Bud Washing

Welcome friend!

Your English is excellent, I can't speak any other language so good for you!

Thanks, Hiddenkoncept! It is based on my school english (yes and internet :-D ).

Now I will investigate to water curing. Many thanks for this information (and links).

I wish you all the best!

Oh and thanks for the info on the Boveda Humidipaks, I been trying to think of a way to slow down my dry as it was way to quite last time and effected the cure!!!
Any other advice for slowing down the dry period?

Even without the Boveda packs (I also use and recommend them), you should finish the cure in an airtight container, ie a jar. If you think they are drying to fast, jar them a little earlier. If, after being in the jar awhile, you think they are too wet, you can always take them out and let them dry a little more, or just leave the jar open longer when you 'burp' them.

First at all; sorry for my bad english: :-(

I had to use means against Spider Mites two weeks before Harvest (im sad to say that).
I use "Nite Nite Spidermite". It works, but after drying the harvest (11 days), the buds taste absolutely unpleasantly and it smells very unappetizing. Horror! :-(

My Question: Can I use the method although i dry the buds (11 days drying). I want to clean the dried buds.

The best greetings to everybody

I wouldn't wash them dried.

I can't comment on water curing. I hope that works out.

I've dealt with spider mites in the past. They almost made me give up growing at one point! This was way back in the 90's when I was much younger. I wanted to say I was a little dumber back then too, but some days I wonder :blalol:

The humidipaks are good until they become dried out and stiff, typically around a year or so. I'm still using the same humidipaks that I first used for my first grow nearly a year ago. The shelf life of unopened humidipaks is around 2 years as long as they remain in a tightly sealed environment so that they don't dry out.

been using bovieda paks since last fall...when they dry out, get a tub of water...place a bowl upside down so the water does not contact the top of the bowl...place bovedia on top of bowl with no contact with the water and put lid on tub...let sit for a few days and Bob's yer uncle...you have to have a lid for the tub or they will not re-absorb moisture...hth

I use the larger size pak...60 or 80 grams in one gallon glass jars...bud is better now than when put down after cure...;)))

mojo

been using bovieda paks since last fall...when they dry out, get a tub of water...place a bowl upside down so the water does not contact the top of the bowl...place bovedia on top of bowl with no contact with the water and put lid on tub...let sit for a few days and Bob's yer uncle...you have to have a lid for the tub or they will not re-absorb moisture...hth

I use the larger size pak...60 or 80 grams in one gallon glass jars...bud is better now than when put down after cure...;)))

mojo

That's a great method! Thanks for sharing that.

I've reconstituted a dozen or more by dropping a spoonful of water into a snack-size ziplock along with the dried Boveda and set it on top of a light panel where it can get all warm and steamy. At first I was careful not to let the Boveda get wet, but it doesn't matter. As long as the paper is intact, not wrinkled or scraped, it will pass the moisture properly. Sometimes, I've had to carefully work with one that dried solid before I caught it. After a day in the baggie, a really hard one will still have solid pieces, and you can crack them a bit through the paper. I haven't lost one yet, so they're fairly sturdy I guess. :cheesygrinsmiley: I haven't tried simply dumping one into a glass of water, but I wouldn't be surprised if that works as well as anything. The important thing is not to damage the paper.

I've reconstituted a dozen or more by dropping a spoonful of water into a snack-size ziplock along with the dried Boveda and set it on top of a light panel where it can get all warm and steamy. At first I was careful not to let the Boveda get wet, but it doesn't matter. As long as the paper is intact, not wrinkled or scraped, it will pass the moisture properly. Sometimes, I've had to carefully work with one that dried solid before I caught it. After a day in the baggie, a really hard one will still have solid pieces, and you can crack them a bit through the paper. I haven't lost one yet, so they're fairly sturdy I guess. :cheesygrinsmiley: I haven't tried simply dumping one into a glass of water, but I wouldn't be surprised if that works as well as anything. The important thing is not to damage the paper.

A friend of mine does Boveda with cigars. He takes the gel out of the packet and puts it in a little plastic tin with holes in the top. Or maybe they sell the gel that way. When he gets a rubbery texture, he just pours a bit of water on top of the gel and it soaks in.

My takeaway is the paper is there to keep the gel from messing up your container and product.

Interesting information about reviving Boveda packs.

I ordered a case of the large packs well over a year ago and they are all still going strong. They are always inside a sealed jar though, either in a jar of buds alone, or if I'm not using it, I put them in a sealed ziplock inside an empty jar. I can tell a couple are a little stiffer than the others, but they seem to still be working fine. When I first ordered them, I thought it seemed a little expensive, but now that I realize how long they last, I think they are fairly priced even if I have to replace them every couple years.

Does anyone that recharges these also have a small humidistat? I would be curious to put a fresh Boveda into a jar with one and see what the RH is, then use a recharged Boveda. The only humidity meter I have, that still works, is too big to fit inside my 1g jars :blalol:

Interesting information about reviving Boveda packs.

I ordered a case of the large packs well over a year ago and they are all still going strong. They are always inside a sealed jar though, either in a jar of buds alone, or if I'm not using it, I put them in a sealed ziplock inside an empty jar. I can tell a couple are a little stiffer than the others, but they seem to still be working fine. When I first ordered them, I thought it seemed a little expensive, but now that I realize how long they last, I think they are fairly priced even if I have to replace them every couple years.

Does anyone that recharges these also have a small humidistat? I would be curious to put a fresh Boveda into a jar with one and see what the RH is, then use a recharged Boveda. The only humidity meter I have, that still works, is too big to fit inside my 1g jars :blalol:

I'll trust them on the 62% humidity. Boveda are the ones who came up with 62% as a goal in the first place.

I'll trust them on the 62% humidity. Boveda are the ones who came up with 62% as a goal in the first place.

I trust that my boveda packs keep my jars at 62%. I'm wondering if a 'recharged' one also does. When I went to buy a little humidistat for the jars, I just decided to buy the Bovedas instead and save the cash. I'm sure someone here already had one of the small meters and could test. I had a smallish one that was temp and rh, but it got wet. It's still a thermometer, but no longer measures rh.

I trust that my boveda packs keep my jars at 62%. I'm wondering if a 'recharged' one also does. When I went to buy a little humidistat for the jars, I just decided to buy the Bovedas instead and save the cash. I'm sure someone here already had one of the small meters and could test. I had a smallish one that was temp and rh, but it got wet. It's still a thermometer, but no longer measures rh.

The wonder and curiosity of cannabis growers knows no boundaries :)

The humidipaks are good until they become dried out and stiff, typically around a year or so. I'm still using the same humidipaks that I first used for my first grow nearly a year ago. The shelf life of unopened humidipaks is around 2 years as long as they remain in a tightly sealed environment so that they don't dry out.
Thanks going to purchase some !!!!

Growing outside in the great PNW.
Im completely sold on this process. Running out to get supplies for my upcoming wash. A question I have after reading the entire thread. How important is flushing plants if you are going to do a wash? Have a Purple OG Kush almost ready, and a couple more a week or so behind. This is my first grow, and want to finish growing right, and start drying/curing correctly.

Any more thoughts on temperature of the water for the washes???. Seems to be the variable in this otherwise pretty standard procedure.
Oh and a question about amount of lemon juice, baking soda, H2O2. Was this trial and error to figure out the ratios or is this standard for washing other fruits and veggies?

Why wash then , just curious. You must foliar feed during flower then?

Thanks

Since I use a medium, even though it's soilless, there's some detritus hanging about the grow room. I foliar feed once in a while but only early on in vegging. It's more for my own peace of mind than anything else. After 30+ years of smoking with "who knows what" on the buds, I thought that if I'm going to go the distance and grow my own, why stop at bud washing. I had never heard of it before coming here, but after thinking about it for a while, I couldn't see any reason why I shouldn't try it, at least once anyways. It adds a little extra cost and time to the harvest but compared to trimming, washing takes hardly any time at all and gives my hands a break between plants. The resulting wash buckets don't get that dirty but the color of the buds brighten significantly after the wash and it seems to more evenly distribute the moisture within the bud thus minimizing the common issue of crispy/crunchy exteriors in conjunction with over moist interiors.

Thanks for the insight.
I wash my veggies so why not the buds I guess. Freaks me out though!

Edit: I did try it once, with sup par buds to start with. When I did a comparison wash vs. unwashed there was not really much difference. They both kinda sucked though, I was flowering under MH and very green still at that point. Maybe one day ill give it another shot.

Back
Top Bottom