whereas if you choose to do hydro, you must at least do some research into it so are more likely to have some knowledge of what they're doing. :Namaste:
The biggest difference between hydro/coco and Living soil imo is with hydro/coco the gardener has some say in the finished product (for better or for worse) whereas Living soil allows the plant to be dictated by its genetics so to grow hydro and succeed can be said to be easier but to grow hydro and know how to feed a plant to achieve its true genetic potential like Living Soil allows is a far harder task requiring far deeper knowledge than Living Soil. If you know how to manage Living Soil you dont need to know much about plants at all to get a stellar finished product. I am a Living Soil guy. Im new to growing weed but Ive grown with fungii and microbes my whole life. I like to let plants grow to whatever they want and just supply them with good soil. The plants, of any kind, not just weed, never cease to amaze me. And I agree... theres alot of tried, tested, and true soil recipes available. They are all different but after the fungii and microbes are done with the recipes the banquet they create for the plants are almost all the same.

All that being said...... I love watching the hydro/coco Mad Scientists do their thing. Its pretty cool to mould your own plant too.

Just dont mix styles or you will have all sorts of problems. Grow it all! Its a hobby!! Do it the way that really interests you.

PS.... I see alot of LOS growers talking about microbes,microbes, and more microbes. Pay attention to fungii folks its exactly 50% of the equation. Fungii moves the nutrients that the microbes make and it literally talks to your roots taking orders for what nutrients your plant needs. Fungii will set up numerous microbe colonies each producing different nutrients and have the whole buffet waiting for your plant to ask for something. If your ph is constantly to high your overloaded on microbes and not enough fungii. PH to low and vica-versa if your soil was built properly thru one of the proven recipes.

Well said gee :thumb:

I think most growers refer to microbes as in a group....including fungi, bacteria, protozoa, nematodes etc..instead of specifying bacteria or fungi....but yes, can never forget about our fungi friends :Namaste:

I agree living soil is very complex and there's truly a lot more to learn and understand...you're right you should look into everything you decide to put in your soil as well, the thing is though, there's been so many that have already done this, so using a broadly accepted mix such as CC's mix gives you a base starting point that already has so much of that testing put into it and is all readily available, no need for testing yourself per say..

As for synthetic vs organic nutrients..there is differences, pretty large ones at that too...take N, it can be taken up by a plant as NO3- or NH4+(I think)....in LOS the plant will "control" which form it wants more of and have the micro-herd supply that form, whereas using synthetics you can't rely on the micro-herd cause you've killed it off...the entire delivery system between synthetics and organic is completely different, easy to think of like this...in a real organic grow(living soil) you're feeding the microherd and the plant takes what it wants, in a synthetic grow you're feeding the plant

Not quite sure what you mean about being sustainable indoors....my idea of sustainability is relying less and less on outside resources(so food/nutrition etc..) and being able to provide everything for yourself...so those plants you cut down, compost & reuse them etc...supplying everything you need yourself & not letting anything go to waste(not that this is my aim, just my understanding of being sustainable, obviously electricity and some things need to be sourced from elsewhere for now), so with this understanding I don't get how Hydro would ever be considered "sustainable" vs Soil..perhaps you mean something else though

Cultivator...not trying to switch you over to Soil here lol...you posted in an organic grow journal last week that I follow closely and said something that stuck out...."Too be fair im a huge believer in beneficials. I used to run sterile res for a long time but ive been running live res in my hydro grows for past 4 years or so and there is no way id go back to sterile. The difference in quality alone is more than worth it."

If you feel that way, than think of it from an organic soil growers perspective, in hydro you only get a mere handful of the bennies that get utilized in a LOS, if you couldn't go back to living without the use of those bennies, imagine from a LOS growers perspective having to give up all the bennies they use that don't survive in hydro

I get that the average soil grower doesn't have the slightest clue about this stuff(myself I've only began to learn about all this), but I'd argue that's the average grower them self, that it doesn't pertain to soil vs hydro...the only difference being that anyone can pick up some dirt, plant a seed in it and call themselves a soil grower, whereas if you choose to do hydro, you must at least do some research into it so are more likely to have some knowledge of what they're doing. :Namaste:
Sustainability means that growing in the same medium different plants over and over you will see a decline with synthetic fert. When growing. The point is we are not using our medium over and over in a indoor setting.. at least I wouldn't. I said we don't need sustainability indoors.

Even the man who invented synthetic fert said it was a mistake after viewing his outdoor garden towards the end of his studies. Organic is a beautiful thing, I'm working on homemade teas now. Especially with my worms.

Organic will maintain soil texture and nutrients.

As for the nitrogen comparison I'm going to research it thoroughly and get back to you on pm. I'm not one to leave unanswered questions and everything I've read about synthetic is it's the same (to the plant) except when readily available. Organic is over time, synthetic is instant.

Where did you find this reading material?

Let's find the answers together!

The biggest difference between hydro/coco and Living soil imo is with hydro/coco the gardener has some say in the finished product (for better or for worse) whereas Living soil allows the plant to be dictated by its genetics so to grow hydro and succeed can be said to be easier but to grow hydro and know how to feed a plant to achieve its true genetic potential like Living Soil allows is a far harder task requiring far deeper knowledge than Living Soil. If you know how to manage Living Soil you dont need to know much about plants at all to get a stellar finished product.

Can you guys give sources for your reserch, i will if requested. I want clarity, everyone keeps saying all this stuff, mine comes off the shoulders of others that are published. I can site my sources down to a page number.

I'm all for living soil minus the not reading t3aming with microbes on my desk. The first things I grew were mushrooms in bulk so I'm all about fungi, bacteria and the like

I'm not being combative I just want truth. And BOOKS I love books haha

The biggest difference between hydro/coco and Living soil imo is with hydro/coco the gardener has some say in the finished product (for better or for worse) whereas Living soil allows the plant to be dictated by its genetics so to grow hydro and succeed can be said to be easier but to grow hydro and know how to feed a plant to achieve its true genetic potential like Living Soil allows is a far harder task requiring far deeper knowledge than Living Soil. If you know how to manage Living Soil you dont need to know much about plants at all to get a stellar finished product.

Can you guys give sources for your reserch, i will if requested. I want clarity, everyone keeps saying all this stuff, mine comes off the shoulders of others that are published. I can site my sources down to a page number.

I'm all for living soil minus the not reading t3aming with microbes on my desk. The first things I grew were mushrooms in bulk so I'm all about fungi, bacteria and the like

I'm not being combative I just want truth. And BOOKS I love books haha
teaming with microbes is a great read. So is teaming with fungii

you should read nutrients last. microbes then fungii then nutrients is the best order to learn from. Then when you read something like True Living Organics by The Rev you can see why he reiterates over and over to not use this and that, and you must do this or that. If you read all 3 books, then read them a 2nd time it will give you some really good basics that apply to Living Soil. Also some good plant biology. They are really dry reads no denying that but great starting points so other Living Soil books make far more sense and you will have a better understanding of why you shouldnt really mix growing styles. They will give you enough basics that learning more becomes alot easier. Also when someone suggests something to try you will immediately understand if it should or should not be tried on Living Soil and that will save you a ton of headaches.

you should read nutrients last. microbes then fungii then nutrients is the best order to learn from. Then when you read something like True Living Organics by The Rev you can see why he reiterates over and over to not use this and that, and you must do this or that. If you read all 3 books, then read them a 2nd time it will give you some really good basics that apply to Living Soil. Also some good plant biology. They are really dry reads no denying that but great starting points so other Living Soil books make far more sense and you will have a better understanding of why you shouldnt really mix growing styles. They will give you enough basics that learning more becomes alot easier. Also when someone suggests something to try you will immediately understand if it should or should not be tried on Living Soil and that will save you a ton of headaches.

I see, i couldn't count all the soil books read on my fingers, I'll add the toes soon enough haha people would shit themselves if they saw my library checkout list

Question for cult or anyone with experience. I'm growing in coco using AN and going by the feeding schedule cult produced for us newbs very nicely. I am using two 315w MH lights for veg and two 1000w gavida lights for flower. How many plants should I try to fit under each light and do I have Enough light to veg? Also should I go with a SCROG or grow bigger bushy plants what would be the better method for as much lighting as I have. Veg room is 10x15x8 and flower room is 12x12x12.

7664e9a435eeccd02c0533a3b731cea7.jpg
7031f65690e8a3f39b2664d6582e745c.jpg

Can someone plz help me what is going on with my girls man

Question for cult or anyone with experience. I’m growing in coco using AN and going by the feeding schedule cult produced for us newbs very nicely. I am using two 315w MH lights for veg and two 1000w gavida lights for flower. How many plants should I try to fit under each light and do I have Enough light to veg? Also should I go with a SCROG or grow bigger bushy plants what would be the better method for as much lighting as I have. Veg room is 10x15x8 and flower room is 12x12x12.

So im taking it you havent put any plants in yet? Its an open question until i know a few more specifics of what you want to achieve. Are you wanting bigger bushy plants and veg a bit longer or are you wanting lots of littles plants with little veg time?

Personally id probs go 8 or 12 plants in 22litre or bigger pots and hand feed or run drip line. I have 40 liberty haze slow veggong under 400w of hps so so 630w of mh is plenty enough to get you started.

Sustainability means that growing in the same medium different plants over and over you will see a decline with synthetic fert. When growing. The point is we are not using our medium over and over in a indoor setting.. at least I wouldn't. I said we don't need sustainability indoors.

Even the man who invented synthetic fert said it was a mistake after viewing his outdoor garden towards the end of his studies. Organic is a beautiful thing, I'm working on homemade teas now. Especially with my worms.

Organic will maintain soil texture and nutrients.

As for the nitrogen comparison I'm going to research it thoroughly and get back to you on pm. I'm not one to leave unanswered questions and everything I've read about synthetic is it's the same (to the plant) except when readily available. Organic is over time, synthetic is instant.

Where did you find this reading material?

Let's find the answers together!

Sorry I got 2 things mixed up....the plant doesn't "control" what type of N is available...it can be taken up as 2 forms, ammonium or nitrate, some plants prefer one some the other...the type that's available in your soil is based on the microbe population...fungi provide ammonium, bacteria nitrate...most synthetic ferts are nitrate(which I believe is what cannabis prefers anyways)

Sustainability I get what you mean now . but I would argue that indoor sustainability is viable(for the most part)...I follow a journal on these forums where the member reuses his mix 6+ times then recycles it fully...amazing journal to read and follow if your interested, he's also someone who gets his soil tested regularly, helped me out a ton learning how to make sense of compost reports I was given...he won journal of the month a couple months ago...can't link from my phone but it's "Cottage 420 perpetual grow" or something like that

And yeah Teaming with Microbes was for sure my favorite read too....TLO was more opinion than fact, which is okay as long as you understand that, he stressed some great points, but he also lacked the science behind some stuff that seems questionable...was still well worth the read though .

My opinion, looks to me like the trichome pics are taken on leaves, which will amber up far earlier than the buds. I would check the buds first before deciding on ripeness. The pics are a bit fuzzy as well but the plant looks like it is not ready, to me.

Clear trichomes give off a different glare, and perhaps I notice that there

Besides, I have yet, in my very limited experience, come across a plant,that is ripe in eight weeks, close perhaps, but not yet

Will be nice buds either way, now or two weeks, no losers there my friend

Win, win, win, win, and Nuttin but

Cheers

My opinion, looks to me like the trichome pics are taken on leaves, which will amber up far earlier than the buds. I would check the buds first before deciding on ripeness. The pics are a bit fuzzy as well but the plant looks like it is not ready, to me.

Clear trichomes give off a different glare, and perhaps I notice that there

Besides, I have yet, in my very limited experience, come across a plant,that is ripe in eight weeks, close perhaps, but not yet

Will be nice buds either way, now or two weeks, no losers there my friend

Win, win, win, win, and Nuttin but

Cheers

Thanks very much for your input. I'll try to get some better pics tomorrow as just getting the hang of using that lense, and I'll try to get it on the buds rather than leafs.

I'm happy to leave them longer if they need it . will post some better pics tomorrow see what they look like

So im taking it you havent put any plants in yet? Its an open question until i know a few more specifics of what you want to achieve. Are you wanting bigger bushy plants and veg a bit longer or are you wanting lots of littles plants with little veg time?

Personally id probs go 8 or 12 plants in 22litre or bigger pots and hand feed or run drip line. I have 40 liberty haze slow veggong under 400w of hps so so 630w of mh is plenty enough to get you started.

From reading your thread I'm thinking begging for 4 weeks in 1 gallon pots and flowering in 5 gallon fabric pots. Having a drip system with a closed room running CO2 in flower room. I'm just seeking which meathod would give me the best quality nugs and obviously like everyone else yield. If you have had more success with one way I would take your advice and try to learn myself. I will be growing serious seeds AK-47 and serious seeds OG kush. So I'm thinking veg 6 of each strain then place each strain under a 1000w gavida. To scrog or not to scrog

7664e9a435eeccd02c0533a3b731cea7.jpg
7031f65690e8a3f39b2664d6582e745c.jpg

Can someone plz help me what is going on with my girls man
Hey Lee. Need some Info to help. Ph of feed ppms in and out type of medium,temps, And nutes you are using. First glance I see cal mag issues. That sad sagging occurs from wind, over and under watering nitrogen toxicity or a cal mag def.

Definitely not nitrogen from where I'm sitting and idk about your watering practices but I would guess your Ph and or ppm is out or range or the simply are thrusting for micronutrients. Look into cal mag plus camg+ calmagic. Any will work

From reading your thread I’m thinking begging for 4 weeks in 1 gallon pots and flowering in 5 gallon fabric pots. Having a drip system with a closed room running CO2 in flower room. I’m just seeking which meathod would give me the best quality nugs and obviously like everyone else yield. If you have had more success with one way I would take your advice and try to learn myself. I will be growing serious seeds AK-47 and serious seeds OG kush. So I’m thinking veg 6 of each strain then place each strain under a 1000w gavida. To scrog or not to scrog

That sounds good to me. I dont scrog with nets but i do bend plants so they are like a scrog grow. The net just acts as a support. Just bend bend bend. Its not stressful to plant when done correctly but bumps yields significantly.

Back
Top Bottom