Bagseed Indoor 600W MH/HPs Airpot Sensi Tent

SauronBlue

Welcome and thanks for having me!

I'm very excited to be starting back into this hobby! I came here to learn how to grow back in 2011. I read a bunch of journals and even made my own grow journal. After a few years of doing things the same way I started, not improving or learning, I was unhappy with the results and put all my stuff in storage. I've missed it a lot, and have read up before coming back, to try to do a better job and get better results. I already figured out that I was likely heavily over-watering, which would explain the low potency and turning brown after drying/curing(which I'm also quite sure I mangled before).
So, on this grow, I'm using FoxFarms Ocean Fields soil in Airpots. I'm in a 3x3 tent with fluros to start, then I'll likely use 600w for Mh veg and HPs bloom, but I may decide to use a 400w Mh for veg. I'll use Sensi Grow/Bloom to try and eliminate Ph level issues. I'm going to vent my light and tent separately, and try to keep humidity optimum with de/humidifier assistance.

Without further ado...
20191109_142612.jpg 20191110_220411.jpg 20191111_153610.jpg

I can't find my feminized seeds from way back when, so I'm using some bagseed that I had laying around. I sat the seeds in water overnight, then right into the solo cups, which I've drilled 4 small drainage holes in the bottom of (with a small Dremmel bit). I got some party cups and cut the lip off, so they'd fit into the solo cups and make little humidity domes for the babies. I've got a humidifier on a timer set to go for 15min every 2hrs, because my humidity was around 31%. My humidity is now around 50-60% and temp around 65-70°f. I've just got them sitting on boxes to raise them up, and not have to work on my knees.
I gave the cups a slow water until they leaked, then put on the domes. I left them without lights for a day, then turned them on yesterday.

20191111_153655.jpg 20191111_201449.jpg 20191111_201502.jpg

So, today this little monster decided to say hello! There were 3-4 of the 8 seeds that I planted that were popped, and just about to stick their tongues out. I expect at least another 2-3 to pop up by tomorrow. Once I see some leaves that need to breathe, I'll take the domes off and let them stretch.

Yes, Sensi is AN's 2-part Ph perfect system. I was using 3-part from GH before, and recently found that 2-part mixes are easier. I guess 3-part is the same overall mix as 2-part, but for those who think they can improve on the company's feeding schedule. I'm going to let the nutes do the work this time, and leave out all the extra supplements.
Many supplements contain N-P-K too, so they are also nutrients. Welcome back.

Yes, Sensi is AN's 2-part Ph perfect system. I was using 3-part from GH before, and recently found that 2-part mixes are easier. I guess 3-part is the same overall mix as 2-part, but for those who think they can improve on the company's feeding schedule. I'm going to let the nutes do the work this time, and leave out all the extra supplements.
I used ph perfect Sensi in hydro. My Sensi p.H perfect stayed under 6.0 which is not ideal for soil. I tried to run it with a soil grow and had nothing but issues. I have recently went from hydro to soil and I went from all the AN stuff to a single bag of Nutrients. From hundreds of dollars to 35$. I am sticking around for the ride.

Attachments

• F4F0DFA0-3AC1-4BDB-9EE9-149CD838114D.jpeg
    F4F0DFA0-3AC1-4BDB-9EE9-149CD838114D.jpeg
    669.7 KB · Views: 166
  • 4A90E208-9821-458D-8C8A-A0E7924657D1.jpeg
    4A90E208-9821-458D-8C8A-A0E7924657D1.jpeg
    715.5 KB · Views: 165
Many supplements contain N-P-K too, so they are also nutrients. Welcome back.

Thanks for the welcome. That's exactly my point, all those supplements change the nutes, so I want to get to basics and see what the nutes do on their own first, then identify where I might want to add something on the next run. I've never done a simple grow, I went straight into lots of plants in hempy pots and every additive I could afford. I think worrying over 40-50 plants plus mothers and clones and all the extra steps caused me to never get the focus to just grow a plant well. Once I can get a plant to give potency that I can use, then I can decide if it would be helped by this or that.

I used ph perfect Sensi in hydro. My Sensi p.H perfect stayed under 6.0 which is not ideal for soil. I tried to run it with a soil grow and had nothing but issues. I have recently went from hydro to soil and I went from all the AN stuff to a single bag of Nutrients. From hundreds of dollars to 35$. I am sticking around for the ride.

Aw, man. That's not what I want to hear after buying the nutes LOL
I told the guy at the store that I was using soil when I bought the nutes, but his only warning was that it doesn't actually change the Ph, but allow the plant to use more nutrients if the Ph happens to be off. When I told him that I saw a video where they actually used 3 res tanks at different Ph's, and all were the same Ph after adding the nutes, he kind of trailed off and changed the subject. I find the info I get from one store to another, or even one employee to another to be very conflicting, and honestly take everything they say with a grain of salt.
So, now you only use one thing from seed to harvest? Why do you use cal/mag in soil? I thought that was for coco. This is why my first post back was about updating the "How to" section. I think the community could really revamp the info that's on there, most of which was posted over a decade ago. A sticky post could've told people not to use sensi with soil. Is your current regimen the only one you recommend?

Thanks for the welcome. That's exactly my point, all those supplements change the nutes, so I want to get to basics and see what the nutes do on their own first, then identify where I might want to add something on the next run. I've never done a simple grow, I went straight into lots of plants in hempy pots and every additive I could afford. I think worrying over 40-50 plants plus mothers and clones and all the extra steps caused me to never get the focus to just grow a plant well. Once I can get a plant to give potency that I can use, then I can decide if it would be helped by this or that.

Aw, man. That's not what I want to hear after buying the nutes LOL
I told the guy at the store that I was using soil when I bought the nutes, but his only warning was that it doesn't actually change the Ph, but allow the plant to use more nutrients if the Ph happens to be off. When I told him that I saw a video where they actually used 3 res tanks at different Ph's, and all were the same Ph after adding the nutes, he kind of trailed off and changed the subject. I find the info I get from one store to another, or even one employee to another to be very conflicting, and honestly take everything they say with a grain of salt.
So, now you only use one thing from seed to harvest? Why do you use cal/mag in soil? I thought that was for coco. This is why my first post back was about updating the "How to" section. I think the community could really revamp the info that's on there, most of which was posted over a decade ago. A sticky post could've told people not to use sensi with soil. Is your current regimen the only one you recommend?
I am happy with Mega Crop. I only keep cal-Mag at this point because I had it. I have not used it. Cal-Mag is something to keep around. Other than that I use great white on my seedlings.PH up which now they believe doesn’t need to be adjusted in soil. Mine sits at 5.8 after mixing. I PH up still, still on the fence. Nothing more. Lots of us go through those pains. . At least the next purchase will be cheaper. Finding this site has worked wonders in my pocket book.

20191114_143408.jpg

So, it's been 3 days, and only one more plant has popped up so far. I think I'm going to drop some more seeds tonight, in hopes of filling up the 8 cups to bring into veg. Since it's bagseed, I have no idea which of them will have genetics that I like or will be female, so I want to have more than I need- only 2 makes me nervous. I've had the light on 24/0 and it's been steady at 75-80°f and 55-60%Rh without any ventilation. I took a lux reading at the level of the domes/plants, and it was 18k. The two I have look good so far, so at least that's good. I'm really trying to resist the temptation to water them constantly, but since that was a big negative for me before, I'm trying to really let them get a decent dry between waterings, to encourage the roots to search and develop.

20191114_173829.jpg 20191114_173842.jpg

I put my 600w Mh bulb in my air-cooled reflector. It seems like the hood has twisted on the tube somehow, but I can't seem to get it any straighter, and I don't want to mess anything up. I couldn't find my old ducting, so I'm waiting on some new stuff to arrive, then I'll be venting the light thru the tent roof, and out of a nearby window. I'm not really worried about odor, so I'm planning to just put a 4" fan pulling from the tent, right out the same window, with no scrubber. Both fans will be on dimmer/controllers to give me enough airflow for my needs without overdoing it or extra noise.

20191114_173947.jpg

I'm big on DIY, so I'm making a frame to put in the window that will hold all the connections in place, while keeping the cold out of the house. I'm planning to vent the 6" ducts in/out of 3" pvc pipes, and the 4" fan out of a 2" pvc pipe. I made sure that there is room for the full ducting to connect with a flange to the wood frame, and if necessary, I can cut the holes bigger to allow larger vent pipes, but I think this will let enough air pass, while keeping a minimal visual impact on the outside of the window. It will be painted black, and have black ABS 90° pipes (I guess not actual pvc, but basically the same thing)

Check out the blue.

Yeah, I feel like I pulled similar info from way down in my memory once you mentioned it, I just hadn't thought of it or seen it mentioned in my "refresher" reading

I am happy with Mega Crop. I only keep cal-Mag at this point because I had it. I have not used it. Cal-Mag is something to keep around. Other than that I use great white on my seedlings.PH up which now they believe doesn’t need to be adjusted in soil. Mine sits at 5.8 after mixing. I PH up still, still on the fence. Nothing more. Lots of us go through those pains. . At least the next purchase will be cheaper. Finding this site has worked wonders in my pocket book.

I quickly searched it, and saw nothing but good reviews, so I went to their website. They actually offer a free bag of the stuff with enough to grow several plants, so I got that deal, and got a bag of their bloom booster and sweet candy just to support them and try it out. I may not use the additives this time around, to stick to my "pure grow" intentions

Yeah, I feel like I pulled similar info from way down in my memory once you mentioned it, I just hadn't thought of it or seen it mentioned in my "refresher" reading

I quickly searched it, and saw nothing but good reviews, so I went to their website. They actually offer a free bag of the stuff with enough to grow several plants, so I got that deal, and got a bag of their bloom booster and sweet candy just to support them and try it out. I may not use the additives this time around, to stick to my "pure grow" intentions
You don’t need it. The new stuff is all you need.

I tagged you in a thread. Plenty of great help there. I am still in my first run of it. These guys have produced.

I'm working my way thru a couple of threads right now, but I have a tab open, ready to check out that MC Grow thread.

I'm trying to design a scrog screen, and I haven't seen one quite like the one I'm picturing, but it's a mix of different styles that I liked. I'm stuck between 2 different heights, and open to any other suggestions. basically, I want to make a screen that has a tilt up in the back, to let the buds on the edges get enough light to thrive. I picture changing the tent out after a grow would be a huge hassle, and it would be impossible to move from grow area to flower area with multiple plants in one screen. My solution is to split the screen into quarters. This way, each plant has it's own section of screen, so if one needs more time, I'm not stuck untangling buds from the other plants from the outside of the tent, I can just take out that section, and let the rest keep growing.

scrogject02.jpg scrogject01.jpg

So, I'm planning on a 36x36 canopy, split into 4 18x18 sections. The overall frame will be 1" oak board, and I'll drill holes, put 2, 1/8" steel rods thru to create the bend point, and plug the holes with wooden dowels. The net will be threaded thru the metal rods on it's way from one side of the wood to the other, creating the flat bottom/ slanted sides effect. The short lengths of rod wont have any netting. The image is to scale, with my pots of 13"dx12"h, my tent of 39.5x39.5x79(cut away), and the space from the top of the pots to the screen another 12". I only put 2 sections, but you get the idea how they fit together. I'm wondering if I should go with a 6" outer edge height, or 9". I also have to work out the angle I want on the legs, because the picture in my head has them slightly skewed inward, not straight down.

V SCROG_blog_cdn.jpg DSC017914.JPG vertical-scrog.jpg

Here's the idea of the bend in the back, for anyone who can't picture it. The difference is, my bend would go all around the tent, not just from side to side. Now that I'm looking at the example pics, I'm wondering if a 12" option might be a good idea? Any suggestions are welcome. I've often found that another set of eyes can see things that you miss, but seem instantly obvious once you're clued in.

20191115_165902.jpg 20191115_165945.jpg 20191115_173443.jpg 20191115_173458.jpg

The ducting came yesterday, so I could attach it to the light, and almost get it going. I was able to fit all the parts together for the roof. I got some plywood to cover the top, and make it sturdier, and better for attaching things to it. I have a sheet for each half, instead of one piece, just for easier maintenance and transport. I cut holes in the roof to allow the ducting to fit thru, and attached the light fan and the ballast to the roof. I'm also going to put together a gravity watering system, and I'll need to put a 5 gallon bucket or more up there as the res. I put one of the fans in using the mic stand, and they worked great!
I'm still waiting on a bunch of stuff to get delivered, so I can't get everything set up at once. I also ordered an RO system, so I'll be testing that. I'm hearing that RO, but not DI is better for plants. Anyone have an opinion on that?
The 2 little ones are growing strong, and I dropped another 10 seeds in 6 cups, hopefully I get one in each cup.

20191119_185130.jpg 20191117_144220.jpg

A few days later, and still just the same 2 plants, but now under the 600w Mh at 50%. I think putting the seed tin on the back of the tv and cable box may have been too hot, cooking the seeds, or maybe just because it's old bagseed. Either way, I put a 3rd round of seeds in the dirt today, these ones were germinated in cooler water. I also dumped out the cups of soil from the failed seeds, tossed it around, and re-packed the cups before planting the seeds again. I decided not to use domes this time.

20191119_194438.jpg 20191119_194554.jpg 20191119_194645.jpg

I got my ppm meter, so I tried to get a good idea of my water situation, but I'm only more confused. The water (in order of the pics) straight out of the tap, tap after sitting out, and carbon filtered and sat out, all have nearly the same Ph and ppm. I haven't made any RO water yet, but I figured that would just strip the cal/mag out, and require me to replace it. I decided to try with just carbon filtering, not putting the RO cartridge in or attaching the DI part. After mixing in the new MC nutes, the Ph was 5.5, so I bumped it up to 6.5, and gave the plants a light feeding. I used about !/2 of what the online calculator said for week 1 veg, since people said that's a pretty accurate guide, unlike most nutes that you want to use 1/2 the recommended dose at max.

20191119_185130.jpg 20191117_144220.jpg

A few days later, and still just the same 2 plants, but now under the 600w Mh at 50%. I think putting the seed tin on the back of the tv and cable box may have been too hot, cooking the seeds, or maybe just because it's old bagseed. Either way, I put a 3rd round of seeds in the dirt today, these ones were germinated in cooler water. I also dumped out the cups of soil from the failed seeds, tossed it around, and re-packed the cups before planting the seeds again. I decided not to use domes this time.

20191119_194438.jpg 20191119_194554.jpg 20191119_194645.jpg

I got my ppm meter, so I tried to get a good idea of my water situation, but I'm only more confused. The water (in order of the pics) straight out of the tap, tap after sitting out, and carbon filtered and sat out, all have nearly the same Ph and ppm. I haven't made any RO water yet, but I figured that would just strip the cal/mag out, and require me to replace it. I decided to try with just carbon filtering, not putting the RO cartridge in or attaching the DI part. After mixing in the new MC nutes, the Ph was 5.5, so I bumped it up to 6.5, and gave the plants a light feeding. I used about !/2 of what the online calculator said for week 1 veg, since people said that's a pretty accurate guide, unlike most nutes that you want to use 1/2 the recommended dose at max.
You may not have high Chlorine in your water. How many gm-gallon did you use? I use RO water and do not add any Cal-Mag to the MC.

If you're asking grams/gallon, I used 1/2 the week 1 dosage from the website, so 1g/gal. Maybe carbon filtering doesn't affect water like I assumed, but I figured it would take out a chunk of the ppm, at least 10-20%, leaving the hard scrubbing to the RO membrane, and the DI section sanitizing the last bit of ppm out. I didn't expect to see no change in ppm or Ph. How do I know if my filter is working, if there's no change in the readings I get? I also don't want to complicate things needlessly. Why use RO, taking that time to filter, effort, wasted "bad" water, and expense changing membranes, if I can use tap or carbon filtered without issue? I got my water test results from the city website, so I know there's no chloramine, but there is chlorine. I would assume that even leaving the water out to gas off the chlorine would lower the ppm a bit.

If I can get the right quality out of my grow this time, I want to expand with LEDs and RDWC. These white LEDs are really catching my eye, and the growth rate of hydro plants is crazy, but I need to see that I can make a worthy plant before I can justify putting that much money into this hobby.

If you're asking grams/gallon, I used 1/2 the week 1 dosage from the website, so 1g/gal. Maybe carbon filtering doesn't affect water like I assumed, but I figured it would take out a chunk of the ppm, at least 10-20%, leaving the hard scrubbing to the RO membrane, and the DI section sanitizing the last bit of ppm out. I didn't expect to see no change in ppm or Ph. How do I know if my filter is working, if there's no change in the readings I get? I also don't want to complicate things needlessly. Why use RO, taking that time to filter, effort, wasted "bad" water, and expense changing membranes, if I can use tap or carbon filtered without issue? I got my water test results from the city website, so I know there's no chloramine, but there is chlorine. I would assume that even leaving the water out to gas off the chlorine would lower the ppm a bit.

If I can get the right quality out of my grow this time, I want to expand with LEDs and RDWC. These white LEDs are really catching my eye, and the growth rate of hydro plants is crazy, but I need to see that I can make a worthy plant before I can justify putting that much money into this hobby.
Many of the people that are using MC don’t use RO water. Off gas over night and roll with it. Growing can initially be expensive but I have saved more than I have spent.

20191121_151135.jpg 20191121_151330.jpg 20191121_152352.jpg

I gave a good feeding today. Too good, actually. I thought I remembered the feed amount, or maybe I looked at it wrong before, but I thought 1/3 of a scoop into 1.5l of water would be pretty good. Looks like that was more for about a 5 gal mix. I'll hit them with a bit of plain water tomorrow, and remix the nutes before the next feeding. I also could've Ph'ed the water up a bit more, I went from 5.5 to 6. My ppm were 3k, which I did think was high, but I didn't feel like checking.

20191121_165619.jpg 20191121_165702.jpg 20191121_165821.jpg 20191121_165844.jpg

The tent conditions have been much better than my last grows, where I was regularly going over 90°. I'm staying between 67-81° on this one, and boosting the humidity from my normal 30-35% should help in the beginning of veg, until I have lots of leaves. I want to get started on training early, so I Fimmed the taller of my twins. I was just going to top her, but decided to test the fim. I don't want a focus on the main cola, since it's going under a screen, so I want the plant to grow like a cross, reaching out in 4 directions. I feel like this will give me more even coverage on my screen, once each one has branches coming off of it, and has popped over and under the screen a few times.

20191121_151135.jpg 20191121_151330.jpg 20191121_152352.jpg

I gave a good feeding today. Too good, actually. I thought I remembered the feed amount, or maybe I looked at it wrong before, but I thought 1/3 of a scoop into 1.5l of water would be pretty good. Looks like that was more for about a 5 gal mix. I'll hit them with a bit of plain water tomorrow, and remix the nutes before the next feeding. I also could've Ph'ed the water up a bit more, I went from 5.5 to 6. My ppm were 3k, which I did think was high, but I didn't feel like checking.

20191121_165619.jpg 20191121_165702.jpg 20191121_165821.jpg 20191121_165844.jpg

The tent conditions have been much better than my last grows, where I was regularly going over 90°. I'm staying between 67-81° on this one, and boosting the humidity from my normal 30-35% should help in the beginning of veg, until I have lots of leaves. I want to get started on training early, so I Fimmed the taller of my twins. I was just going to top her, but decided to test the fim. I don't want a focus on the main cola, since it's going under a screen, so I want the plant to grow like a cross, reaching out in 4 directions. I feel like this will give me more even coverage on my screen, once each one has branches coming off of it, and has popped over and under the screen a few times.
You are saying you had a 3k ppm for those seedlings?

Back
Top Bottom