Back Garden Tropical Grow

Yes- just very slightly moist if possible. Not bone dry and not wet.

If I am to pay you for your excellent advice and support, I guess there won't be much of the (potential) crop left for myself. You are great, Sir! Yes, even if the plant turns out to be male.

P.S. I always loved «Deadwood» and have seen it twice. That is Mr. Swearengen in your profile pic, yes!? :Namaste:

Yes. I love that guy.
You're most welcome. I'm not a hot shot grower or anything by the way, and still making plenty of dumb mistakes- learning a lot now that I'm on this forum all the time.
Happy to help with what I can though. If I ever make it back to Thailand and you're still there- buy me a beer or something! (not Singha, lol...)

48 hours after transplant

Two days after transplanting, the new growth of our plant appears to be healthier. With the morning sun, the top leaves were stretching almost in a 90º angle. Simultaneously, the lower leafs of the three separate inter-nodes were all seriously withering, so I decided to remove them with a pair of very sharp (and clean) scissors.

I bought some fertilizer containing Nitrogen in the local market. It is brownish in color and approximately 6 mm across. When do I start fertilizing? The plant is now 15 cm tall. I would like to see faster growth, but preferably if it can be done safely.

How do I go about mixing in the fertilizer?

20150516_171619.jpg

Ok, this question will get more challenging for me down the road, and maybe someone else has some input too?. But for now- I'd say definitely don't fertilize yet. There will be some nutrient in that soil you used ( there's always naturally a little ). The plant is regaining it's health and growing roots, it will seek and find whatever food is there. They need surprisingly little when they are young.
Your pellet fertilizer is an unknown - maybe too strong at this stage, and once done, can't be undone.
I'm not sure how to answer this question further in the future though. Maybe the place to start would be some weak manure tea or maybe there is liquid fertilizer available, or other organic options. But for now I would say - leave it unfed and see how it grows for the next few days, probably for the next week.

You got it, Swearengen! I like the concept of listening to people with more experience. We will see how it grows on its own for one week, starting today.

:thanks:

How are things going? I'm a bit worried RF that you are going to ask me some questions it will be hard for me to answer- like how to use the pellet fertilizer you bought. It may be too strong for your plant and it's very hard to know how much to apply. It would be easier if there was some liquid fertilizer available that can be measured more precisely - otherwise I'd personally probably go for more organic options like compost and manure in diluted quantities. No being any kind of expert- my advice has to be very cautious because I would absolutely hate to get your plant in trouble!

Hurray, Bapple is around! I know she is a better gardener than me :cheer:

Weasel stop it :rofl:

I was mulling over RF's challenge, and I am going to have to disgust everyone by suggesting what I suggest to everyone that lives in places where you can't get proper and or accurate nutes. Google using your own urine as nitrogen fertiliser, it's easy, it's cheap and it's organic.

If you are freaked out by that suggestion, grind up your unknown pellet fertiliser (with a blender) and mix with a little soil and top dress, starting from 3 weeks of life starting with ridiculously small amounts and monitoring your plants response on a daily basis. If she tolerates it increase gradually.

As weasel said pellet fertiliser is an unknown variable and they are usually crazy hot. Once your girl starts to flower she will probably cope better but for now I would go with pee :grinjoint::grinjoint:

You've just proved my point Bapple! That's a great idea I hadn't thought of. Nivek has been feeding with only diluted urine for his whole grow and they look great. It may be socially unacceptable, but so is cannabis in some circles, and so you probably won't be demonstrating the feeding method to dinner parties anyway.

You've just proved my point Bapple! That's a great idea I hadn't thought of. Nivek has been feeding with only diluted urine for his whole grow and they look great. It may be socially unacceptable, but so is cannabis in some circles, and so you probably won't be demonstrating the feeding method to dinner parties anyway.

It's amusing the distaste for our own urine when people are paying good money for bat poo, cow poo and waste material from other sources :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thank you for the advice - I don't have a problem using urine at all.

However, I already added a little pellet fertilizer. Based on healthy growth seen elsewhere in the garden, I added a moderate amount of fertilizer to my cannabis-plant as well. The new leafs on the two new inter-nodes look healthy and do not appear to turn yellow.

It seems my plant is stabilizing from the transplant, but growth is rather slow. It gets five hours of direct sunlight, and seven hours indirect sunlight. The reason is the wall and the house, which obstructs the sun in early morning hours and afternoon. I do understand direct sunlight throughout the day would be better, but I can not flaunt my plant to the neighbor. It is simply a bad idea.

Well RF hopefully all will be well with the pellets, if not you have a backup.

Flaunting the plant to the neighbour is definitely not a good idea. I think the amount of sunlight you get should yield you a good crop if all the other things are dialled in.

Sexing the plant leaves me with a question

Today I purchased a magnifying glass, re-read my research on sexing plants and carried the plant inside for close inspection. Luckily I have eyesight like an eagle, and was quickly able to find Calyx on each side of the stem, on the fourth inter-node. Exactly as described in the illustration. Four Calyx are visible, three of them clearly pointed.

As I understand it, pointed is indicative of a female. The fourth Calyx is so small, the shape cannot be determined yet. However, with three clearly pointed Calyx (no balls), I am very optimistic about this.

I don't post any picture today - the macro-function on my phone camera is not good enough to capture the Calyx. However, the plant is growing fine and has gained two-three inches since the transplant last Tuesday. The color is turning darker green as well.

As this is a plant grown from a bag-seed, it is likely that the mother is a hermie. Does that mean my plant will become a hermie as well? One instructional YouTube-video mentions that plants grown from bag-seeds turn female in 80 percent of the instances.

Do you agree this is more than likely a female, or perhaps I missed something? Look forward to your answer(s).

grow-marijuana-outdoors-preflowers.gif

I'm glad the plant is doing well. As for it being female - I tend to trust your meticulous inspection, but it's hard to know without seeing it. What really lets us know for sure is the appearance of the pistils. They will appear from the calyxes very soon, if calyxes they are.

As for the bag seed being hermie- yes and no. I'll give you my take on it.
Most commercially available herb in the colder regions of the world is grown indoors. Indoors, any males tend to be detected and get chopped down ASAP. Any seeded bud is much more likely to come from a female plant that grew a few male flowers (hermie genetics) before it was detected. They can be much less obvious- especially because the plant has female flowers on it as well. The times I got seeds accidentally it was almost always from hermies spreading a bit of pollen.

If grown outdoors in my part of the world, cannabis is usually tended as well, at least to the point where males are removed - though the chance of a regular male pollinating the females is greater outdoors because pollen can come on the wind, and outdoor grows are less carefully inspected. In Canada there isn't much outdoor herb for sale. Any high grade stuff is indoor.

In Thailand cannabis grows wild outdoors and is less well tended and it's quite likely that males would be in the growing area. Also- I think most growers leave the best few males to deliberately pollinate some of the crop to produce seeds. A lot of herb that I've smoked in Thailand and the area is seeded, so it might not mean much.

Having said all this- landrace (wild) sativas in my understanding, can be very prone to hermie traits. To the point where some strains All have hermie traits.
So as always... It's a guessing game and we just won't know till it grows up a bit more.

Thank you very much for your insight, Weaselcracker!

I need to do further reading to get gain full understanding of male, female and hermaphrodites, but at this point I feel confident having enough knowledge to remove any males from future grows. It is truly interesting, and I learn more for every day that passes. I know one thing for sure - even if this first single plant should turn out to be a male, I am definitely just getting started as farmer. I have the necessary patience and always pay attention to details. I have the feeling future plants are going to love my company...

Yes, I will definitely be looking for those pistils.

:circle-of-love:

I'm growing a landrace Thai strain at the moment which I really like. No hermie traits - flowers quickly, and is a nice strong and clear smoke. It's called Mama Thai- I ordered mine from Seedsman seedbank. If you couldn't find more seeds locally that suit you, and are inclined to go the mail order route- it may be an option. They use very stealthy packaging. I'm not sure what the risks are in your area though. Cannabis seeds are legal in Canada, conveniently.

By accident I came across one of these seed-banks shipping internationally, but not to Southeast Asia. They mentioned customs control had been beefed up, and therefore felt it was unethical to ship here. I am going to need a provider that offers high quality product along with the best stealth packaging available. That will probably work. Thanks for mentioning Seedsman Seedbank. I will check it out immediately.

:Namaste:

Seedsman offers guaranteed shipping for a fee. Meaning that if your parcel doesn't arrive on your end they wil reship it. Also they were extremely fast and very nice to deal with. If that doesn't work out also check the 420 forum sponsors (I'm compelled to say this-:) ) They (mostly) get great reviews as well. Seedsman isn't currently a 420 sponsor I believe but I hope they become one again.

Back
Top Bottom