Bud Washing

I blew up a portion on the left to show the trichs - It seems like they'd be damaged, but they show no sign of it. Even the dried pistils are still attached. When it cured, this was extremely potent and sticky.

DSCN17446.JPG

What's your % (amber, cloudy, clear)

What's your % (amber, cloudy, clear)

I usually don't check, sorry. :cheesygrinsmiley: I run sativas and sativa doms, and I let them run as long as they'll keep blooming. If I had to estimate, I'd say that they probably get to 10% amber, if that. The older trichs will be degraded, but the new younger, clear ones will outnumber them.

I usually don't check, sorry. :cheesygrinsmiley: I run sativas and sativa doms, and I let them run as long as they'll keep blooming. If I had to estimate, I'd say that they probably get to 10% amber, if that. The older trichs will be degraded, but the new younger, clear ones will outnumber them.

So how do you know they are done blooming?
If not trichomes, what is your indicator?

So how do you know they are done blooming?
If not trichomes, what is your indicator?

I too would like to know this?

Oh and yeah bud washing for the win! It's so simple and yet there is only a small selection of people who do it!
I will never not wash my buds and I have even water cured weed brought from locals because I miss that smooth and CLEAN smoke!

Graytail is growing High Brix. With that method you don't get much in the way of amber triches....just new triches. Like me, he harvests when the buds are done swelling. We just don't get amber triches much in High Brix soil.

"When the buds are done swelling" ... so calipers and a notebook?
I turn my plants through the week. I would never be able to know when swelling stopped by eyeballing them.

"When the buds are done swelling" ... so calipers and a notebook?
I turn my plants through the week. I would never be able to know when swelling stopped by eyeballing them.

I find that when I pay attention and watch, I can just 'tell' when they're ready. It's part of being a good gardener. Checking triches is nice, but mine don't change color since I've been growing high brix plants.

I recently took a strain 21 weeks....nothing amber.

The bud swell isn't subtle - you'll know it when you see it. The new calyxes are creamy white pale things and huge, completely covered in trichs. That's a lot of new real estate. My plants will usually keep that up for a couple weeks. For me, the normal bloom phase ends, and that's when most people get out the loupe 'cause they look done. The pistils have all browned and shriveled up and calyx production stalls.

But if your soil has enough oomph in it, you can just wait and watch and sure enough, they'll start making calyxes again, only this time they're the pale sparkly things. In many strains, the entire look of the buds change. They can get all gnarly and distorted looking - they "swell up". :cheesygrinsmiley: At that point I really don't care about degraded trichs because I'm getting such rapid development of the freshest of fresh.

When that phase stalls I'll chop it (that or nanners :cheesygrinsmiley:). I don't want all those juicy new trichs to degrade. When the new pistils stall and brown, she's done.

In a couple of weeks I will try this bud washing idea. I am so excited. Thanks Doc Bud, and also curso for doing a grow journal with Sour D #2 a year ago. I looked all over for reviews of this strain and am glad I picked it up. Curso you said it was awesome I cant wait.

I usually don't check, sorry. :cheesygrinsmiley: I run sativas and sativa doms, and I let them run as long as they'll keep blooming. If I had to estimate, I'd say that they probably get to 10% amber, if that. The older tric's will be degraded, but the new younger, clear ones will outnumber them.
Thanks for information like you say the "cloudy" tic's is were the thc is (strongest) Personal choice that's what makes it interesting - the 14 day harvest window helps in one's choice

ok...I grow about 20 outdoor indica's that range from 5-6.5 ft and very bushy...think trainwreck...I hate/love harvest time...can I buck my plants up fresh, then wash before hanging to dry???...I hate dry trimming...its probably been answered somewhere in 27 pages, but when yer busy ya just gotta ask and hope to not get flamed...;))

mojo

I don't know what "buck my plants up" means, but if it means can you wash them with leaves, yes. You can. I remove all the fan leaves and petioles to the base of the stem, THEN I wash the rest of the cola, let dry, and/or trim immediately after washing and letting drip dry. All the sugar leaves get washed also, which is nice. That way you don't have to dry trim.

bucking is just how I describe trimming up the plant...ideally with this method I can trim to drying state, if you will, then wash them, let them drip dry, and continue to dry until cure-time???...I have 15 outdoor plants, and my health is a prob...I want to buy a power trimmer for the small stuff, hand buck the bigger flowers, then wash them...will this work???

appreciate the response

mojo

ok....mark me down as reading comprehension challenged...the answer was in your post...I just brain-farted...thanks again

mojo

bucking is just how I describe trimming up the plant...ideally with this method I can trim to drying state, if you will, then wash them, let them drip dry, and continue to dry until cure-time???...I have 15 outdoor plants, and my health is a prob...I want to buy a power trimmer for the small stuff, hand buck the bigger flowers, then wash them...will this work???

appreciate the response

mojo

ok....mark me down as reading comprehension challenged...the answer was in your post...I just brain-farted...thanks again

mojo

No worries! I have those by the minute. ;)

After washing the buds, hang them to drip dry until no longer dripping. Then place the buds in your drying environment, along with a fan to keep the air moving, and maintain an RH of 40% to 60% until the stem for each individual bud is dry enough to snap off instead of just bend. Higher than 60% you run the risk of mold, lower than 40% will not evenly dry out the buds. Temperatures are less of a concern but should be between 60° and 80°.

Back
Top Bottom