Bud Washing

Buds washed and dried after 8 days hanging in dark room, no heat or fan just window opened, coolish temps... I took all fans off for compost and trimmed tips of leaves with minimal trichs before washing. The washed buds on drying have pulled in but the sugar leaves are dried and standing out from the buds, making for an easy trim. Is this another side benefit of washing? Anybody else noticed this? Oh and the amount of crap that came out with the wash... 100% washing after each and every harvest.. Thankyou!

As someone who has extracted oils from Cannabis through solvent and solventless methods and multiple versions of each. The hot water or even warm water would start a process of terpene degradation. How much it would reduce the Cannibinoid profile would be minimal unless the water was around 150+ as measured by a study done by Mississippi State University on Terpene/Terpenoid Thermal degradation. I've personally vaped bud washed through cold to room temp water compared to hot washes and the hot wash flavour is much more like that diesel resinous taste vs all the other tasty flavours that are released through trichomes that have not been forced to release their tasty insides prematurely :)

Based on Growlow's findings, I think he's saying we're good in the hot water so long as it doesn't exceed 150°. Otherwise, unless that dieselly resinous taste is not preferred, then skip the hot.

This is what i did...

1st (5 gal.) Bucket - Faucet warm water with a whole bottle of over the counter Hydrogen peroxide.
2nd (5 gal.) Bucket - faucet warm water with a cup full of fresh squeezed limon juice and a cup of regular arm and hammer baking soda.
3rd (5 gal.) Bucket - Clean faucet hot water.
4th (5gal.) bucket - Clean faucet cold water.

Worked good for me, do the gods approve?

This is what i did...

1st (5 gal.) Bucket - Faucet warm water with a whole bottle of over the counter Hydrogen peroxide.
2nd (5 gal.) Bucket - faucet warm water with a cup full of fresh squeezed limon juice and a cup of regular arm and hammer baking soda.
3rd (5 gal.) Bucket - Clean faucet hot water.
4th (5gal.) bucket - Clean faucet cold water.

Worked good for me, do the gods approve?

You'll know once cured and smoked... Just pray to your deity. I have a bud with a stethoscope for mine, lol...

So should we skip the hot water? Is there no benefit?
Just lemon/baking soda/warm water then cold rinse?

Based on reports in this forum, I'd say using hot water you can put your hands into comfortably is reasonably safe. I don't think we can tell at this point how much hot washes help or hurt the product

The papers I read on processing dried herbs and spices claim that cold washes and rinses result in lower bacteria and fungi count on the final product. Studies say hot water washes rinses slightly decrease the quality of preservation. However, none of the studies included Cannabis drying. I use cold water.

The testing I did, trying to wash off trichomes in running water, was under tepid (around 100 F) water. (The results show fresh trichomes don't wash off under forceful water flow) I've not seen anyone else post results of the same experiment using hot water.

I would not use anything warmer than tepid unless I was trying to remove material I sprayed on the plants.
Hot water is a better solvent, but anything warmer than 120 F (50C) will cause rapid changes to the chemistry of most biological material. I would suggest 120 F as a safer upper bound than 150 F for Cannabis washing temperatures.

There's more than one way to achieve good results, but every method I learned about always ends with a rinse in clean, cold water before drying.

Here's my regular reminder.

Never store and reuse wash or rinse solutions. It's important to clean the washing tanks/buckets with detergent and store them dry between uses, otherwise biofilms will form and can contaminate future batches of produce processed in the tanks. Ideally, use food grade containers. Don't use old, scratched buckets.

Everyone needs to know that washing can go bad if you start with contaminated buckets.

Based on reports in this forum, I'd say using hot water you can put your hands into comfortably is reasonably safe. I don't think we can tell at this point how much hot washes help or hurt the product

The papers I read on processing dried herbs and spices claim that cold washes and rinses result in lower bacteria and fungi count on the final product. Studies say hot water washes rinses slightly decrease the quality of preservation. However, none of the studies included Cannabis drying. I use cold water.

The testing I did, trying to wash off trichomes in running water, was under tepid (around 100 F) water. (The results show fresh trichomes don't wash off under forceful water flow) I've not seen anyone else post results of the same experiment using hot water.

I would not use anything warmer than tepid unless I was trying to remove material I sprayed on the plants.
Hot water is a better solvent, but anything warmer than 120 F (50C) will cause rapid changes to the chemistry of most biological material. I would suggest 120 F as a safer upper bound than 150 F for Cannabis washing temperatures.

There's more than one way to achieve good results, but every method I learned about always ends with a rinse in clean, cold water before drying.

Here's my regular reminder.

Never store and reuse wash or rinse solutions. It's important to clean the washing tanks/buckets with detergent and store them dry between uses, otherwise biofilms will form and can contaminate future batches of produce processed in the tanks. Ideally, use food grade containers. Don't use old, scratched buckets.

Everyone needs to know that washing can go bad if you start with contaminated buckets.

I used to follow some concentrate discussions until I decided it wasn't for me. I think your finding of 120f is probably relative to the magic number I was hearing alot back then for heat purging extractions: never over 115f. Despite different methods and phenos, terps are generally preserved at/below this temp, and destroyed above it.

It makes sense that this number would be universal regardless of talking fresh nugs, extracted solvent filled soup, etc.

The last two posts are perfect examples of what makes this place so powerful. Great conversation BrixKlinger and CoNerd!!! Reps to both of you for positive contributions. Also my thanks.

I just want reiterate that the significant degradation of the Trichome and it's internal properties was registered at 150f. This does not mean that it doesn't start influencing at a lower temp. I'd easily believe even 100f is too high like Dutty suggested

100f is not far off tropical temps or body temp, so I would put this at the very lowest threshold to begin your concerns.

When you know 150 is high, and 115 is a metric, and its 100f outside on your outdoor crops you can draw more conclusions about what happens at 100f. Then again there is no doubt that identical plants grown in different environments are gonna register different terpene profiles.

So, spring is in full bloom,, first time in many years, and I'm not on claritin. It's great. I get stuffed up every once in a while, but it doesn't last. Nothing that makes me consider taking anything. So, unless my body decided it had enough, some say allergies change every eight years or something,, but, I'm convinced it's the clean bud I'm a smokin.... very happy

how are people dealing with the fact that bud drys so much faster after the wash with h202? its 6 days drying for me and the buds are snap dry and the stem is still bendy as hell, i have decided to put them in jars now and start the cure which normally i dont start until around day 11.

i think next time im gonna jar them even sooner, as soon as they are touch dry and begin the cure from then....see how that goes

100f is not far off tropical temps or body temp, so I would put this at the very lowest threshold to begin your concerns.

When you know 150 is high, and 115 is a metric, and its 100f outside on your outdoor crops you can draw more conclusions about what happens at 100f. Then again there is no doubt that identical plants grown in different environments are gonna register different terpene profiles.

100f in water has a more consistent temp and depth of saturation than that of Air temp, which fluctuates with something as simple as having air flow or a breeze. So what a plant can handle in 100f air temp (gas) is not the same as in a 100f solvent based solution (liquid) whether it be water, alcohol, etc.

So, spring is in full bloom,, first time in many years, and I'm not on claritin. It's great. I get stuffed up every once in a while, but it doesn't last. Nothing that makes me consider taking anything. So, unless my body decided it had enough, some say allergies change every eight years or something,, but, I'm convinced it's the clean bud I'm a smokin.... very happy

Man you should have seen the pollen floating around north Seattle today. Looked like it was snowing.. literally!

Back
Top Bottom