Beavis' 1st Grow - Hi Brix Soil - Huckleberry Kush - PS500

Today I transplanted the 2 recently promoted JV plants into plastic 1 gallon pots from 1 gallon fabric pots.

As insurance, I soaked 3 new seeds overnight and put in soil today in 1 gallon plastic pots. I'm done with fabric. I bought the hype and want to go with the same methods most of the Brix gang is using and that is plastic.

Today I transplanted the 2 recently promoted JV plants into plastic 1 gallon pots from 1 gallon fabric pots.

As insurance, I soaked 3 new seeds overnight and put in soil today in 1 gallon plastic pots. I'm done with fabric. I bought the hype and want to go with the same methods most of the Brix gang is using and that is plastic.

Just out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the fabric pots?

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Just out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the fabric pots?

Well I guess a few things. A big thing that bothered me was that there was sometimes a gap between the soil and the side of the pot allowing air way down into pot on the sides. Don't know that this is detrimental. I also like having the hard plastic to grab.

While I don't have direct experience, I've read a lot about soft pruning in the soft pots. The roots seem to build a better ball in the plastics for some reason. I'm sure many have had tremendous success with fabric, I just experienced a few things with them that I'd like to do different.

My main goal in switching to plastic is to duplicate the exact growing methods of several other growers here and that means using plastic. I don't need to experiment. I need to stick with what works.

You know the saying...if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Well I guess a few things. A big thing that bothered me was that there was sometimes a gap between the soil and the side of the pot allowing air way down into pot on the sides. Don't know that this is detrimental. I also like having the hard plastic to grab.

While I don't have direct experience, I've read a lot about soft pruning in the soft pots. The roots seem to build a better ball in the plastics for some reason. I'm sure many have had tremendous success with fabric, I just experienced a few things with them that I'd like to do different.

My main goal in switching to plastic is to duplicate the exact growing methods of several other growers here and that means using plastic. I don't need to experiment. I need to stick with what works.

You know the saying...if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Sweet! Yea I was just wondering since I start in plastic 1 gals but finish in fabric 7's. And since this is my first high brix grow I haven't done a drench in the soft pots and I was wondering if giving them drenches in fabric pots was difficult or something. Thanks for the info tho Beavis

Sweet! Yea I was just wondering since I start in plastic 1 gals but finish in fabric 7's. And since this is my first high brix grow I haven't done a drench in the soft pots and I was wondering if giving them drenches in fabric pots was difficult or something. Thanks for the info tho Beavis

It's really hard for me to say ColoradoKid. You're talking to a first timer who screwed up the first go. lol

I wasn't drenching properly and have probably been feeding too lightly. I believe I did my first proper drench with the Rescue Drench as I used 4 gallons of water and the drench. I did that when they were still in cloth pots and didn't have any issues at all. Drenching in cloth pots is fast as the water seeps through the sides instead of just the holes at the bottom of the plastics.

It probably has zero to do with the pots, I just wanted to switch up the mojo a bit and do what Doc and some others are doing.

Plastic to start then finals are soft for us. Experimenting if hard or soft is better for flower now. Let's see some pics of them beavis!

Yeah I saw Canna's post ( think it was her right?) about experimenting which is super cool. Definitely following that.

Why do you use plastic to start then cloth Nis? Just curious.

My original plan was to select 1 plant and grow it in a 10 gallon pot. Went to the store today looking at pot sizes and realized the diameter of the bottom of the 10 and 15 gallon pot sizes is the exact same...its just deeper and holds more volume of dirt. So that doesn't affect anything in terms of fitting inside my grow tent. I was worried the 15 would be too big in diameter but it's the same as the 10.

Do you have any thoughts about 10 vs 15 if you're just doing a single plant? Would the additional 5 gallons make much difference in plant size?

Let me post some photos tomorrow...I just got done spraying some brix and doing a little arranging and clean up in the garden. Tired and wanna hit the bong. :volcano-smiley:

I did mean to mention that the plants have definitely perked up after the Rescue Drench so there is hope.

I found my 2 gal smart pots dry out too fast and also from outside to center instead of from top down which really diminishes root development. They worked great at first when plants weren't drinking much and I was overwatering, but as soon as they got some size it's like the roots they had developed started retracting. I now leave my starts in 1 gal plastic instead of 2 gal soft. First plant I potted from 1gal to 6 gal quickly caught up to others transplanted over a week earlier from 2 gal softies.

I do like my 6 gal bags, but can't say how they would compare to solid pots.

I found my 2 gal smart pots dry out too fast and also from outside to center instead of from top down which really diminishes root development. They worked great at first when plants weren't drinking much and I was overwatering, but as soon as they got some size it's like the roots they had developed started retracting. I now leave my starts in 1 gal plastic instead of 2 gal soft. First plant I potted from 1gal to 6 gal quickly caught up to others transplanted over a week earlier from 2 gal softies.

I do like my 6 gal bags, but can't say how they would compare to solid pots.

Great thoughts Kingston, I appreciate the input! I now have all my plants in the 1 gallon plastics and put the 3 new seedlings in the plastics too. I think MAYBE what you described with outside drying out first is what I was experiencing. It'd seem dry as a bone on the exterior so I assumed the whole root ball was dry too but it was obviously still a little moist and I would water again too soon.

Yeah I saw Canna's post ( think it was her right?) about experimenting which is super cool. Definitely following that.

Why do you use plastic to start then cloth Nis? Just curious.

My original plan was to select 1 plant and grow it in a 10 gallon pot. Went to the store today looking at pot sizes and realized the diameter of the bottom of the 10 and 15 gallon pot sizes is the exact same...its just deeper and holds more volume of dirt. So that doesn't affect anything in terms of fitting inside my grow tent. I was worried the 15 would be too big in diameter but it's the same as the 10.

Do you have any thoughts about 10 vs 15 if you're just doing a single plant? Would the additional 5 gallons make much difference in plant size?

Let me post some photos tomorrow...I just got done spraying some brix and doing a little arranging and clean up in the garden. Tired and wanna hit the bong. :volcano-smiley:
We use plastic so we can get a meaty rootball while in veg. The soft pots will air prune the roots so when you transplant out of those soft pots, they will not be swirling around the pot like you would have with a plastic pot. But in flower you don't want them to get get rootbound and the air pruning helps with that.

I'm not sure how much a difference would make between a 10 and 15 gallon. I do know for a fact that in a 15 gallon vs. a 7 gallon it's a huge difference. If you have the room and the soil, go 15s. 1 kit is close to 60 gallons. :thumb:

Ok I got some pics of the plants for everyone. They had wilted pretty good by the time they dried out and I was finally able to give them the Rescue Drench. I trimmed off some of the dead leaves at the bottom so the plants may look a little funky in addition to having their growth stunted.

The new growth is looking pretty good and the leafs and stems are becoming more firm and standing out which is good. I'm really hoping to sex the 2 larger plants as they are at about 5 weeks from seed. I haven't seen signs of females or males yet.

I guess I need help determining a strategy here. Do i trim these up a little more? I was thinking it might be good to trim up the fading, yellow or dead stuff at the bottom and allow the plant to focus energy on the new growth. I'm guessing I need to let new growth veg out here for a few weeks at least then trim/shape plants and then put into bloom. Need a little direction on that.

IMG_62056.JPG

IMG_62068.JPG

IMG_62077.JPG

IMG_62048.JPG

IMG_62039.JPG

IMG_62027.JPG

IMG_620110.JPG

IMG_62009.JPG

IMG_61999.JPG

Reading through Doc's thread I came across his recommendation to someone who overwatered to

"do a Rescue Drench then let them go as long as possible after the Rescue Drench and then use water with 1/4 strength Transplant and a splash of Tea.....then Growth Energy.....and you should be pushing out healthy branches and leaves."

So, that's my plan for now unless y'all think differently. I'm not sure how old the plants were in Doc's recommendation above.

Or maybe I should just toss these and start over??

We use plastic so we can get a meaty rootball while in veg. The soft pots will air prune the roots so when you transplant out of those soft pots, they will not be swirling around the pot like you would have with a plastic pot. But in flower you don't want them to get get rootbound and the air pruning helps with that.

I'm not sure how much a difference would make between a 10 and 15 gallon. I do know for a fact that in a 15 gallon vs. a 7 gallon it's a huge difference. If you have the room and the soil, go 15s. 1 kit is close to 60 gallons. :thumb:

I have plenty of soil...over half still of the original mix. Yeah I noticed I had good rootballs in the 1 gallon soft pots but like you said the roots weren't all the way to the edge and swirling around like I've seen them when y'all pull the rootball from the plastics. Seemed I had a good rootball with the small, thin veins but not as compact and tight as y'all with plastic.

Sorry beav, that almost looks like a dude...Dude. I'd let others chime in but the females have a noticeable pistils and that looks like a ball to me

That's what I was thinking Nis. Oh well, it is what it is. I'll keep an eye on it and see if any pistils pop through it in the next few days. Shiggity did have one HK plant in his Hunger Games grow that he and Sue just KNEW it was male and it ended up being female.

How long do you have before they start spreading pollen and/or how long do I have to get it out of the tent? I can watch it for another few days and while letting the younger plants grow and catch up. Then hopefully I get at least 1 fem and can ditch the rest.

That's what I was thinking Nis. Oh well, it is what it is. I'll keep an eye on it and see if any pistils pop through it in the next few days. Shiggity did have one HK plant in his Hunger Games grow that he and Sue just KNEW it was male and it ended up being female.

How long do you have before they start spreading pollen and/or how long do I have to get it out of the tent? I can watch it for another few days and while letting the younger plants grow and catch up. Then hopefully I get at least 1 fem and can ditch the rest.
If you are running 18/6 or something similar then they will not flower. So if you want to make sure, clip off a clone and put it under a CFL in a different area with a shorter light cycle. 12/12 or 11/13 is ok. Then you can sex it and know for sure what the mom is.

If you are running 18/6 or something similar then they will not flower. So if you want to make sure, clip off a clone and put it under a CFL in a different area with a shorter light cycle. 12/12 or 11/13 is ok. Then you can sex it and know for sure what the mom is.

The knowledge base around here is amazing, thanks Nismo, I may do that this weekend.

Yes, I'm running 18/6.

Back
Top Bottom