Bud Washing

Man you should have seen the pollen floating around north Seattle today. Looked like it was snowing.. literally!

I saw it on my plants when I brought them in,,, they got a good bath and another round of neem tonight at lights out. It's only starting here,,, but, like I said, I'm breathing great and the less meds I'm on, the happier I am.

H2o2 is a last step measure.

To be honest if I get grey bud mold (botrytis) it's thrown away as it should be.

Powdery mildew is caused by lack of build knowledge period. H2o2 shouldn't in all reality be a procedure. This is gonna sound harsh and I don't mean it that way but if you got pm or bud rot washing is the least of your concern fix your Damn environment asap.

H2o2 is a last step measure.

To be honest if I get grey bud mold (botrytis) it's thrown away as it should be.

Powdery mildew is caused by lack of build knowledge period. H2o2 shouldn't in all reality be a procedure. This is gonna sound harsh and I don't mean it that way but if you got pm or bud rot washing is the least of your concern fix your Damn environment asap.

I couldn't agree more. But if someone is growing 2 plants at a time, and they're counting on the harvest to keep them supplied, the H202 step is a good thing.

Me? I'd toss it without thinking. But not everyone has the same luxury to do so.

I guess it could come to your reason for growing and need for meds... But personally, in my position, bin.

Here is an example of why I budwash.... This dust was collected in just the 80 days of flowering... Imagine all that dust on the buds..... and with about 90% being human skin...yuck... wash em clean :)

IMG_20150507_151012.jpg

My buddy kicked me down some colas that got infected with spider mites. We sprayed the crap out of them with doktor doom then rinsed them off thoroughly in 5 gal buckets. When I got home with them later, I gave them a good scrub under running water. Dried them and then popped them into the freezer to kill off any remaining mites and burst eggs--just theorizing. No trace of any mites and the bud smokes pretty decent. No "crackling" Iv'e heard could happen if you smoke mites.

After the experience I figured I would wash my buds off regardless. It just makes sense if you use any pesticide, you wash apples off after buying them so yeah.

Another good reason is if you grow outdoors. I once found some birdshit in a bud.

Still no allergy meds for me.... after growing outside this spring with pollen in the air and inevitably on my plants,,, I'll be double washing. But, always washing from here on out...

This makes complete sense to me. Thank you very much for this Bud Doctor!!! Everything else we put in our body goes through safety measures, so why shouldn't the flowers we smoke go through the same process. I'll be washing my plants. I was a little worried at first that the washing would remove resins and the trichomes, but after reading numerous posts that's not the case at all. On top of that it allows for a cleaner and smoother smoke. What's better than that?

Maybe I should post this in the Old Guys Forum ... :Namaste:

Back in the 70's a government agency decided to try and eradicate MJ in Mexico by crop dusting it with an chemical agent called "paraquat" (sp?). Within a few months the plants that didn't get fully covered and didn't die were harvested by the locals and it began showing up in the major ports cities in America. That was one nasty chemical and dozens of friends and family were smoking that crap as that was what was available at the time (. The MJ environment is nothing like it is today, it was treated more like LSD, Hard Drugs, etc, it was Nixon 70's).

In my part of the country, folks tried lots of things to try and make the Paraquat go away (some things made it worse!), but a few folks started washing the buds in a bucket with lemon juice and then rinsing in tap water and then air dry (half of a normal "Lid" was "shake" , leaf, and was useless, but an OZ did cost all of $10, a pound was $120, no bull$h!t). We were so surprised that it worked! It made for the smoothest "Mexican" herb most had ever used, which it never was even before Paraquat! It became standard practice until I got out of the game around 1980. Glad to see it hasn't died out considering all the nasty things that could be on produce. Like others that have tried have said ... why wouldn't you wash it?

Hey guys its been awhile since I've been around. Been catching up on the reading and its all good. But here's a story for you to support bud washing.

I first tried washing on my first real successful seed to harvest grow and everything that has been said about the benefits of washing was true. Friends and family held me up on their shoulders giving me accolades about how smooth the smoke was, how this was the "Firer", how the smell was so strong etc etc etc. My head grew so much that a ten gallon hat was to small to fit, I was walking around looking like "Hey Arnold".

Well, I didn't take any clones on this plant (it was a freebie from Herbies) so I re-vegged it instead and the second crop was around 2 1/2 zips more than the first. But for whatever reason that came about I didn't wash the second harvest (lazy I guess), big mistake. Those same family and friends who had previously paraded me around on their shoulders talking about how good the weed was, now were kicking me to the curb bad mouthing me. How could I be giving (yes giving I don't sell my stuff) them reggie to smoke? I was undone, this was the same plant that months before they raving about.

Bottom line is this, wash your stuff it improves the whole experience. What I found out was that the second harvest eventually measured up to the first harvest but it only occurred after it was left untouched in its cure jars for a month or two longer than the first.

This is news to me that washing weeks after harvest was effective.

Exciting news.

I can try washing my produce from the marketplace !! :)

Did you notice if any more tric heads snapped off in the process? I thought trichomes become more brittle when dried and cured?

Back
Top Bottom