Blazingbuds' CFL & LED Soil Grow - Unknown Strain

Blazingbuds

Hey guys, welcome to my grow! Now let me start by saying i have ZERO experience with growing; but I've been lurking here as a guest for months. Before i get any comments, I'm seriously lacking on the grow equipment, I know. Recently, I picked up some Medical Cannabis, and there was a very healthy looking seed. I couldn't help myself. Shes germinated and now about 5 days old. Shes been transplanted into soil I dug up outside.

As far as lighting goes, I have A 60w CFL (putting out 900 lumens) and a 6w LED (putting out aprox. 350 lumens.) 24/0 light cycle. During the day I put her on my balcony for natural sun, and at night she gets the lights. Shes fine for now, only a half inch sprout. I realize i need to get more lighting, and that will happen... When i get my pay check.

Currently for my grow space, im using a cooler. I chose this because it was the smallest suitable "grow box."
From what I've read, the smaller the space the less light you need. I'm trying to use this to my advantage. I have a half sized closet i plan on moving it into once it gets bigger. The dimensions of the cooler are aprox. 1' x 1.5'x1. The closet has adjustable shelving so i can manipulate my grow space to better serve me. More details on that later.

Lastly, Ill be doing this grow the most economical way possible, so the less money spent the better.

As of now, I've have spent NOTHING on my grow. (Except for the fire gram i bought, which got me the seed.)

Pics to come guys, hope you'll follow me on this journey.

:thanks:

re: Blazingbuds' CFL & LED Soil Grow- Unknown Strain

20150808_225249.jpg
20150808_225125.jpg
20150808_224922.jpg
20150808_224146.jpg

Hey good luck with your grow man . I'm just getting ready for my first too . I sectioned off a small section of my closet 30 x 22 x 66 inches . I have 4 seeds in rout right now . Im gonna grow them in my closet but I'm planning on cloning some of trimmings and picking the best clone as a mother as long as I get some decent genetics . I love the cooler idea . I was thinking about the mom in the bottim of a fish tank stand but i can use that spave to grow out my clones amd still momma in the cooler . Great idea bro . Exciting times . Best wishes on your grow

Nice, ill have to come check out your journal as well. Thanks for the compliment on the cooler, it feels so ghetto, but i guess its working out well for me. Last night I was going to go to bed, but wanted to see if the seed with taproot i planted early that morning had sprouted. It hadnt. Woke up sometime in the middle of the night, and it had sprouted, somewhat significantly! I was like damn. But need to get so more lights soon, gotta keep her happy.

Wow, its been an eventful day. I spent the day with family and ripped around the woods in a new 2016 Polaris 570 EFI. The GF brought my seedling inside, so it wouldn't get drown by the storm, which I appreciated. But I went to check the cooler and it had been like 7 hours with no light. It looked the same as yesterday, maybe a little taller. Ah well i thought, turned on the light and browsed on here for a couple hours. Went to check in on her, and the sprout had popped open magnificently. Totally different look compared to two hours earlier.

Can I get some opinions on how that seedling is doing? It looks slightly dull purple or brown on one of those leaves. The stem was purple early on too, its fine now though. Maybe its deficient in nutrients? That is my best guess, considering that I dug up the soil from outside. I don't know if that's even a factor this early on?

Thoughts? Please and thank you.

Pics coming in a few minutes guys.

20150809_211552.jpg
20150809_211445.jpg

Whats up guys!!! Slowly adding to my grow, it'll get better by the week. I SWEAR. As I stated above, I'm trying to be as economical as possible. So naturally I made a trip to Walmart. Anyway, I spent about 25$-30$. I found CFL bulbs that put out 1600 lumen a piece, at 23 actual watts. (100 watt equiv.) They have a color temperature of 2700k, which should be nice to flower. I plan on adding some 6500k, as I believe that will not stretch my plant as much. anyhow. Comments? Suggestions? Criticism? LEMME HAVE IT.

20150810_144752.jpg
20150810_142147.jpg
20150810_134713.jpg

Hey blazing looking good bro . I'll leave a link once I start my journal . I kinda started one in the indroduction part but I need to get it in the right place so people can seeb it . Ones I get my beans here I'll post one . Never how long it's gonna be

My only advice would be to get better use of your lights . It's fine now for the seedlings but they will start stretching towards the light soon .. I think you could get the same amount of light on them with just one of those lights if you had it in a reflecter reflecting down on it . I just think your wasting electric right now . Same yourself some money and use them lights efficiently . I been reading a lot lately about lighting and how much we waste . We can get alor better yields if we direct as much used light on the plant . a lot of info about lighting I been reading on line .

Yeah, I agree with you on the lighting. I attempted to hang them, but nothing worked from the supplies I had on hand. My plan is to zip tie my surge protector to a 1x4 board, then screw this into the ceiling of my grow. I was also considering chain & hook. Idk, we will see what i decide. This weekend my grow should be looking much more impressive. (The lighting and the plant) I've seen people make a reflector/hood type deal from disposable baking pans. anyway, you guys will see. Hopefully I get some more responses, I love talking with fellow growers. Ill update with pics in a few days, as it seems my journal hasn't attracted many people. Ahh well. Time to medicate guys.

Good luck with everything bro . It's gonna be my first grow too . I seen some pretty cool home cfl reflector ideas . They made it with a short wide basket . They wrapped it with reflective material . They had a little over 300 watts in it . They also has a fan built into the back of it .To suck all the heat out and you can put the light real close to the plant . Looks pretty easy to make actually . I wish I could send you the pic here . Dude grew nice nugs like that . He mixed red and blue lights together . Really nice buds for cdl and it seems to be very efficient . Any I'll be rooting for you bro .

So here is the lamp I was talking about building. It was very cheap to build. It uses three 100 watt equivalent bulbs. (23 actual watts, 1600 lumen per bulb) So that lamp puts out 4800 lumens. Obviously I need more light soon. Ill keep adding, my grow is constantly changing.

As far as my plant goes, shes looking healthy except for some VERYYYY SLIGHT white spots on her tips. Maybe heat stress, or Zinc def. from what I've read. IDK if its even anything. It should be visible on one of the pics. Ignore the glare from the water droplets on her.

PLEASE someone with experience gimme their 2cents.

P.S. The first post indicated that she was five days old. Thats incorrect. She is actually five days old today, broke soil less than a week ago.

20150813_180314.jpg
20150813_180357.jpg
20150813_180425.jpg

Actually, after a lot of research, I've decided to go with a Mars-Hydro 300w led. Found a great deal on it. I'm actually ordering it today!! Glad you decided to stop by!

Also, any ideas on why the first two leaves are looking deformed & curled? Could they deform due to heat stress? I was putting the lights wayyyy too close early on. Its looking a lot better now, baking under the sun.

Quick Update:

I've seen an explosion of new growth this weekend, after I raised the lights. I now know that my lights were way too close. I stressed the plant to such an extent, that its first set of leaves were only one leaved. Anyway, all is well now, as you'll see below.

On another note, I hit the local dispensary. Got my usual 4'gs of shake. ( I'm on a budget lol) Usually, the dispensary throws all its shaky, and more airy buds into the shake jar for a discount price. So who knows how many strains you might get in a bag. But this week, they had headband as their shake. Smells so lemony and skunky, I know its the real deal. Now for the icing on the cake...............
I got about 6 seeds out of that. So ill be germinating some soon, dont know how many yet. I want to stay under 3 plants because of space limitations. But maybe ill do 4 small ones and do a SOG. I added a fan as well as 2 cups of water to raise the humidity. My soil would be getting bone dry over night. It seems to have helped a little.

On yet another note, I'm holding off another week or so to order the 300w LED mars hydro light. I'll be back to work full time soon, and will have a little more wiggle room with my cash.

Ill leave you with some pics, hope you guys had a great weekend, I know I did.:volcano-smiley:

20150816_224419.jpg

You can see the full leaves are finally starting to form. On the bottom leaf you can see how the leaves grew fused together due to stress.
20150816_224258.jpg

The grow; added the LED once again. Also bought a fan to blow on my CFL's. Keeps down heat significantly.
20150816_223651.jpg

The seeds!!
20150816_223300.jpg

This is the headband from which I got the seeds. Again, these are the less desirable dispensary buds so hopefully mine will look a little denser.... and frostier. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom