Bud Washing

You COULD skip the second rinse, and it would be better than not washing, but why not do a second rinse. It's just a bucket of cool tap water.

Oh it was just a general question, was curious b/c i did a wash last week, 1st with food grade non gmo h202 3%, 2nd rinse with organic lemon juice and baking soda at about 100 degrees F, 3rd rinse lemon juice, baking soda again in cold water, but forgot all about the final rinse in pure r/o water (slap in the face) won't be doing that again.

Just wanted to know if i would still be in the safe zone, and if everything would still turn out ok. After washing didn't see much dirt residue left behind so it should be okay. Thanks for your response by the way.

Oh it was just a general question, was curious b/c i did a wash last week, 1st with food grade non gmo h202 3%, 2nd rinse with organic lemon juice and baking soda at about 100 degrees F, 3rd rinse lemon juice, baking soda again in cold water, but forgot all about the final rinse in pure r/o water (slap in the face) won't be doing that again.

Just wanted to know if i would still be in the safe zone, and if everything would still turn out ok. After washing didn't see much dirt residue left behind so it should be okay. Thanks for your response by the way.

That's the best response to 'why not?' I can think of :)

I'm not sure baking soda residue is the best thing to be smoking (ingesting should be fine.)

You may want to wash you buds again with cool water ... no urgency as long as you do it before a lot of smoking ... So I suggest waiting a little bit to see what thoughts others have before following my advice. .. and we are talking about a tiny amount of food safe baking soda - we've all smoked worse :)

That's the best response to 'why not?' I can think of :)

I'm not sure baking soda residue is the best thing to be smoking (ingesting should be fine.)

You may want to wash you buds again with cool water ... no urgency as long as you do it before a lot of smoking ... So I suggest waiting a little bit to see what thoughts others have before following my advice. .. and we are talking about a tiny amount of food safe baking soda - we've all smoked worse :)

haha... Thanks bro...Well as i have been skimming through this forum/sticky about washing your crop (should have done a better job of that 1st hand) i seen someone mention its safe to wash after crop has already been dried. Looking to see if any reliable sources concur with this.

I was thinking it may be safe to give them a nice cool rinse in some r/o but I'm about day away from finishing up the dry, and proceeding with jarring and i really didn't wanna have to dry again for another week, another crop is in rotation to get washed and dried as well. But if it is truly necessary then well whats need to be done will have to get done, eh its what we have signed up for right?

Im open to other opinions from experienced washers? Doc B, Colorado, Ziggy, Gray T ? Anyone?

I'm also wanting to see some feedback about late washing. I personally don't think it's wise to plunge dried buds, but I'm not opposed to being corrected.

I think the lemon residues especially will influence the flavor of your smoke, possibly to an annoying degree. My last 3 harvests were washed weeks apart from one another, the first of which was highly lemonous in flavor, despite being rinsed in warm tap and cold RO water, and the strain isn't known to be lemony. Baking Soda on the other hand is used to make crack cocaine, which means crackheads smoke it all day every day. I'm in no way promoting the use of cocaine in any of it's forms, just wanted to point out that people already smoke baking soda on a regular basis.

I hope I'm wrong about my prediction, but I think not washing again is the lesser of two evils in your case.

I'm also wanting to see some feedback about late washing. I personally don't think it's wise to plunge dried buds, but I'm not opposed to being corrected.

I think the lemon residues especially will influence the flavor of your smoke, possibly to an annoying degree. My last 3 harvests were washed weeks apart from one another, the first of which was highly lemonous in flavor, despite being rinsed in warm tap and cold RO water, and the strain isn't known to be lemony. Baking Soda on the other hand is used to make crack cocaine, which means crackheads smoke it all day every day. I'm in no way promoting the use of cocaine in any of it's forms, just wanted to point out that people already smoke baking soda on a regular basis.

I hope I'm wrong about my prediction, but I think not washing again is the lesser of two evils in your case.

HAHAHAHA Yeah they do smoke it on the reg! HAHA, at least the soda is non/gmo i guess, and yeah I'm not eager to wash again at all especially because their about ready to jar up, besides it was like a table spoon or two at most applied to half a gallon of r/o water. i love lemon flavor though so can't wait to see what that will be like.

My biggest concern/fear about washing cured bud is losing trichomes and since there are methods of creating hash using water, I would think that washing dried bud would not be recommended, unless you save the residue and either make hash or add it back into the bud prior to consumption..

For those who are new to this, here's my method:

4 buckets total. (5 gallon buckets are perfect)

Bucket 1: 3 parts RO water to 1 part 3% H202.
Bucket 2: 5 gallons of RO with 1 cup baking soda, 1 cup Lemon Juice
Buckets 3 and 4: RO only.

Hi! I'm looking to harvest tomorrow and excited to try this bud washing technique, but I only have a suitable amount of 34% h2o2, not 3% strength. Just to check my math, would this mean I should use 1 part 34% h2o2 to 33 parts water (increasing the strength of h2o2 by 11 times, so decreasing the ratio by 11 times) to get the same balance of h2o2 to h2o? (My apologies if this question has already been answered in this thread.) Or is my calculation out of wack?

:thanks:

Hi! I'm looking to harvest tomorrow and excited to try this bud washing technique, but I only have a suitable amount of 34% h2o2, not 3% strength. Just to check my math, would this mean I should use 1 part 34% h2o2 to 33 parts water (increasing the strength of h2o2 by 11 times, so decreasing the ratio by 11 times) to get the same balance of h2o2 to h2o? (My apologies if this question has already been answered in this thread.) Or is my calculation out of wack?

Hey Snack

I'd dilute the peroxide with 9 parts of pure water and then use that as your 3%.

Hey Snack

I'd dilute the peroxide with 9 parts of pure water and then use that as your 3%.

Thanks Doc! Sounds like I should use about 10% of the 34% strength h2o2 solution then. So, if my calculations are correct, using 4g of water (or 512oz), I should use approximately 1/10 h2o2 or about 51oz of h2o2.

If you aren't expecting mites or powdery Mildew, you can skip the h202 and start with the baking soda / lemon bucket.
Otherwise 30/1 water to 34% h202, so 1 pint 34% h202 per 5 gallon bucket.

Cool, thanks. I just wanted to check so I don't accidentally overdo it with the h2o2 and cause bad things to happen, because that stuff is really strong.

I didn't experience mites or powdery mildew, but I did have fungus gnats and some root rot.

My biggest concern/fear about washing cured bud is losing trichomes and since there are methods of creating hash using water, I would think that washing dried bud would not be recommended, unless you save the residue and either make hash or add it back into the bud prior to consumption..

Colorado High,

I think your worry is warranted, if the wash included hard ice and employed the high agitation levels required to dislodge the frozen Trichome from their stalks. I have used the Ice Water/Bucket Screens method to make hashish and it can leave a decent amount of Trichomes still on the buds.

After a "standard" bud wash I have sieved the wash water through the series of decreasing micron bucket screens, and all I have ever collected was debris and other non Trichome particles. In fact, a great case for bud washing is looking at the sieved wash water residuals, lots of stuff I'd rather not ingest or burn, and none of the good stuff.

:Namaste:

Thanks
JB

Colorado High,

I think your worry is warranted, if the wash included hard ice and employed the high agitation levels required to dislodge the frozen Trichome from their stalks. I have used the Ice Water/Bucket Screens method to make hashish and it can leave a decent amount of Trichomes still on the buds.

After a "standard" bud wash I have sieved the wash water through the series of decreasing micron bucket screens, and all I have ever collected was debris and other non Trichome particles. In fact, a great case for bud washing is looking at the sieved wash water residuals, lots of stuff I'd rather not ingest or burn, and none of the good stuff.

:Namaste:

Thanks
JB

I'm guessing when you say "standard" procedure you mean washing fresh produce, while COHigh was concerned with washing cured buds, which also makes alot of sense imo.

But now this has me thinking. Have you ever put something in a baggy like a citrus peel, piece of bread, half a wet q tip taped to the underside of a mason jar lid...and then you over did it? The herbs got too wet and seemed almost "fresh" again.

I wonder if you fully hydrated (slowly) dry herb that wasn't washed, then wash it.....

It also makes sense that dried herb is gonna take on water in a weird way and possibly give you more problems than anything when you try to cure that...also they won't respond well to the agitation at all...

I've read the first 47 pages of this thread carefully, but now that I'm in the thick of things I can't find what I'm looking for. I apologize for being annoying and asking questions that have been answered ad nauseum, but here goes:

I had to harvest a plant before I was expecting to, as it was trying to reveg/go hermie. While trimming, I noticed a few small spots of powdery mildew. I didn't see any on the actual buds/flowers, but of course it can be lurking in there waiting to destroy my hard-won harvest.

I'm committed to washing my buds according to this tutorial, but I can't remember what the additional step is if you suspect PM. H2O2? Lemon juice? Alcohol in the water?

I would really appreciate any help or advice. I'm a rank newbie when it comes to cannabis and the growing of such.

I've read the first 47 pages of this thread carefully, but now that I'm in the thick of things I can't find what I'm looking for. I apologize for being annoying and asking questions that have been answered ad nauseum, but here goes:

I had to harvest a plant before I was expecting to, as it was trying to reveg/go hermie. While trimming, I noticed a few small spots of powdery mildew. I didn't see any on the actual buds/flowers, but of course it can be lurking in there waiting to destroy my hard-won harvest.

I'm committed to washing my buds according to this tutorial, but I can't remember what the additional step is if you suspect PM. H2O2? Lemon juice? Alcohol in the water?

I would really appreciate any help or advice. I'm a rank newbie when it comes to cannabis and the growing of such.

Go for 4 buckets worth:
1. H202 mix (for the pm)
2. lemon juice/baking soda mix
3. water (warm)
4. water (cool)

Hi SevenVeils! I had PM problems on a Blueberry plant I grew during flowering. I washed my buds with 4 buckets almost identical to how Radogast has listed. The buds are pm free and smoke great. I still have a jar of it thats been curing for over 6 months now and no PM :) Good Luck!

Great to hear. I have three autos I'm about ten days out on and I'm super nervous about PM with this crop. We're in a mean high humidity stretch and they are finishing in my greenhouse which stays a bit humid....

I'll be adding a fourth bucket this time.....

Back
Top Bottom