Comments on Mega Crop with ProMix HP?

Chuckeye

Greetings,

I've used Advanced Nutrients Ph Perfect Micro/Grow/Bloom/Big Bud/Sensizym/B-52 in cloth bags and ProMix HP for my last two grows with acceptable results.

But, I'm kinda tired of all the mixing so I'm going to give MC a go...

I have Shiskaberry clones on the way and will do a side by side comparison with AN/Mega Crop.

To be clear, a 44" x 54" x 4' high enclosure in a 10' x 10' room. 600w MH/HPS, 3 gallon cloth pots.

BTW > my well water ppm is ~500. Can anyone suggest what ppm to mix to ? I assume their feeding schedule will be useless for me ?

I have a bad habit of upping the nutrients until I see burn but would like to avoid that if possible ;)

The plan is to do the whole grow with MC without additives on one or two plants unless the girls look like they need help.

Any comments or suggestions on what to look out for ?

Cheers.

I’m new to MC too but this I picked up along the way. Bluter started a thread on it but it’s closed for adding comments. BRB let me find that link... MC Thread

One caution - MC is known to absorb moisture from the air and it swells up. Since the dosing calls for it to be measured out in grams per gallon then it’s critical to keep it dry so the weight will not change from absorbed moisture. When you open the package scoop out 1/4 cup and store this in your best Tupperware this is where you pull your daily dose from. Next take the bag and remove all the air store in a gamma bucket in a dry area.

scoop out 1/2 spoonful and let It sit on the counter then recheck in a few minutes and it will have crusted over - sucks moisture right out of the air

i wouldn't bother with the side by side.
i'm an AN refugee. MC blows it out of the water in every aspect. price, ease of use, yield - AN couldn't touch it.

I’m new to MC too but this I picked up along the way. Bluter started a thread on it but it’s closed for adding comments. BRB let me find that link... MC Thread

One caution - MC is known to absorb moisture from the air and it swells up. Since the dosing calls for it to be measured out in grams per gallon then it’s critical to keep it dry so the weight will not change from absorbed moisture. When you open the package scoop out 1/4 cup and store this in your best Tupperware this is where you pull your daily dose from. Next take the bag and remove all the air store in a gamma bucket in a dry area.

scoop out 1/2 spoonful and let It sit on the counter then recheck in a few minutes and it will have crusted over - sucks moisture right out of the air
buy tiny ziplock bags, 1inch x 1inch and prefill them. makes things so much easier. Might take 30 mins to fill a bunch up, but its done,

i wouldn't bother with the side by side.
i'm an AN refugee. MC blows it out of the water in every aspect. price, ease of use, yield - AN couldn't touch it.
you using the new stuff? calmag still needed?

BTW > my well water ppm is ~500. Can anyone suggest what ppm to mix to ? I assume their feeding schedule will be useless for me ?
That’s pretty high. You will likely have issues with too much Na, Cl, Ca, Mg and other minerals, and should really consider using RO.

That’s pretty high. You will likely have issues with too much Na, Cl, Ca, Mg and other minerals, and should really consider using RO.
Considered and rejected ;)

As I said, I have recently grown three plants with my well water with acceptable results. I believe the minor issues I encountered were from overfeeding (following recommended amounts) and not the well water itself.

It is now 29 days since I clipped off the top buds on my flowering clones. This is all new growth with a ppm of 620 and ph of 6.0

It is early days but...

From this...

Group after 31 May 2021 web.jpg

To this...

29 Jun 2021 web.jpg

Cheers

Outstanding results! :thumb:

No reflection on your abilities was intended. I just wanted to make sure that you were aware that MC uses almost entirely Nitrate Nitrogen, which is best when you have a quality water source. If you have high ppm water, it's recommended that you use a fertilizer that contains a greater portion of Ammoniacal Nitrogen to help maintain the proper pH of your medium.

Happy gardening!

Outstanding results! :thumb:

No reflection on your abilities was intended. I just wanted to make sure that you were aware that MC uses almost entirely Nitrate Nitrogen, which is best when you have a quality water source. If you have high ppm water, it's recommended that you use a fertilizer that contains a greater portion of Ammoniacal Nitrogen to help maintain the proper pH of your medium.

Happy gardening!

Thank you, I was not aware !

MegaCrop > Total Nitrogen 10% = Nitrate Nitrogen 9.5% - Ammonical Nitrogen .5% One source suggested not exceeding 5% ammonical nitrogen.

Much more studying required ;)

Can you recommend a nutrient line for high ppm water ? Google wasn't much help this time, sigh...

I don't know exactly what is in my water and was hoping to be able to maintain proper nutrient levels by monitoring the color of the leaves and keeping the ph at 6.

My experience with Advanced Nutrients has shown me that I need to keep the ppm under ~ 1000.

Cheers

Can you recommend a nutrient line for high ppm water ?
You might take a look at Jack’s Nutrients. They have one for tap and well water (15-5-20) that has 3% ammonia. I’ve never used it, but Jack’s is a straight up plant nutrition source.

Back
Top Bottom