ChillAH's 1st BB X White Widow & Royal Queen Critical Grow

re: ChillAH's 1st BB X White Widow & Royal Queen Critical Grow

Question: Why during a transplant are the roots being exposed and removed from soil?

Usually I try to pop out the complete soil ball from the old pot, and just bury it into the new pot. I've found it's easier to damage roots this way.

I would definitely agree with Antics. Normally you would transplant almost the entire soil and roots into another container that can hold the original soil and plant, plus extra new room for further growth. Looks like you took your time and didn't damage the roots, but much more likely to damage the roots/plant the way you have done it.
That being said, Holy freaking long roots!!!!! ;)
Your plants are looking very nice in the pics from your update earlier this week. Keep u the good work.
Cheers.

re: ChillAH's 1st BB X White Widow & Royal Queen Critical Grow

Question: Why during a transplant are the roots being exposed and removed from soil?

Usually I try to pop out the complete soil ball from the old pot, and just bury it into the new pot. I've found it's easier to damage roots this way.

I would definitely agree with Antics. Normally you would transplant almost the entire soil and roots into another container that can hold the original soil and plant, plus extra new room for further growth. Looks like you took your time and didn't damage the roots, but much more likely to damage the roots/plant the way you have done it.
That being said, Holy freaking long roots!!!!! ;)
Your plants are looking very nice in the pics from your update earlier this week. Keep u the good work.
Cheers.

Antics I did it honestly just from being a noob. I saw on a YouTube video of a guy who transplanted his plants, pretty much the way u described, but I did want to see the plants roots, see how well they were growing.

Stealth,
Yea I took about 10-15mins gently loosening the soil from the roots. Once I got em free I was saying to myself Holy shit, lot of a root growth for such a small plant.

Now something I did notice from my little F up, while she didn't show any bad signs from me messing with her roots, she did hit a drought 1 day after the repotting. Naturally because she wasn't spread out to absorb the waterin the rest of the soil, she started to die of thirst. I gave her a good gallon of water after that and she has since been fine. IN fact she grew a good amt after that too, I'm hoping she will grow some more, im going to flip them to 12/12 in about 2 or 3 weeks. Need to get a flush in there before I do too.

Does anyone know if my other plant is root bound now, how will it effect her during flower? I read root growth stops anyway after 3 weeks into flower.

Antics I did it honestly just from being a noob. I saw on a YouTube video of a guy who transplanted his plants, pretty much the way u described, but I did want to see the plants roots, see how well they were growing.

Stealth,
Yea I took about 10-15mins gently loosening the soil from the roots. Once I got em free I was saying to myself Holy shit, lot of a root growth for such a small plant.

Now something I did notice from my little F up, while she didn't show any bad signs from me messing with her roots, she did hit a drought 1 day after the repotting. Naturally because she wasn't spread out to absorb the waterin the rest of the soil, she started to die of thirst. I gave her a good gallon of water after that and she has since been fine. IN fact she grew a good amt after that too, I'm hoping she will grow some more, im going to flip them to 12/12 in about 2 or 3 weeks. Need to get a flush in there before I do too.

Does anyone know if my other plant is root bound now, how will it effect her during flower? I read root growth stops anyway after 3 weeks into flower.

It's not the worst thing you can do to a plant, and as long as she took to the transplant ok, then no worries. I won't dig up a plant whenever possible, because of the risks associated with damaging roots. But we all live and learn.

The other plant looks fine IMO, what makes you think it could be root bound? And what size is the pot it's in?

The other plant looks fine IMO, what makes you think it could be root bound? And what size is the pot it's in?

Whats up Antics,

I think the bigger plant Roya is root bound, because when I transplanted her the 1st time, her roots were all growing in the shape of the square pot. She hasn't really grown quickly like before in awhile. Her top flowers haven't grown either, undergrowth continues to grow and the LST has been proving pretty effective. I am just curious how a root bound plant is effected during flower. Also both girls take a full gallon of water now, Roya needs to be watered/fed more frequently because of her size and roots naturally.

BTW updates have slowed because not much is going on. Plants just growing, Sil-via keeps getting bigger by the day. She is currently showing signs of nute deficiency on the bottom leaves but other wise pretty happy and healthy. I am waiting for the soil to get a bit more drier before I give her some water. I think I will water tomorrow as it will have been 7 days since being watered. I have also been adjusting and mixing my own strength of nutes.

Time is here, the ladies will kick off their 12/12. Waiting for the bulb to cool off a bit and then i will swap it out. Tomorrow no light at all, then Sunday to start 12/12 light. I have been trying to get the LST down and get ready for the stretch, i will take the ribbon off after 2 weeks, bc it is said that the stretch period will stop after that and the focus will really turn to bud production. The LST has worked nicely on Sil-Via, Roya was a little late, but what i was able to LST did seem to work and caused her to become a little bit bushy. Looking forward to what some consider phase 3 of the growing period. :yahoo::cheer: Anyway here are some pics from tonight and last night before they hit 12/12:

IMG_31597.jpg
IMG_31587.jpg
IMG_31578.jpg
IMG_31546.JPG
IMG_31526.JPG
IMG_31558.jpg

Doesnt hurt to try right? lol

I figured bud production would take awhile to kick, def not anything rapidly to occur.

It doesn't hurt at all. I was going to take end LST before flowering but I'm gonna leave it on and see how it goes.

Hey guys, these are pics from this morning, yesterday was a full day of darkness and today is day 2 of flower but the first time the 12/12 period will be kicking off. I opened the tent this morning and at the top branch and 2nd to top branch I saw these hairs coming out of Roya. Do you guys think these are the white hairs starting to show already. I know it may be hard under the new light to see whether it is really the white hairs, but they sure look like it to me. Can anyone else give their input too.

image15972.jpg
image15971.jpg

Thx Polo that's what I thought lol.

Is it me or is it odd that the white hairs would show up just after one day of darkness?

Also minor update I have the girls a feeding this smorning, first feeding with tiger bloom for both plants. Roya def wanted water because she was starting to wilt, I will push her schedule up a day, she seems to be drinking more and more lately. Her new schedule will be every 4 days.

Does anyone have a Jewlers loop they can recommend and the magnification?

Btw are Cvaults good to cure in after the bud has dried? I been thinking of picking one up.

It's not odd at all, on my last grow I had pistils and calyxes appearing while still on 18/6.

For a loupe or microscope, anything that's 30x minimum, and I'd suggest 60x maximum. Unless it has a large viewing area, anything over 60x is overkill and will only show a few trichomes at a time. I use a small pocket microscope with LED light and it's rated 60x-100x, I only use the 60x setting. Anything over that and there are too few trichomes to view in the lens to get a good idea of the clear/cloudy/amber ratio. I find that a loupe or scope that has a light is very helpful, as we can block out a lot of light with our hands, bodies, and heads as we lean in to view the trichomes.

It's not odd at all, on my last grow I had pistils and calyxes appearing while still on 18/6.

For a loupe or microscope, anything that's 30x minimum, and I'd suggest 60x maximum. Unless it has a large viewing area, anything over 60x is overkill and will only show a few trichomes at a time. I use a small pocket microscope with LED light and it's rated 60x-100x, I only use the 60x setting. Anything over that and there are too few trichomes to view in the lens to get a good idea of the clear/cloudy/amber ratio. I find that a loupe or scope that has a light is very helpful, as we can block out a lot of light with our hands, bodies, and heads as we lean in to view the trichomes.

Thx Antics, I will look for a microscope with that magnification. Should be able to get one from amazon for about $10.

Its been one week into flower, nothing really pic worth has happened, just a lot of growth and stretch. I am actually a lit confused what to do with Roya, she is pretty big and bushy now, I was thinking of cutting some of the undergrowth, just not sure as to what at the moment, anyone have any tips suggestions? So far there are the random white hairs on each plant, but it isn't present everywhere on either plant. I am noticing now though how the sativa side in Silvia is coming through now with her stretch. Roya is staying pretty short and tight with her growth. Anyone here are some pics from today.

IMG_32294.jpg
IMG_32276.jpg
IMG_32265.jpg
IMG_32246.jpg
FullSizeRender16.jpg
FullSizeRender_2_3.jpg

This is a pic that i noticed today from the LST, think I did it to tight or she grew and was partially starting to split herself, thankfully it healed and doesn't seem to effect her one bit. :
IMG_32216.jpg

Sorry for the poor pics of the hairs, I-phone camera couldn't focus in enough and my hand shakes a little bit. Trying really hard to get a nice clear shot of the hairs.

I def have been thinking Roya needs to have some of the leaves trimmed off, I am going to wait for my scissors to come in before i start that. A lot of the undergrowth is crazy, Sil-Via i think will be much easier to manager, although her branches are all over but it seems like they go in a nice direction so it should be easier to fix.

I am also seeing the strain differences between the 2. Roya is compact and has much bigger and fatter leaves, while Sil-Via is longer and has fan leaves similar to a skinny hand. I have been noticing Roya has been shedding a bit more leaves lately and some of the leaves have a strange burn on them. I think i may have spilled some of the ferts on em when I was trying to feed her. Some random leaves are effected nothing consistent. No burns at all on Sil-Via, thankfully. I just have to keep readjusting the ribbon holding the branches down. Overall not much else to report. Didn't think pics would be good just yet since there isn't much to show just yet.

Back
Top Bottom