Bagseed DIY cabinet grow - Wonderberry - fall '09

I just checked on Annie a few minutes ago between rain showers. She is not showing any signs of nute burn so it seems that my twice per week feeding schedule is not to harsh on her.
I was unhappy to see that the whiteflies are still hangin out. I am wondering if the oil, soap, water solution takes a few applications to take affect. Does anyone know?

So I checked on Annie Oakley today and she still has a bunch of white flies biting at her. The post I read about at the top of Problems, Pests & Disease Control said to use the soap, oil, water mixture once every ten days and I do not want to have any ill effects from over dosing her with it.

Does anyone have any experience using this particular biting pest control? Did you get it to work? If so was it harmful to your plant? Did it take multiple applications to take effect?

If I cannot get it to work I am considering getting some neem oil. Does anyone have any experience with this? if so how well did it work? did it take multiple applications?

Annie Is branching pretty well with the training. I don't think I can call it LST because I do not have anything countering the force of the stick. I started when she was all new growth so I figured if I started gentle the roots would stay down and that seems to have been the case. The last time I changed sticks I was kind of rough with her but I noticed absolutely no bulging of the soil.

I am going to post some pics in a little while but I cannot take any pictures of the white flies as the camera will not zoom in that closely.

Here are the pictures:
11-29-09_3_.jpg
11-29-09_1_.jpg
11-29-09_2_.jpg

Thanks for checking in Setting Sun.

The white flies are still hanging out chewing on leaves. I am considering getting some neem oil to try as I recently read an article stating that it can be used in the soil to create a systemic biting insect control. I believe DroJo posted the link.

No problem on the wait, I figured someone would respond at some point.

white flies usually require multiple sprayings and treatments to have any impact.

I found pyrethrin-based products work pretty well, but still had to keep checking under the leaves often for adults and eggs.

I never totally eradicated them from my last grow, but I was able to knock them back and control them with Doktor Doom pyrethrin spray.

Not sure how effective the more "organic" cures will be.

they are very persistent little bastages ;)

So I was gone yesterday but my fan and filter finally arrived:slide:
12-2-09_1_.jpg
12-2-09_3_.jpg
12-2-09_2_.jpg

I checked on Annie this morning and she is getting bushy. Those damn white flies are still hanging around though.
12-2-09_6_.jpg
The white spot in the middle of the red circle is a damned dreaded whitefly.

12-2-09_4_.jpg
12-2-09_5_.jpg

Those are all prior to bending her back over with the stick. Time to go medicate.:grinjoint:

I've got the same filter - works great - the fan gets a little noisy at full speed, if you get a fan controller, get one that is variable, not three speed... it drops off too much between speeds.

sweet, thanks for the info OBX I will be mounting them in the next couple of days. I tested the fan to make sure it is in good working order and it seemed to be very well balanced. I also noticed that the noise level is lower than that of the three inch fan I had been using before. However I have not installed it to see what kind of vibration will be present.

No problem - yeah, it's really not that loud... less than a bathroom fan. It's actually loudest outside where the exhaust is - I put an outdoor chair cushion over it as a muffler

sweet I was thinking of building a muffler from a piece of 16 inch diameter ducting, a piece of 4 inch diameter piping, two 16 inch duct caps and a butt load of cotton or steel wool but if it stays within acceptable noise levels I wont need to.

No worries man, good karma is good enough for me ;)

It pretty much reminds me of dryer vent, maybe a little louder. Your plan sounds like it'd work great... that poly fill in the seat cushion does the job for me, but I'm sure I could be a little less ghetto.

Ok so I decided to install the fan today while there was still light out. I cut some foam and rolled it into a ring which was used to seal the fan to the pipe. The metal straps were lengthened and the fan was mounted to them.
fan_installed.jpg

While I was installing the fan I decided to spray the underside of Annie's leaves with oil, soap, water solution for the whitflies. This sat on her for about an hour this time and she seemed unhappy about it.

I decided to look into something else to control these things and went to home depot where I found an organic pesticide called Organocide.
Organocide.jpg

The active ingredient is sesame oil and the inactive ingredients are edible fish oil and lecithin so I don't think there is any chance of harming the plant.

Here is a pic of Annie under the light and being trained down
peekin_back_up.jpg

so Annie seems to be pretty happy today. The temps this morning were just around 68 Fahrenheit so I assumed the thermostat has different settings under 1500 watts than under 750 watts. I turned it up and within an hour the temps were in the mid seventies. It does not want to get any hotter than that though with the new fan.

The training is working out great as I now have about five sites where colas will develop with more to come.
12-3-09_3_.jpg
12-3-09_1_.jpg
I plan on continuing my veg until she is at least all the way around the pot.

Here is my favorite pic from this morning:
12-3-09_2_.jpg

I added a top coat of Ace compost as the soil has compacted and I plan to give her straight water in a day or two as I am beginning to see a little nute burn. I think I will go with a pattern that others have used on this forum: nutes, nutes, water; repeat.

Back
Top Bottom