Beginner looking for help - With photos

Jazza420

420 Member
This is my first time attempting to cultivate my own cannabis. That being said i have a couple questions i hope you guys can help me with. My main lady is 12 days old now and i noticed on two of the leafs that, the tips were starting to brown, and ive read online about possible causes and im just not seeing what exactly it could be. If its Hot soil, light burn, or overwatering.

Let me describe my grow for you guys, i am growing in a all purpose organic starter mix (made up of sphagnum peat moss, horticultural vermiculite, perlite.) i did 1/2 organic starter 1/4 worm castings and 1/4 perlite to make my soil. I Just ordered a 300w led Grow light with my tax refund, but while i wait for that to come in the mail hopefully 4 days or less, in the mean time, I am using 2 100w equivelent LED Daylight bulbs that are 6 inches above the plants along with 6 100w daylight CFL that is 24inches above the plants 24 hours a day. And i am also watering with distilled water. The plants I am growing are Alien OG from seed

Main_Alien_OG_12days.JPG
Main_lady_12days_tip.jpg
main_lady_sister_12days.JPG

I have two questions, 1. What would be causing the tips of my plant to yellow and brown, Also, i had 2 plants come up and im wondering if i try to replant them so there is just one plant in each container, if they are big and strong enough to survive and any recomendations on that. Thanks so much for the help, I hope i can get this all figured out before its too late.

The browned tip is due to the leaf tip touching the soil i believe. As for transplanting it should be fine nust wait for them to get their first 5 fingered leaf. Then around the base of each one cut a 3" circle as deep as you can around each seedling...what i do to get it out after is take 2 big spoons go under the plant deep enough so you clear the roots, then put them in their new home.

Ahh yes that makes sense. Awesome thanks for clearing that up for me. Hopefully as she grows it gets a little taller and stays healthy

I might add that plants need a sleep time to repair tissues, to create new cells, etc, just like animals do. I would put them under 18/6 as soon as you transplant. If your OG is sativa-heavy, expect it to take longer to grow than Indica-heavy strains. My OG Kushes took twice as long to grow and mature as my Bubblelicious Indicas.

Health will depend on a number of things: keeping a clean grow area, not over-watering or over-feeding, and dealing with the mites as soon as you see even ONE under a lower leaf!

As soon as I get my light I'm going to start a grow journal and see if I can't get something out of these. I'm really looking to just learn as much as I can this grow, because in 6 months I'm moving to a location where I can actually get a good grow up and running, right now I'm working with a micro grow. But still think I can learn lots. I really want to do organic grows, so I'm trying to learn up on what I need to do, in order to keep these plants healthy and happy without all the ferts.....I guess we'll see cause right now I worry about facing some real nute problems down the road

I'd move the CFLs closer - a lot closer. They don't do much that far away. Try 2".
I agree about switching to 18/6. 24/0 offers no advantage. It is a liability.
Transplanting is fine as long as you can separate them w/o destroying the roots. If they are close together and the roots are really intertwined, use a razor blade or very sharp knife to cut and separate them.
The leaf tip is probably nothing. If that's the only part of the plant that looks that way, let it ride. If you see more and more of it, look at 'K' and PH.

Sounds good, ya I agree, I did move the cfls down they are now about 4 inches away. Also right now for my 4 plants I'm using two 5inch bloom plastic planters And a 16oz solo cup. I was going to transplant the one, into a 5inch bloom pot as well but I was wondering if I should just purchase a 5 gallon smart pot and transplant it into there once it grows its first set of fully developed leaves or if that would be over potting it?

Sounds good, ya I agree, I did move the cfls down they are now about 4 inches away. Also right now for my 4 plants I'm using two 5inch bloom plastic planters And a 16oz solo cup. I was going to transplant the one, into a 5inch bloom pot as well but I was wondering if I should just purchase a 5 gallon smart pot and transplant it into there once it grows its first set of fully developed leaves or if that would be over potting it?

This is just my opinion, but I would do an intermediate transplant, maybe to a 1/2 to 1 gallon water jug, so you don't have a lot of soggy soil around a plant whose root system isn't big enough to handle it all. When the gallon jug is root-bound, youcan put her in her big-girl pot, the bigger the better, for the rest of her life.

As I was leaving for work, I looked at my ladies and the the same one is showing browning on a newer set of leaves.....I would be shocked if they are getting nute burned from hot soil cause the only thing with it, would be the worm castings......when I get home from work I'll take some pictures of it, and better pictures of the plants

So here are the pictures.....I just don't get how it could be nute burn since all I have is the worm castings and that's not strong enough to burn it I didn't think
image7201.jpeg
image7202.jpeg

Could this be a nitrogen deficiency? Or since I am a rookie could it be from over watering?? It's got me a little worried since it's showing up on new growth as well

Worm casting won't over nute your babies. At most it is usually something like 1-0-0. Since your soil has no nutes, I'd let it go. Low or locked-out 'K' can cause tip burn too, but I wouldn't do anything yet.

You could go either way with the transplant. I'd go 1 gal then 5 gal.

Okay thanks ya I'm just going to let them go and see if it gets better or gets worse cause right now it doesn't lol like it's getting worse but we'll see. As for transplanting them, since I'm having this issue Which I believe has to be coming from the soil, that I would change my base organic mix, with roots organic. And add my worm castings and fish meal and follow the general recipie for super soil. What kind of soil do you use? I wanted to go organic and not pump them full of chemicals and ferterlizers since I'm just growing these medical plants for myself. I've always heard if you go organic, it's smoother and taste better.

But ya https://www.--------.org/t/sharing-my-modified-subcool-super-soil-recipe.526665/
This is the recipie I was going to kinda base my transplant soil on....any thoughts tips suggestions??

I'm new to soil-building. I make my own but am experimenting with ingredients and amounts. I use the following:

BONE MEAL
GUANO (BLOOM-TYPE, HIGH 'P')
BLOOD MEAL
FEATHER MEAL
ROCK PHOSPHATE
EPSOM SALTS
DOLOMITE LIME
AZOMITE
HUMIC ACID POWDER
KELP MEAL
NEEM MEAL
ALFALFA MEAL
MYCORRHIZAE

My base is "ancient sawdust" (30+ years old, much like peat moss) and pumice for drainage and lightening the soil (instead of perlite).
I'd use ProMix HP for my base but I make soil by the cubic yard and buying bales of potting mix gets crazy expensive. So far the sawdust seems to work well, has good PH and a small amount of 'N'.

Nice. That seems pretty legit. First I've heard of it but can see how it would totally work. I bought a bag of roots organic from my local grow store so I'm going to use this for my first time around. It seems to be pretty forgiving when it comes to begginers. For what ever reason I'm not really impressed by the ffof soil, although it appears to be what everyone else in this world grows with that does soil grows. I plan on using this roots and making my super soil with it, and let it sit for 30 or so days to balance itself out, but I just got the first set of true marijuana leafs or the 5 blades so I'm going to transplant the two that are in the same potter into their own pots, and I'm just going to use the roots organic straight up for now. Then after 30 days and my super soil is thriving I'll transplant my 4 babies into their 3 gallon smart pots. Or well I'm kinda debating on going with the 3 gallon fabric pots or 5 gallon but I got a cpl weeks before I have to pull that trigger on that. One of my plants while I was fckn around with the lighting took a hit and snapped. I transplanted it into a new pot and buried it up to the leaves, it pulled through and lived but it's def got some crazy growth mutations going on right now, like it super cropped and now is putting up two branches instead of one. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I've decided to name her revenant because the damn thing just keeps fighting to live. its nice to have a new hobby to invest my extra time into

Had no idea they now have a way to determine sex by the seed now, wish I would have saw the volcano sexing video at the start. Oh well, hopefully I get females no herms and males. But if so hopefully at least one is a female and I'll be happy

Back
Top Bottom