Autos v. Photos - A 5x5 No Rules Fight for Yield: A Jon & NickHardy Gig

Big roots = Big fruits.

This is immutable.
Like most sweeping generalities this one's probably mostly true. But I'd give you SIP roots as an exception. If you were to try to match root base with harvest on disconnected plants you'd probably get it wrong.

We get mostly the very fine feeder roots which I've always attributed to the constant availability of water removing the need for the plant to build a major root system, but then I see DWC which should be an even more extreme example but those roots can grow huge.

We can get a pretty dense network of those roots, but the overall mass is actually quite unimpressive when compared to most other styles.

I have seen Shedster and I think it was con grow some massive plants in small containers. Still with that being said I still think it’s not growing to the potential that it could. But without testing with a cloned comparison I can’t say. CL🍀
Thanks CL but i think you got me mixed up with some one else i grow in soil with 7 gal pots (could be considered small) with autos & have grown a couple decent plants nothing much more than 9oz dry, for me in soil & just a basic nute feed just a micro & grow with some epsome salt i think i need big roots (im still kinda new to growing so could be wrong) with my simple nute feed i do notice a bit better health & size from a 5 gal to a 7 gal & everyone who grows with coco or hempy or dwc seem to have smaller pots (some ppl not all) with better results, just a stoned thought

WooHoo!
20140927.jpg

thats awesome, is that what they call a DWC?
WooHoo!

Not DWC... A 2liter, top fed, Turface, with microfiber wick for draining back to main res! Roots are in cup. 8 week clone to veg, 8 week flower!

Edit (cause man)...
In hydro, it's hard to believe the roots = budz stuff. 😂 I firmly believe you don't need huge root mass to make weight. If you provide them with everything they need, they don't need to grow big.

WooHoo!

Not DWC... A 2liter, top fed, Turface, with microfiber wick for draining back to main res! Roots are in cup. 8 week clone to veg, 8 week flower!
Turface thats interesting i'll have to check out one of your journals

Trizkit Photo
Days from Seed: 111
Days in Veg: 98
Days in Flower (since flip): 13
Tent: 5’x5’x6’6”
Light: @Mars Hydro FC-E6500
Current ppfd at highest point on plant: 1140
Nutes: @Remo Nutrients (complete set) plus CalMag plus Iron - Humboldt’s Secret (2-0-0)
Deflarfing “Tutorial”
Part 1
Before

It doesn’t take long to see that this is going to be a serious project. Lmao! Therefore, I’m going to present this in two parts. This is Part 1: Before.

This part is easy. All the pertinent info is on top in the headlines. Your eyes will certainly tell you the rest. I’m just going to show you the plant as best I can. I put an extra seat on my wheelchair seat to get three inches higher for the pictures. Lmao!

Enjoy. There does not exist the appropriate emoji for this plant. All of them are inadequate. So just…..enjoy. She’s fully female. I’m doing Part 2 in the morning.

:party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party:

IMG_5755.jpeg

IMG_5756.jpeg

IMG_5757.jpeg

IMG_5758.jpeg

IMG_5759.jpeg

IMG_5760.jpeg

IMG_5761.jpeg

IMG_5762.jpeg
Hi @Jon, this is an incredible plant. Do you have any expectations for the result?

Like most sweeping generalities this one's probably mostly true. But I'd give you SIP roots as an exception. If you were to try to match root base with harvest on disconnected plants you'd probably get it wrong.

We get mostly the very fine feeder roots which I've always attributed to the constant availability of water removing the need for the plant to build a major root system, but then I see DWC which should be an even more extreme example but those roots can grow huge.

We can get a pretty dense network of those roots, but the overall mass is actually quite unimpressive when compared to most other styles.
Huh. Very interesting. I did not know that. Obviously. One of the styles I have yet to delve into.

Thanks CL but i think you got me mixed up with some one else i grow in soil with 7 gal pots (could be considered small) with autos & have grown a couple decent plants nothing much more than 9oz dry, for me in soil & just a basic nute feed just a micro & grow with some epsome salt i think i need big roots (im still kinda new to growing so could be wrong) with my simple nute feed i do notice a bit better health & size from a 5 gal to a 7 gal & everyone who grows with coco or hempy or dwc seem to have smaller pots (some ppl not all) with better results, just a stoned thought
Interesting. I get exactly the opposite results. The bigger the pot I use with coco, the bigger the plant I get.

The great thing about tossing out absolutes like “big roots = big fruits” and labeling it as “immutable” is that those sort of statements spurn discussion. Look what we have here already. Again - I don’t give a lick about being wrong or getting corrected or educated. Most of the time it makes me better as a grower. I appreciate corrections and such. Isn’t that how we learn?

The great thing about tossing out absolutes like “big roots = big fruits” and labeling it as “immutable” is that those sort of statements spurn discussion. Look what we have here already. Again - I don’t give a lick about being wrong or getting corrected or educated. Most of the time it makes me better as a grower. I appreciate corrections and such. Isn’t that how we learn?
That said, no matter what you guys might say, I’ll stick with my supposed absolute. I haven’t heard anything yet to sway me from that position.

WooHoo!

Edit (cause man)...
In hydro, it's hard to believe the roots = budz stuff. 😂 I firmly believe you don't need huge root mass to make weight. If you provide them with everything they need, they don't need to grow big.
Gorgeous! Nice plant!!! Nice style!!! I still disagree with the root statement, but great plant! Lmao.

Hi @Jon, this is an incredible plant. Do you have any expectations for the result?
Thanks @Kanno26! Well, honestly, I have no earthly idea what she will yield. I’ve never grown one indoors this big before. No reference point. Captain Lucky thinks over a pound. ???

I’m about to go in and trim her down to manageable. It’s a serious job and requires me on the floor of the tent behind the plant working from below. Try that with no legs. Lol! So it’ll take a while but then I’ll post. I think maybe we’ll have a better idea after that.

There seem to be a number of people who don’t at all buy the big roots = big fruits concept. Fair enough. But so far everyone is giving us the same thing I did: their opinions. Their observations. Their impressions based on their particular experience. That’s awesome. But anyone got any actual science on this? @Wastei perhaps? @Azimuth? Anyone?

There seem to be a number of people who don’t at all buy the big roots = big fruits concept. Fair enough. But so far everyone is giving us the same thing I did: their opinions. Their observations. Their impressions based on their particular experience. That’s awesome. But anyone got any actual science on this? @Wastei perhaps? @Azimuth? Anyone?
The reason this is absolutely and vitally important, at least to me, is that literally my entire approach to growing is based on this concept. It is the first concept a Sensei here ever pounded into my head. Over and over again. Said it was THE most important thing. That Sensei was @Emilya Green. I took it to heart. So I’m still perfectly capable and willing to shed this as a mantra, and already have a test grow in mind to try and see for myself via side by side comparison. But it really is an important question. Anything educational on this topic is most appreciated and encouraged. Thanks.

The reason this is absolutely and vitally important, at least to me, is that literally my entire approach to growing is based on this concept. It is the first concept a Sensei here ever pounded into my head. Over and over again. Said it was THE most important thing. That Sensei was @Emilya Green. I took it to heart. So I’m still perfectly capable and willing to shed this as a mantra, and already have a test grow in mind to try and see for myself via side by side comparison. But it really is an important question. Anything educational on this topic is most appreciated and encouraged. Thanks.
In terms of this current grow, to a plant, the mass is directly proportional to their roots. I see the Apple Fritter roots. By far the most. By far the most mass. And so on down the line. Anecdotal.

In terms of this current grow, to a plant, the mass is directly proportional to their roots. I see the Apple Fritter roots. By far the most. By far the most mass. And so on down the line. Anecdotal.
Also, if someone can show me an auto in coco in a 3 that yielded 10+ ounces of jarred and great buds, I’ll eat my hat and video it for the journal.

Here’s my first argument:

I’m pretty sure we all would agree that on any given plant, the more colas you create and finish, the smaller each one will be.

Switching gears, after the weeks since hitting the jars, the Northern Lights organic is finally humming pretty loud. Took longer for this one to come alive than the Gorilla Cookies organic, harvested at the same time. The more I grow the more I learn and relearn the vital importance of the cure.

She tastes just like the NL I remember from high school and college. Balance. Some citrus and a touch of lemon. Bright. A touch sweet. A lot dank. Excellent buzz. Mine came out a bit on a up side. Took her at just a little dark amber trichs. And she has a ways to go yet. Great weed.

IMG_5766.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom