CanbisMxmus Grows Mothers

Andy, thanks for the link post on the pots. I bought the three gallon in anticipation of the size I prefer to grow, also relying on the improved function of the pot to compensate for size. Simply put, air "pruning" is a way to prevent spiraling roots. Instead of having long roots, you have multiple roots branching from the tap root, which is also pruned, encouraging even more roots. it would really utilize the soil and nutrients better, more oxygen,less environment for pathogens.
Welcome and thanks Dez.

Before you get rid of any of the male plants, do you have a smoke test of them to see if they are particularly strong so you can use them for breeding? Or, do you just look for a particular trait in a male plant for breeding?

Wheelo, Yeah its not the best, but if you were looking to do some breeding you sort of have to give it a go. What do you do to check on a male's desirability for breeding?

well, I have tried to breed only a few times, all but once, I was trying to make feminized seeds. In my first journal here, I bred some lowryder#2's, but i only had one male so I didn't really have much of a choice.

if i was using males, i would go with the fastest to show sex and the fastest to release pollen, try to keep the flower cycle as short as i can. and usually speed = health too which means good at resisting whatever stress you threw at it.

in my second turn, I tried the STS method of creating feminized seeds. I learned from it and think i will have better success with it next time. I chose the SR that showed sex first in that case for a few reasons

1) give it a bit of a head start on the others
2)promote genes which flower earliest
3)i'm impatient to get things started sometimes. lol.

i used the recommended dose on her, and then got zealous and sprayed here with the 10x concentrated solution. I think it over stressed her, and although she made tons of male parts, she had no pollen that I could find. I also STS'd a lemon skunk with the 10x, and she drooped over and died a few days later. I think the first shot prepared the SR for the 10x shot, and allowed it to live.

Now that i have smoked aboth of the SR's i can tell you that i got exactly 5 seeds. I hope that at least two of them will germ so i can try it again. the SR male is in my wheel, and if it makes any of the LS seed, i will have a nice female hybrid to play with. If I even get one seed from the HK i will be happy, but i think i might end up just ordering more of these seeds. i like the way she looks.

anyways, I'm still a newb at this, so I should be asking you what you do not the other way around. do you smoke males? does that work? how can you get mature THC from a male that still has the ability to pollinate others? save the pollen till after it's harvested - smoke it - then decide which pollen to use?

i am still getting up to speed on you journal brother. sorry if these questions are in there.

WoF: DGMGH was not referring to smoking the pollen...lol, but leaf tips.

My male selection process has only been based on overall health and appearance. The healthiest, strongest, and best looking are what I choose (wow, I sound like a chick).

Stully: I did use one of my smart pots alongside a standard container plant (both with WW) for comparison growing, and will compare notes for the general audience.

yeah, after i read it over it does sound like i meant smoke the pollen, but i just meant smoke the male. then use the appropriate pollen from that male. My thinking was if the object is to check potency, it should be fully mature first right? so you'd have to save the pollen, keep them labeled, and grow them out, taste them, find the most potent, and then match up that pollen and go to work.

STS avoids all that because you take your best most potent mom and turn her male and presto, strong potent genes, and feminized.
STS would be a lot easier going from clone, but as I was using autoflower genetics, i could not clone. I had to wait to see sex before i sprayed her down, to make sure it was a female i was spraying. thats the most major reason why i took the first to sex.

are you going to be doing some breeding? i forgot how we got on this subject.

any significant growth on the mommies?

013103.JPG

Not much, slow and steady so far.

Is this grow still alive?
If so, please update us with some pictures and info.

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial
Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

ahh good deal..i have some of those dinafems i need to crack...atually the same seeds u have..ill be looking for that bluehash plant..

Yeah, I definitely did a poor job on this journal, but I have maintained pictures throughout the grow. A big part of my not maintaining the journal is due to the JPEG size limitation, I'm a farmer, not a computer tech. I prefer to take my pics with my camera up to full potential (10mpx), so I can zoom in on the pic real close like. I still have some of the MKU and Blue Widow around and could take some snaps if anyone is still interested.

The end result of the grow was somewhat disappointing due to enivironmental factors, I completely lost the Blue Widow to mold and was only able to try and save some of the genetics by crossing it with MKU, as was the same thing I did with the Blue Hash and the single MKU mother. SO, although I don't the original genetics sent to me, I do have a nice cross that seemed to retain the majority of it's original properties; smell, flavor, and aesthetics. The only thing I can tell that it did, was to add hybrid vigor to a well stabilized variety.

The Blue Widow x MKU cross does not seem to have been as successful. With a very unique aroma and look all of it's own, it's not bad, but it could have been better.

Okay, I modified a pic so you could see what I did to 'em.
420mag_Blue_Hash.jpg

Cano, Were the you been. whats up with the volks's? any new tips? im on my third run and desided to veg and take clones rooot and then run. good to c you around.

Back
Top Bottom