Blue Dream (3) - 1st Grow - Soil - CFLs - Indoor

Re: Blue Dream (3)- 1st Grow, Soil, CFLs, Indoor

Arnt you glad you didn't toss em? haha! Their looking great man and taking well to the LST. Try to keep the temps down around the 80. The rust color you're seeing is possibly calcium/magnesium deficiency. Way to fix it is to add some CalMag to the feed. Or add epsom salt (my little secret) and it should take care if it. (Unless it's not calmag issues, then i dunno lol)

:goodjob:

Oh hell yeah I'm glad! They scared the shit outta me, but they have come back so strong and beautiful. I just love watching them... plants are crazy! I'm going to try some epsom salt next watering, I did that in the beginning, but haven't watered with any in the new soil so that would make sense! Thanks.. I hope that's it!

Very nice journal Peacocky and the ladies seem to be enjoying the LST quite a bit. I am also doing my first grow and did LST and I am so glad I did. I now have bushes man and I'm not talking about the reggie...lol Good purchase on the PH test kit...I recommend always checking your water runoff, I have caught a few of my ladies slippin up in the higher range when I wasn't paying attention and didn't know till the leaves signaled me bright yellow, now I am able to fix any soil issues with sooner notice. I definitely will be following along for your grow... I'm on my first time as well but may be able to help in some ways... kudos!!

Thanks for joining in! Oh yeah, I was skeptical about LST at very first, but once I read about it and watched it I realized that I probably wasn't going to destroy my plants with my clumsiness- something I'm finding so amazing with the one I've damn near destroyed twice. They love it! They're getting so bushy.

I think along with the cal/mag deficiency and having good water with the ph kit is going to be a very good thing. :thumb:

Hey guys! It's day 31 since little clones, and all three plants have shot up like weeds this past week.

I accidently fried some leaves on TWO different occasions with insecticidal soap and neem oil. The lights have been kept quite low... they sway with the fan, but they're usually about 2-3 inches from the top of the plants and are moved frequently to accommodate new growth. That's what's nice about using CFLs, they're so versatile in how you can mount them in many ways and have so much control as opposed to a set lighting system with HPS or MH.

I finally got mylar, too.. which makes it pretty much as bright as summer early evening sun in there- nice! I'd advise others to go for the 2mil mylar, because it's so much easier to work with and keep smooth, it's definitely stronger than 1mil.

Tons of preflowers, but I had to take these pics with my phone so they may not be as visible. What do you guys think for when I should flower (day 31 now), considering that a bigger, better yield is more important to me than getting bud sooner? I have decent height and could theoretically be 50"-65" considering my current lights. We're going to have to move them into the other closet for flowering, which is much bigger and will probably be easier to climate control. And we'll either double+ our cfl's for cheap or go for a 400watt hps setup. They'll have PLENTY of space to grow in the 5'x6' room!

Okay, onto pics! Should have cleaned up first- but I didn't, lol. And sorry they're so bright/unclear, had to use my phone.

Ezekiel
2011-06-01_16_50_55.jpg

2011-06-01_16_52_13_1_.jpg

2011-06-01_16_50_16.jpg

2011-06-01_16_50_25.jpg

Sir Loin
2011-06-01_16_57_15_1_.jpg
Can you tell where the light was positioned? lol
2011-06-01_16_57_49.jpg

2011-06-01_16_57_23.jpg

2011-06-01_16_58_23.jpg

Wongburger
2011-06-01_16_34_52.jpg

2011-06-01_16_35_05.jpg
caught the kitty in the back :)

2011-06-01_16_33_11.jpg

Thanks for reading, let me know what ya think! :roorrip:

Great job on the LST, the ladies are loving it and bushing out nicely....usually we like our ladies without a lot of bush, but not in this case....lol....Looking nice Peacocky!!! I saw your question about if you should veg them for longer and I would say definitely yes!! Since you mentioned that you will be moving them to a much larger flowering room, I would at least give them another 1-3 weeks before you move them in there. I have read that generally you want to eyeball out your room...plants from what I read tend to stretch 2x to 3x there height in flower so use that to kind of plan out when you need to go to 12/12. Just in growing 3 different strains in my tent, some are stretching much more than others. The ones that had short distances between nodes and stems seemed to stretch much less than the ones with large distances between the stems...yours seem to be loving the LST so I would keep doing that for another week or 2 and you should really see them take off... I ended up vegging mine for almost 2 months before flower, but I noticed after my 4th week from transplant, they really started to just become monsters...(so I imagine within the next week you will really see a big growth) I also read that if you grow your plants to 2', every inch after that they grow will increase your yield quite significantly. If ya got the room and space to do it, and since your going thru the trouble to produce a good nug....why not veg an extra couple weeks to get more from your efforts...? at least that was my philosophy....Great job though on the ladies!!! excited to watch them grow!!!

Well done. The lst on Sir Loin looks like she has 5 identical shoots going up. Awesome!

:peace:
Thanks! It's been very interesting seeing what happens each time I adjust the ties.

Great job on the LST, the ladies are loving it and bushing out nicely....usually we like our ladies without a lot of bush, but not in this case....lol....Looking nice Peacocky!!! I saw your question about if you should veg them for longer and I would say definitely yes!! Since you mentioned that you will be moving them to a much larger flowering room, I would at least give them another 1-3 weeks before you move them in there. I have read that generally you want to eyeball out your room...plants from what I read tend to stretch 2x to 3x there height in flower so use that to kind of plan out when you need to go to 12/12. Just in growing 3 different strains in my tent, some are stretching much more than others. The ones that had short distances between nodes and stems seemed to stretch much less than the ones with large distances between the stems...yours seem to be loving the LST so I would keep doing that for another week or 2 and you should really see them take off... I ended up vegging mine for almost 2 months before flower, but I noticed after my 4th week from transplant, they really started to just become monsters...(so I imagine within the next week you will really see a big growth) I also read that if you grow your plants to 2', every inch after that they grow will increase your yield quite significantly. If ya got the room and space to do it, and since your going thru the trouble to produce a good nug....why not veg an extra couple weeks to get more from your efforts...? at least that was my philosophy....Great job though on the ladies!!! excited to watch them grow!!!

That sounds good, I think I'll reevaluate after two more weeks of vegging. I'm surprised at myself, but I can be patient :rollit: I'm so glad I opted for the LSTing.. it's been very interesting to see what's happening, and from the looks of it I think I could have a good yield if I time it right.

I'm actually getting a 600w Lumatek Dimmable Ballast with 1 400w Hortilux MH, a generic 600w HPS and MH and a cool tube setup tomorrow. I'm going to setup my grow room and have a better idea of just how long I can actually veg. Thanks for the timing advice, I really wasn't sure.

Thanks, lbezphil2005! I was worried about them a couple of weeks ago, but the improvement they've shown is proof enough that they're pretty hardy plants.

:bigtoke:

Some major changes are happening for this grow right now!

I'm in the process of setting up a new closet, keep in mind that I'm in an apartment and can only work with what I've got! Here's what I'm doing:

- 5x6x8 walk-in closet, no existing ventilation
- Mylar lined
- Plastic lining over carpet
- Twin blade window fan for exhaust
- 14" oscillating fan
- 6" flexible ducting, routed from AC vent to closet

-600w Lumatek digital dimmable ballast ("superlumen" function gives 30% boost on 600w)
-400w Eye Hortilux Blue MH (for vegging)
-600w generic MH (transition from 400w)
-600w generic HPS
-6" Cool tube fixture
All the lighting cost me a total of $160, lightly used!

So I've got the closet lined with mylar, the twin exhaust fan, a green cfl (in case i need to be in there during dark hours) and a black shower curtain with a bright white liner since I won't be able to close the door. I'm actually only using about 70% of the space at this time. I won't need more unless I grow 6 in there, and for now it's still semi functional as a closet. Once I get some wire cutters I'll be able to hang my ducting to direct the AC into the closet. I will probably aim the ducting downward on top of the plants.

I'll still be using my current grow closet with the CFLs for vegging smaller plants.

I haven't had a chance to pick up the lighting yet, so that's really the final touch. I'll post pics once I've got em! If you see anything that I'm forgetting let me know :)

Here are today's pics. Glorious ladies in their new room with the new 400w blue mh light.

All are showing pistils; Sir Loin has only a few, Wongburger has many, and Ezekiel is really starting to bloom! I'm assuming this is normal even though I'm still on 21/3. I'm excited because that would seem to signal that they're ready to flower any time. I think I'll be waiting MIN another week, possibly 2 depending on the growth surge under the new light.

Group shot
DSC05949.JPG

New room
DSC05948.JPG

DSC05931.JPG

Just popped up today!
DSC05946.JPG

DSC05939.JPG

DSC05936.JPG

So happy to be seeing this..
DSC05937-.jpg

Wongburger is tallest at 17", and the tallest point is one of the many offshoots from the LST. They are LOVING the new light, it was definitely a steal at $160. Temp ranging 68-84, usually about 81.. a little warmer than I'd like, but I think it's okay for now. All I have to do is turn the AC on to cook it down quickly. RH ranging 36-64, averaging around 50%. I need to buy some nutes... But there are so many to choose from. Hmmm..

Thanks for looking :morenutes:

Wow...what a killer deal on the lights...I have bought most of mine slightly used as well and saved a ton of $$..... I think you really will be happy with your new lighting and space...as well as the ladies....

Once you have that cool tube vented, you should be able to put it pretty close to the plants...I'm also using a 400w MH in cool tube and was able to position it about 14" or so over the ladies... Just an Idea since you have a lot of room to work with....maybe a vertical position for the 400w MH and a horizontal above position for your 600w....with the 3 ladies circling the MH???

Since your going to veg for another week or 2(which is a great decision, let em get big)...I would still recommend tying down/LST to your plants...let em grow as many tops as possible with the new space your using...they will stretch up plenty when you flower....

When I added a 600w HPS to my 400wMH setup...I noticed a large change in how quickly the plants were growing....you will be happy with your purchase!!!

Great job on the new home for your girls!!!! Can't wait to see em fill it out with stinky blue dream nugs!!!!

I see your looking for nutrients..I went with earth juice but there are so many choices...here are a few links that helped me...

https://www.igrowhydro.com/InfoSheets/InfoSheet-Nutrients.pdf

A top nutrient study - Which is the best? Produces most?

Guano: A Gardener's Guide

Humic Acid's Role in Improving Soil Quality and Plant Growth

These all helped me to learn more about nutrients, there roles, and overall make the choice to go organic with earth juice...

Hope it helps...great job so far!!!

Wow...what a killer deal on the lights...I have bought most of mine slightly used as well and saved a ton of $$..... I think you really will be happy with your new lighting and space...as well as the ladies....

Once you have that cool tube vented, you should be able to put it pretty close to the plants...I'm also using a 400w MH in cool tube and was able to position it about 14" or so over the ladies... Just an Idea since you have a lot of room to work with....maybe a vertical position for the 400w MH and a horizontal above position for your 600w....with the 3 ladies circling the MH???

Since your going to veg for another week or 2(which is a great decision, let em get big)...I would still recommend tying down/LST to your plants...let em grow as many tops as possible with the new space your using...they will stretch up plenty when you flower....

When I added a 600w HPS to my 400wMH setup...I noticed a large change in how quickly the plants were growing....you will be happy with your purchase!!!

Great job on the new home for your girls!!!! Can't wait to see em fill it out with stinky blue dream nugs!!!!

I see your looking for nutrients..I went with earth juice but there are so many choices...here are a few links that helped me...

https://www.igrowhydro.com/InfoSheets/InfoSheet-Nutrients.pdf

A top nutrient study - Which is the best? Produces most?

Guano: A Gardener's Guide

Humic Acid's Role in Improving Soil Quality and Plant Growth

These all helped me to learn more about nutrients, there roles, and overall make the choice to go organic with earth juice...

Hope it helps...great job so far!!!

Thanks for all that info! I had better decide quick, cause they're definitely getting ready. The light was a seriously great find, and just less than 48 hours under it and they're absolutely loving it.. they're definitely saying thanks right now! I would like to actually have dedicated ventilation for the cool tube, so that'll be my next purchase.

Thanks for stopping by, always nice to get feedback on this :high-five:

Lots of space for them to fill. They really bounced back from a while ago, as soon as you get nutes and that that HPS going, its gonna be a bud factory in there.

The space is great so far, so the plants and myself.. I can actually be inside the room with them now! I think once the HPS is in I'm going to be a very happy camper, especially with how much they have matured just since my post last night, lots more pistils! I'd assume that this would mean there won't be much delay before they start exploding with sticky goodness after I switch to 12/12.

Ladies are looking healthy and happy.I'm in

Glad to have you join!

im glad i found your journal, because it showed me what i did wrong with the way i lst'ed my plant, instead of me planting it close to the edge and makin it all cramed up when it grows, next time im gonna plant it more in the middle or on the other side of the pot that way it can have room to grow across the pot and not in a little spot next to the edge, besides that your grow has definitely turned around, good job!!! im all in on this one!!! check me out if you got a minute..

Finally, an update! It's day 56 since clone, day 8 days into flowering.

Things have been busy lately, so I haven't had as much time with the plants as I'd like :(

Temps are ranging around 70-82F and RH is ranging 30-55% (usually about 38%). Only "nutrients" I'm using is unsulphured molasses, epsom salts, some generic tomato food in minimal amounts, and 5.5-6 ph filtered water. We've had multiple power outages, once for 4 hours in the middle of the night (needless to say I couldn't sleep) so I kind of worry about the effects of the lights going out for 5min to 30 min to 4 hours! Also, my stupid timer isn't working, so they're being turned off manually at like 7:15-9pm every night but I keep forgetting to turn them off at the same time... Oi.

Started flowering on 6/19 and they've been under the 600w HPS for 7 days , and they've been growing about an inch a day, where they were previously averaging .5-,75" a day. They have definitely sprung up like crazy though... they don't look like the pictures I posted last time... I think they look pretty good. As a basis for comparison I saw a friend's 20 plant 1000w hydro setup that cost him over $2000 the other day and I truly believe that I will yield 3-4x more cured than his per plant. Of course, he didn't top or LST, and didn't veg for very long. About two weeks from flowering, his bud was sparse but beautiful, which may be a result of his ultra sophisticated system combined with lack of patience or real understanding of the growing process as something more than income. But anyways, seeing his plants made me feel pretty good about mine :cheer:

I took a single clone from Wongburger, but I haven't cloned before and don't have a good setup for it, so time will tell if it will survive. Hopefully it does, because I'd love to keep these genetics. Ezekiel is an especially beautiful plant. She's a little smaller than the others, but has the best looking bushy beauty and is flowing like a maniac. Wongburger is a bit stretchy, but she's always had the most vertical reach, and doesn't seem to actually be experience the sort of negative stretching. They'll all be plenty sturdy for lots of nice flowers, but I know I'll need to support them when they start filling in. Throughout the weeks they have shown some very minor deficiencies, but I've been able to balance them out by tweaking nutes.

By the way, pics were taken right before watering, and they were starting to get a bit droopy after 2 days and they've been great about telling me when they're getting thirsty.

Ezekiel! 24" tall
DSC060971.JPG

DSC06111.JPG

DSC06109.JPG

DSC06113.JPG

DSC061161.JPG

Sir Loin 25" tall
DSC06121.JPG

XBox comparison, lol
DSC06119.JPG

DSC06116.JPG

DSC06115.JPG

Wongburger - 26" tall
DSC06150.JPG

DSC06141.JPG

DSC06139.JPG

DSC06132.JPG

DSC061301.JPG

DSC061262.JPG

How are they looking?

Oh yeah, here's some pictures of my new plant that my clone guy babied for me. King's Kush, been in veg for about a month total now and I got it on June 9th... and this fucker is blowing my mind over here. The stalk is so thick I'm a little worried about how I'm going to properly LST her.

She has leaves the size of my hand already at only around 8" tall. This is a trip to watch because it's growing so furiously. It's definitely time to upgrade to a bigger pot.

Next to a gallon of paint for size reference
DSC06095.JPG

Little neglected clone peeking out.
DSC06094.JPG

The vegetation is incredibly dense, I've never seen a plant like this before.
DSC060921.JPG

DSC060901.JPG

Needless to say i'm wicked excited for the King's Kush!

Its been too long hahah since last update. THEIR HUGE!! Try to keep the pH of the water a little higher around 6.0-6.5 for soil grows that way you don't run into deficiencies by locking out nutes. Also thats kinda the way i clone too, it just takes a while, make sure you keep watering that soil the clone is in and spray her with lots of water to keep her the humidity up on her to increase chance of survival.

Nice score on the new clone, that thing is huge for only 8 inches tall, such a beast. :goodluck: :yummy:

Definitely Excited to see the Kings Kush! Smoked some of that the other day and i must say i was very impressed. Are you planning on doing a smoke report on it once it's finished? ;) I'd be very excited to hear how yours came out.

Back
Top Bottom